EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions

Old 10-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
GeronimoRS
3.3L

Fav Mod: muffler delete
Trader Rating: (7)

Since Photobucket screwed everyone, the pics in my thread aren't working. Having a phase I valve cover make the oil return easy. I just bought a turbo oil outlet and bolted it to the back of the passenger valve cover. Super easy.

Here's a list of parts with links (not sure that they still work)
https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3221969-post231.html
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #12
SucculentBass
1.8L

Car: Aqua Frost 1993 Impreza L RWD
Fav Mod: FMIC ran under headlights
Trader Rating: (0)

Well Photobucket messed up, but go on Google and search "Photobucket Hotlink Fix." I use Google Chrome as my browser and it fixed all the photos on forums and whatnot. If you use a different browser you will have to find a different app for that, but there should be one available for all of the major web browsers.

And thanks George, I will take your advice and pick up a T fitting to run off the front port then. I think I need a M10x1.5 1/8" NPT Brass T, at least that's what was posted on one of the writeups.

I was wondering what oil you guys run for setups like this? I'm currently running Valvoline 10w30 conventional and a "Subaru OEM" blue filter (actually Fram), but I'm not sure how the journal bearing TD04 will accept that. I was considering swapping over to a synthetic blend, or maybe a full-synthetic but I'm not sure if it's necessary. What are your thoughts?
SucculentBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

fell free to check out my build for some do's and don'ts. mostly it's don'ts. its filled with idiocy and dumbassness on my part. but i eventually got it to work right.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #14
SucculentBass
1.8L

I tried reading through your long ass thread but there is so much to read lol I read probably 40 pages of it.

Mini update: I got the bumper beam cut up but I think I need to cut more of the sides to make room for the piping to go through. The entire center section is cut out, I just need to drill the holes and cut the sides and it will be good to bolt back on. Next weekend I will be mocking up the piping, pulling the passenger valve cover off my spare block to add a port for the oil drain, and getting the MSD wired in. Hopefully the weekend after that I will be bolting the turbo setup on.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #15
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

yeah, it's a long read of shitshow. the turbo section kinda starts where the headgaskets get replaced. which..starts with post #3074

also, if you'd like, i can move this thread to the member journals section if you'd like to not have to go back and create a whole new thread.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #16
SucculentBass
1.8L

Okay, thanks man. And yeah, if you could move this to the member journals section that would be great.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #17
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

done.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
SucculentBass
1.8L

Thanks man.

Last night I mocked up the intercooler and bumper beam just to realize the intercooler needed to drop down about 2.5". So I ended up cutting down part of the old center section and prepping it to weld back on to the beam. If I have time tonight I'll have it welded up and ready to mount. Pretty excited about that because I'm tired of the turn signals flashing so quickly, and it will look SO good with this intercooler mounted in there. It already looks better with the bumper beam cut the way it is.

I got my MSD ignition coil (Part #8239), 96-00' Dodge Neon cam sensor connector (according to Ebay), and NGK spark plug wires (Part #7600) in the mail this week, so I installed them last night. I'll have to go back and clean up the adapter harness I made but it works fine for now; Phoenix is a very dry place so I'm not too worried about it. I think my ignition coil was out of spec because my car runs quite a bit better than before, it feels very smooth and responsive now. I doubt it is actually any faster, but it made it a little easier to drive, especially below 2500 RPM where this 1.8L is completely gutless.

Last edited by SucculentBass; 11-01-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Old 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #19
SucculentBass
1.8L

Well it's been a while but I did get the car turbocharged. Running the intercooler piping ended up being the worst part, I had to cut a lot of shit and piece it all together. But it runs, and runs pretty good at that. The only problems I had were a vacuum leak from a loose coupler and undersized EJ18 injectors, which I promptly swapped out with EJ22/EJ25 red top 280cc/min injectors. If you plan on boosting your EJ18 you absolutely need bigger injectors. It was leaning out at 1/8th throttle on 3 PSI.

It's certainly not fast, but it is a lot quicker than before. It can pretty much top out 5th gear now which is just under 130 mph, assuming my speedometer is accurate. It would barely hit 105 before, and that's with a LOT of help. I checked and it's averaging just over 22 mpg in town, and I'm not being nice to it at all. I think it was getting about 23-25 before, so I'm not upset about that at all considering it is running the factory map.
Attached Thumbnails
EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions-edited.jpg   EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions-edited-2.jpg   EJ18-T Project: Turbo oil/coolant/vacuum line questions-edited-3.jpg  
Old 01-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #20
NemeGuero
3.3L

Car: 95 impreza wagon
Trader Rating: (11)

what are you using to change the injector scale value?
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote