Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Terry's Tube-a-Ruu 400hp Exotruck

242K views 2K replies 58 participants last post by  22bster 
#1 · (Edited)
My 98 Forester is rusting bad. But rather than buy another shell to swap my motor into. Im going to just build a tube car around the Forester drivetrain. I have started to tear apart the car. Everything from the drivetrain will be used. For now even the stock gas tank, suspension and crossmembers will be used as my initial focus will be to get PA tags and registration for it to make it STREET LEGAL. The end goal is a 400whp AWD Street buggy. It will also give me lots of future things to do. Like a finished project thats never finished.

Old Thread Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired. - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Current situation - Prepping for Road Course awesomeness

Driveline Specs:
Ej206 Stock longblock
2.5i Manifold
IAG Rails with 950cc injectors
Aeromotive FPR, set to 55psi base
Walbro 450
Legacy Outback 5mt
Southbend Stage 3 Ceramic Clutch
Borg Warner S252sx-e Turbo
Perrin FMIC
3" TBE to a Magnaflow Camaro Muffler
AWD
05 impreza 2.5rs front axles because shorter

Wish List:
92mm forged slugs
H-beam rods
Group N Motor Mounts
TS Rear Diff Mounts
Hydraulic Hand brake
265/35-18 Stickies
6 speed, derrrr

Attachments

See less See more
#249 · (Edited)
Beds framed, came out better than I thought. I grabbed some old 1/2" round bar, heated them up with tig and bent them into 90's. Then used them to make lil trusses to support the angles better. I could put the last two braces in the rear window area but I think I'm done for today.

#251 ·
Are you stripping the whole side teeth or at the arbor? Once I started using cutting oil I never stripped any teeth, and to combat stripping the Arbor I would put two Mig tacks between the adapter and the hole saw just to take up some load.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#252 ·
Stripping arbor. It was my fault I forgot washer again. Without washer the arbor only get 2 of the 3 teeth. I picked up a Milwaukee hole dozer hole saw and its holding teeth way better than the dewalts, it still has them all actually after this weekend's progress. Now it's welded to shaft now since arbor stripped. Did a lot of 60 degree cuts too, those are real hard on it since it use so much projection.

#254 ·
Bue you misspelled CNC laser cutter.

Terry: 50°+ always suck to do with a hole saw notcher. I use paper templates and an angle grinder for those extreme notches.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#262 ·
Your truck is coming along great! I was wanted to throw in that I used to go through hole saws pretty quickly due to broken teeth on both Milwaukee and Lennox hole saws. I changed my method of cutting at a slow speed and using oil to running my drill at WOT in 2nd gear because it reduces chattering which is what seemed to be breaking teeth and applying oil seems to be a waste of time unless you had a constant flow of it like band saw coolant. I haven't had to replace any hole saws since I started doing that. My wrist was happier too. Also, imo the Lennox saws are better than Milwaukee. Keep up the good work!

#263 ·
thanks. ya i run at half speed in 1. the dewalt saws i was using were always a little out of round where the rolled the material into a circle, that caused a lot of issues. And ya, the side of me knee hurts from slapping the battery into it all the time. I found the milwaukes to be much better, havent broken a tooth yet. My dad always says, it you aint making chips, your dulling the blade so i just plunge it in there

#264 ·
Been in talks with the guys at Feal Suspension. Looks like theyre going to make me a set of 441 style coilovers with some custom tubes and valving for the truck. The price isnt too bad, and im getting a decent ride, decent service and something built for the height and weight so cant complain. Just got to get it up to the exact ride height and take some better measurements. Im goign to order a heavy duty scale too so i can at least attempt to corner weight the truck.

#270 ·
I think I've finally decided on lights. Going to fit 2008 Honda Ridgeline lights into the frame. They look like they fit where i want them and they also look like they take all the same bulbs so i dont even have to splice the harness. Fronts and rear cheaper that a just a set of decent haedlights and i know they will pass DOT come inspection time