So this week after negecting the daily for about 2 months I decided to get some work done to it.
I got home early on thursday so first thing I did was replace the wiper arm thing. The things that the blade slides into. This was because the old one had worn down on the swivel point and flopping around. All that was done was a light sand and rattle can with black caliper paint. I use that because it's heat resistant.
Next I gave the engine bay a wipe down and placed the timing belt sticker with the date/km from when it was changed. I place it on the airbox where the old one was. It only took me 6 months to get around to it.
Now ever since I bought the car it's had a ding in the rear passenger door. It has always irked me a bit but not enough to replace it. Then the clear coat started to fail and since then I was one the lookout for another green door.
To give a sense of scale the ding was about 15cm long and the clear coat failure was about 6cm by 2cm.
I stumbled on one the other day on eBay for $60 that was about 1 hour away, so I went and picked it up on Saturday as it was the same colour. It's not perfect but its much better and matches the condition of the rest of the car much better. Photo below of it already stripped out.
It has one scratch about 3 cm long but its was better than the current one. It also has this cool sticker but I'm going to remove it as it doesn't match the other side and it looks the wrong way round too.
Condition before tear down. Way to much sound deadening. It was pain to remove the residue.
When I bought this I decided that the door skin was the only thing changing. This meant swapping over all the internals. I don't recommend doing this is you can avoid it, but I'd do it again to keep everything the same. All the internals out. The glass is resting on top of a spare wheel somewhere.
Door completely stripped out except for maybe 3/4 plastic clips. Don't judge the rug, I really didn't want to scratch the door.
Then on Sunday I started the tear down of the other door. I removed everything but the window mechanism so I could transfer it around once the door was in place. Also removing the door pin isn't fun when you don't have a small hammer, even a large one would have been nice. The bonus of removing all this stuff is it makes moving the doors around 10 times easier as they are around 1/2 the weight.
Then the door was pulled of the car. This was an oh shit moment as I had to now get it done as I had to get to work tomorrow and there way no going back. It's basically a jeep now, but more reliable right?
Then everything was simple from then. Putting the stuff back in the door it way easier than pulling it out and both doors were back together and the new one the car in about 1 to 1.5 hours. The only thing other than the door skin that is new is the black outer trim, I just kinda fell apart at the join after removing the screw.
Two angles to show the nice (relatively) ding less and fully clear-coated door.
In review this was simple, but very time consuming thing to do. If you have any mechanical knowledge, or even just know how to use a spanner you could this. It was daunting at first as it was foreign to me but once I knew how it worked it was smooth sailing. The worst part was getting the glass out, and this would be made infinitely easier if you can get the outer black trim off first. So do that if you can. But if you can just replace the whole door as you're not weird like me, just do that.
Now I never added this but a while back I picked up a leather shift knob for free. I was so worn on the top the H pattern was gone, but the leather was still there. I gave it the same treatment as the steering wheel and we were good to go.
To finish of the day I gave the car a wash and decided to drive out north for a bit of fun driving. I got some nice photo's, they're not great quality as they're off an iPhone, but I like them. Spotted some other Subaru's while I was out but they were off living the turbo life.
So that's been the weekend for me. Cheap panel repair, junkyard finds (see other thread), recovery from the project car and Sunday driving.
Next for the car is a power drivers lock. As the car has central locking for every door but the drivers. It should be very easy to wire up and a good change to the rather annoying locking process.
Thanks for reading,