EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions

Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #21
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

awesome! congrats!

and yeah, i totally agree with you on the intake portion of the whole thing. complete and total shit show. i went through three different designs before settling on one that isn't a totally asshat looking design (which i still can't stand the look of). the FMIC appears to have taken some of that hassle out for you, but running those pipes..i don't imagine was a fun time either.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #22
SucculentBass
1.8L

Car: Aqua Frost 1993 Impreza L RWD
Fav Mod: FMIC ran under headlights
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero View Post
what are you using to change the injector scale value?
Like I said, it is running the factory map. I simply dropped in bigger injectors and it runs fine. As far as I know, this ECU can adjust the idle AFR a small amount, but at WOT it goes to the base map. So where it was leaning out before it is now getting mostly what it wants.

And yeah the piping was pretty bad. I have the capability to shorten the piping and make it a hell of a lot cleaner, but right now I'm just leaving it because it works. When I have a couple hundred dollars to blow on it I should be able to get it setup a lot nicer.

Down the road I would like to get some kind of fuel and timing management setup so I can tune it and turn up the boost. Currently it hooks in the dry even with mediocre tires, maybe a little slipping in 1st. It rained the other night and I found out it will light the rear tires up rolling onto boost in 3rd gear at 65 mph. It's not impressive really, but it is a lot of fun roasting the tires off your first 3 gears even if you're going slow.
SucculentBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:27 AM   #23
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

is there a possibility of wiring the 22e/25D ECU in there to match the injectorsm and perhaps the corresponding maf?
Old 01-31-2018, 07:53 AM   #24
SucculentBass
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
is there a possibility of wiring the 22e/25D ECU in there to match the injectorsm and perhaps the corresponding maf?
I'm sure there is a way to do that but it wouldn't be of much benefit. My money and time would be much better spent on a Greddy Emanage or even an Apexi SAFC. The MAF sensors are all the same between EJ18, EJ22 and EJ25
Old 01-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #25
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

that's what i thought about the maf's.

terry had some pretty good results with the emanage ultimate on his forester. most don't like it. but if you tune it yourself it should be okay. i've not read much of anything about the apexi, except that people used it..a loong time ago in a galaxy far far away.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:58 AM   #26
SucculentBass
1.8L

I talked to one of my local tuners a while back and he used to run an Emanage Ultimate in his EJ20G swapped BD6, so he said he could help me set it up and tune it if I went that route. You would be surprised how many people still use SAFCís lol they are old but some fuel management is better than none. If I could pair one with a timing controller and a MBC I could get some decent power out of the thing. The biggest problem is how aggressive the timing is on N/A Subaruís, I believe it peaks at almost 30 degrees timing advance which is way beyond the preferred range on an STI.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #27
silverton
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: turrrrrbbbbooooo

It's more like 40* advance most of the time, and have seen 50 on occasion.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #28
SucculentBass
1.8L

I believe it is time for an update. The car has been reliable since January, I think I have put around 5000 miles on it since then with a lot of heavy-footed driving. I got greedy one night and decided to pull all the way through 5th gear to cylinder 3's demise... I think I burnt a valve. So don't be like me: get your shit tuned.

That was back in February, and I've been driving it with lower compression on cylinder 3 since. It isn't happy... but it runs. It just dies sometimes, is less responsive, and makes a little less power. My semester just ended so I will be swapping in my other EJ18 in the next week or so. After asking around on the N/A-T facebook page, I decided I'm going to purchase a Speeduino setup. $325 plus the cost of a GM IAT sensor and I'll have a way to tune my engine. It's going to be quite the project for me but I'm sure I can handle it. I have some 440cc EJ20G injectors sitting in my garage that are just dying to get abused.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #29
SoCoNoHa
2.7L

Fav Mod: Anything custom
Trader Rating: (1)

From my research it seems the ej18/ej22 grey tops are all 280cc, just like the red tops. I tried all three in my 18T and there was no difference. But if it helped with your setup they must be different? I did read something about the very early ej's having smaller injectors....

Anyway, Ive had awesome results with a potentiometer in the maf signal line to correct for larger injectors. Im currently running 550cc sti yellows.
https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t243...-8t-3-0-a.html

Also you should look for some 2.2 heads to slap on that bitch, the lower compression helps allow for more boost and the aggressive stock timing map helps keep it driveable off boost.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:00 AM   #30
SucculentBass
1.8L

When I first installed the turbo setup it was running lean on low load and 2 PSI. It was almost impossible to drive because it would go lean so quickly with the stock injectors. After asking around the N/A-T community, we all came to the conclusion that EJ18 grey tops are 220cc/min while EJ22/25 injectors are 280cc/min. A lot of EJ18T users struggled with the same problem initially.

I have my AEM X-series wideband kit installed now and the GM IAT sensor sitting in my room, I'm pretty set on running the Speedy unit considering the flexibility it will have once installed. It can run launch control which will be fun to toy with, and running an STI turbo and injectors would be a simple upgrade. I plan on extending the rev range out to at least 7000 RPM, as I know several people who have taken bone-stock EJ22's past 8000 reliably.

I would like to upgrade my heads, but at this point it be better to source an EJ22 shortblock and EJ25D heads for an instant torque and horsepower bump. If I can find those for cheap I will probably run an 06 2.5i waterpump, stock WRX headers, STI up pipe and just run it all OEM. The setup I have right now works, but the WRX headers retain heat better and are shorter so they should help with spool time on a bigger turbo. I will need a better clutch even with my current setup, so I'm planning on running an 06 WRX clutch, flywheel and clutch fork by the end of the summer. This Exedy only has 15k miles on it but it slips way too easy, I feel like its at its limit already.