Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Terry's Tube-a-Ruu 400hp Exotruck

242K views 2K replies 58 participants last post by  22bster 
#1 · (Edited)
My 98 Forester is rusting bad. But rather than buy another shell to swap my motor into. Im going to just build a tube car around the Forester drivetrain. I have started to tear apart the car. Everything from the drivetrain will be used. For now even the stock gas tank, suspension and crossmembers will be used as my initial focus will be to get PA tags and registration for it to make it STREET LEGAL. The end goal is a 400whp AWD Street buggy. It will also give me lots of future things to do. Like a finished project thats never finished.

Old Thread Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired. - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Current situation - Prepping for Road Course awesomeness

Driveline Specs:
Ej206 Stock longblock
2.5i Manifold
IAG Rails with 950cc injectors
Aeromotive FPR, set to 55psi base
Walbro 450
Legacy Outback 5mt
Southbend Stage 3 Ceramic Clutch
Borg Warner S252sx-e Turbo
Perrin FMIC
3" TBE to a Magnaflow Camaro Muffler
AWD
05 impreza 2.5rs front axles because shorter

Wish List:
92mm forged slugs
H-beam rods
Group N Motor Mounts
TS Rear Diff Mounts
Hydraulic Hand brake
265/35-18 Stickies
6 speed, derrrr

Attachments

See less See more
#188 ·
I assume you are mounting the seats on side mounts, right? You can get some nice think strap, keep it small, for 3''. Plus you have the tube strength to the trans tunnel. Want to go overkill, run 4 smaller bars between the 2 running across, maybe 1.5'', then lay the strap on that plating the top and still having access below.

May be the ticket right there

#190 ·
White makes easy to find leaks, cracks, etc.

You have a TIG now, a AWIC hidden in the cowl would be sweet and let you run a standard direction manifold.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#200 · (Edited)
its 1020 erw, same material as regularDOM, its just not drown over a madrel for tolerances. Yeild 55250, tensile 64860. but im using .140 wall

If i take a peice of my tube 1.66OD x .140 wall, It would hold 43,359 lbs
A peice of A513 Typ 5 DOM in 1.75OD x .120 wall would hold 43,015, or more. I dont have a cert for it, just going by spec. Saving a few pounds in weight wasnt worth spending 3-5x more in material to me.

#207 ·
Played around with my steering u joint last for another hour trying to get the rough spot out. Just gonna have to live with it I guess untill I build my own cross member that let's me rotate the rack down a little to take some angle out. Drawback of lowering everything down into racecar position

#211 ·
Purely a suggestion but a 98-02 ford ranger has a fiberglass bed that would be pretty close to your current bed dimensions. I've got one if you need measurements [emoji848].

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk