Since Photobucket screwed everyone, the pics in my thread aren't working. Having a phase I valve cover make the oil return easy. I just bought a turbo oil outlet and bolted it to the back of the passenger valve cover. Super easy.
Well Photobucket messed up, but go on Google and search "Photobucket Hotlink Fix." I use Google Chrome as my browser and it fixed all the photos on forums and whatnot. If you use a different browser you will have to find a different app for that, but there should be one available for all of the major web browsers.
And thanks George, I will take your advice and pick up a T fitting to run off the front port then. I think I need a M10x1.5 1/8" NPT Brass T, at least that's what was posted on one of the writeups.
I was wondering what oil you guys run for setups like this? I'm currently running Valvoline 10w30 conventional and a "Subaru OEM" blue filter (actually Fram), but I'm not sure how the journal bearing TD04 will accept that. I was considering swapping over to a synthetic blend, or maybe a full-synthetic but I'm not sure if it's necessary. What are your thoughts?
I tried reading through your long ass thread but there is so much to read lol I read probably 40 pages of it.
Mini update: I got the bumper beam cut up but I think I need to cut more of the sides to make room for the piping to go through. The entire center section is cut out, I just need to drill the holes and cut the sides and it will be good to bolt back on. Next weekend I will be mocking up the piping, pulling the passenger valve cover off my spare block to add a port for the oil drain, and getting the MSD wired in. Hopefully the weekend after that I will be bolting the turbo setup on.
Last night I mocked up the intercooler and bumper beam just to realize the intercooler needed to drop down about 2.5". So I ended up cutting down part of the old center section and prepping it to weld back on to the beam. If I have time tonight I'll have it welded up and ready to mount. Pretty excited about that because I'm tired of the turn signals flashing so quickly, and it will look SO good with this intercooler mounted in there. It already looks better with the bumper beam cut the way it is.
I got my MSD ignition coil (Part #8239), 96-00' Dodge Neon cam sensor connector (according to Ebay), and NGK spark plug wires (Part #7600) in the mail this week, so I installed them last night. I'll have to go back and clean up the adapter harness I made but it works fine for now; Phoenix is a very dry place so I'm not too worried about it. I think my ignition coil was out of spec because my car runs quite a bit better than before, it feels very smooth and responsive now. I doubt it is actually any faster, but it made it a little easier to drive, especially below 2500 RPM where this 1.8L is completely gutless.
Last edited by SucculentBass; 11-01-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Well it's been a while but I did get the car turbocharged. Running the intercooler piping ended up being the worst part, I had to cut a lot of shit and piece it all together. But it runs, and runs pretty good at that. The only problems I had were a vacuum leak from a loose coupler and undersized EJ18 injectors, which I promptly swapped out with EJ22/EJ25 red top 280cc/min injectors. If you plan on boosting your EJ18 you absolutely need bigger injectors. It was leaning out at 1/8th throttle on 3 PSI.
It's certainly not fast, but it is a lot quicker than before. It can pretty much top out 5th gear now which is just under 130 mph, assuming my speedometer is accurate. It would barely hit 105 before, and that's with a LOT of help. I checked and it's averaging just over 22 mpg in town, and I'm not being nice to it at all. I think it was getting about 23-25 before, so I'm not upset about that at all considering it is running the factory map.