Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Terry's Tube-a-Ruu 400hp Exotruck

242K views 2K replies 58 participants last post by  22bster 
#1 · (Edited)
My 98 Forester is rusting bad. But rather than buy another shell to swap my motor into. Im going to just build a tube car around the Forester drivetrain. I have started to tear apart the car. Everything from the drivetrain will be used. For now even the stock gas tank, suspension and crossmembers will be used as my initial focus will be to get PA tags and registration for it to make it STREET LEGAL. The end goal is a 400whp AWD Street buggy. It will also give me lots of future things to do. Like a finished project thats never finished.

Old Thread Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired. - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Current situation - Prepping for Road Course awesomeness

Driveline Specs:
Ej206 Stock longblock
2.5i Manifold
IAG Rails with 950cc injectors
Aeromotive FPR, set to 55psi base
Walbro 450
Legacy Outback 5mt
Southbend Stage 3 Ceramic Clutch
Borg Warner S252sx-e Turbo
Perrin FMIC
3" TBE to a Magnaflow Camaro Muffler
AWD
05 impreza 2.5rs front axles because shorter

Wish List:
92mm forged slugs
H-beam rods
Group N Motor Mounts
TS Rear Diff Mounts
Hydraulic Hand brake
265/35-18 Stickies
6 speed, derrrr

Attachments

See less See more
#34 · (Edited)
Gettin some small stuff done. Finalized bends on crossmember mounting pipe and got bracket on.

Then worked on one of the two control arm mounts. Fit some flat bar in tube notcher and cut into at about 30 degrees to hug pipe darn near perfectly. Need to go get a new 1/2" drill bit

#38 · (Edited)
me too, differnent and should make fab a little easier

wouldn't you want to get the frame done and then work on the inside the frame stuff?
bare minimum rolling chassis is first priority. But i need the rear cab hoop to mount pipes to that supports the top of the rear struts. I need to know where my driver seat goes to mount rear cab hoop, and i need to know where pedals go to know where seat goes...and so on.

If i leave the firewall the way i first imagined it, the pedals would be where those two blocks of wood are, and my seat would be back there against gas tank. That would the rear tire like 10" behind me making for a silly looking truck. So i have to push everything forward which puts the pedals up into the firewall. It complicates fab but it is what it is.

#43 · (Edited)
pretty much just me picturing it in my head holding up a finger for every 5' i thought i'd need then adding it all together on the same thought train. There will be very poor planning and a lot of flying by the seat of my pants. I'll need two fire extingushers for the flaming, one for the fact i'm using erw, and two for my no fucks given approach to building it a stick at a time using more of my eye to measure than an actual square table and tape measure.

make that 3 extingushers. Im goign to flux core most of it lol. Pretty much casue my cwi said i had the same level of pentration as the tig sample and because its WAY easier

#47 ·
used a carbide die grinder to perfectly match the die to the pipe. Its a pipe size die but it wasnt a nice fit. It was high in seat and would oval the pipe that lead to the kinking. Once i fit the die to the pipe it worked much better. I can probably get even better results if the pipe wasnt freezing cold too.

im extangerating a little with this sketch but you can see where it was high, once i ground that out, the die made a good 170° or so of contact and stopped the kinking

#48 ·
i could probably throw some weld on the inside sides of the die to keep the pipe from ovaling at all, that should make a much more "mandrel" type bend but then i'd probably have to beat the die off the pipe after each bend. Its not bad enough to go there yet.

#57 ·
It'll be welded in between 3/4" pipe andshould actually be stiffer than the angle frame version. I was having a hard time welding the forester sheet metal. it was too thin, would burn away before i got any penetration into the angle

#61 ·
It's taken an entire cage, trunk floor, firewall, and tube tunnel for me to finesse it Brian. Last I remembered, you weren't complaining about my "finesse" [emoji6].

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk