Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Terry's Tube-a-Ruu 400hp Exotruck

242K views 2K replies 58 participants last post by  22bster 
#1 · (Edited)
My 98 Forester is rusting bad. But rather than buy another shell to swap my motor into. Im going to just build a tube car around the Forester drivetrain. I have started to tear apart the car. Everything from the drivetrain will be used. For now even the stock gas tank, suspension and crossmembers will be used as my initial focus will be to get PA tags and registration for it to make it STREET LEGAL. The end goal is a 400whp AWD Street buggy. It will also give me lots of future things to do. Like a finished project thats never finished.

Old Thread Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired. - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Current situation - Prepping for Road Course awesomeness

Driveline Specs:
Ej206 Stock longblock
2.5i Manifold
IAG Rails with 950cc injectors
Aeromotive FPR, set to 55psi base
Walbro 450
Legacy Outback 5mt
Southbend Stage 3 Ceramic Clutch
Borg Warner S252sx-e Turbo
Perrin FMIC
3" TBE to a Magnaflow Camaro Muffler
AWD
05 impreza 2.5rs front axles because shorter

Wish List:
92mm forged slugs
H-beam rods
Group N Motor Mounts
TS Rear Diff Mounts
Hydraulic Hand brake
265/35-18 Stickies
6 speed, derrrr

Attachments

See less See more
#68 ·
drew up this weekends progress in cad to scale so i cna do some more planning. Aslo drew up my transmission mount bracket and rear crossmember mount brackets. Running low on 1.66OD. Didnt help that it took 3 tries to mirror the front fender pipe

greens done, red is next.

#81 ·
^You generally slope the X down towards the front to make it easier to get in and out of the car.

Terry they're pretty close to mine/fia spec. They would be plenty strong in that configuration.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#83 · (Edited)
Ya i been looking at that too Biran. The front corners and length of the bed are two areas i might revise.

It was originally like that to clear radiator and the intercooler pipe going into the reversed manifold. I might flip thea mani back around and use a short radiator

I havent changed it yet though cuz i think once rad, intercooler and lights are on, it'll look better

#86 ·
I'm not sure what you're running for body panels but you could extend the nose out at a 45° angle to your current down tubes to create a more streamlined nose and then build your crash beam and front off of that?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#90 ·
Almost rolls. I eff'd up the trans mount. Bolt spacing off again! Went and got more jack stands so I can level up the chassis and make sure the roof bars are correct. Bed cam out to 49" deep x 40 1/4" wide. Just being enough for a pallet