SMH LOL - Full 05 STi Swap - finding lineage and building a racecar for the street - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
SMH LOL - Full 05 STi Swap - finding lineage and building a racecar for the street

Old 12-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #81
Razor7
3.3L

Fav Mod: Version 5 Swap
Trader Rating: (5)

What's the expected advantage of the MAP sensor?

-TC
Razor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #82
onefasazn
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor7 View Post
What's the expected advantage of the MAP sensor?

-TC
Allows the ECU to accurately read over 40 psi. Technically its overkill for my current setup, but its part of my plan of future-proofing. Will pair well with a built motor and bigger turbo. Will most likely go with a new Garrett G25-550 or 660 when the motor gets built.

As for the next update, I have no pics of anything since nothing has currently changed. I've been driving the car periodically to enjoy it before it goes down for the full offseason build.

I have three places left to fortify the car, and they are three of the most important. Fueling, safety equipment, and gauges.

Fueling:
I already have a host of IAG fuel system parts, ID1000s, and Cobb Flex fuel kit and Fuel pressure sensor, however I still need to flesh out the big parts of the fuel system. At the least I will be running an AEM 50-1200 E85 in-tank pump, but at this time I want to add a Radium FST, as I don't want to starve the stock block of fuel. This also make me want to add a larger return line to as well. This just comes down to money at this point. If I want to play, I have to pay.

Safety equipment:
This is self explanatory. I need to be safe on the track. This is not a want, but an absolute requirement. There won't be a roll bar at this time, as I want to keep the car a street car, but I did get an old Rally Innovations harness bar from a friend, to facilitate in harness ROUTING, not MOUNTING. Harness will be mounted at the seat belt anchor points. The rest of the safety stuff are the usual bits, new helmet, suit, gloves, etc.

Gauges:

To be continued
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #83
onefasazn
2.2L

...Continued:

Gauges:

Well I had a plan to run a bunch of Defi gauges in the coupe, but I didn't really like the idea of clutter in the car, so I aimed a little higher and found a good deal on an AiM Sport MXL Pro dash for the car. At least I'll have all the pertinent information in one place on one dash versus running a bunch of gauges. It hurt the wallet some, but in the long run I think it will make for a better setup. Now to get all of the add-ons...
Old 12-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #84
onefasazn
2.2L

Well, here is the end-all-be-all to my gauge issue. This should last me for quite some time.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #85
onefasazn
2.2L

Another update:

Car still has not gone down, still enjoying driving it, and amassing a mountain of parts.

Finally got my fuel pump and ARP wheel studs.

Got a used STi cluster wiring harness so Brian at Iwire can build me a wiring harness for the AiM MXL Pro so I can remove it from the car as needed. All the sensors are coming as well.

I think I am going to be asking for trouble doing this entire install at once. The car will be a completely different car once its complete.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #86
onefasazn
2.2L

Anyone a graphic designer? I need help with GC specific graphics for my car for the upcoming season
Old 03-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #87
onefasazn
2.2L

Well, finally started tearing the car apart. Turbo, headers, uppipe, intake manifold are all out right now.

Running the IAG turbo/AVCS oil feed line and power steering line right now, and measuring all of the fuel hose to cut and fit for AN fittings. TMIC was drilled for a GM IAT, as I am going straight speed density rather than a hybrid setup. Made fabbing up the intake piece I needed much easier.

Doing all of the motor/power parts first, and the transmission finally, then onto the suspension last.

Things I still need to buy:

Tires
Pads
Sensors and harness for AiM dash
Oil pan, baffle, and pickup
Safety gear. Like almost all of it :-/

No pics because I'm too lazy to upload them.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #88
FXTrev
2.5L

Fav Mod: Suspension

Glad things are coming along. Going to be sweet!
FXTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #89
onefasazn
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXTrev View Post
Glad things are coming along. Going to be sweet!
Yeah me too, I probably should have started a few month ago though
Old 03-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #90
onefasazn
2.2L

BIG UPDATE

Well, install took longer than I thought for all of the engine and transmission related stuff, but its all done!!!

The main reason that the install of all of the parts took so long is that I chose to hide everything as best I could, and route everything as clean as possible. Also, it was just a lot of shit to install. Car went from a basic stage 2 swapped L to an almost completely bolted on car.

I chose to hide all the mods I could, and keep a clean engine bay, mainly for smog purposes here in CA. If the hood gets popped, you can only see the Grimmspeed TMIC upon first glance. You really have to go looking for the rest of the stuff.

Parts installed:

Version 6 JDM STi Airbox with 3.5" MAF housing
APS inlet
Cobb 20g
Grimmspeed TMIC
Cobb 4 bar MAP sensor
Cobb Fuel Pressure sensor kit
Cobb Flex Fuel sensor kit
iWire Speed Density conversion with GM IAT
IAG TGV deletes
IAG Fuel rails and Flex Fuel line kit
ID 1050Xs
AEM 320L E85 ready fuel pump 50-1200
Grimmspeed ported header ready for EGT probe
Grimmspeed uppipe

And I'm still running the Cobb midpipe to the Blitz Nur Spec axleback.

I also installed the new Rallispec built transmission:

JDM Long ratio gearset
Rallispec DCCD clutch pack
OS Giken Super Lock front LSD tuned by the head tech at OS Giken USA
All new syncros and shift forks, etc, etc...

Car has been converted to speed density, as recommended by my tuner Travis at Snail Performance. I also could not get a custom MAF pipe in time, so SD it is. Car runs great for being on a base tune, and will only get better once protuned. I'm hoping the car will probably make about 320-340 WHP on CA 91 on the Mustang Dyno at Snail. Car will be protuned this week.

The transmission is an absolute charm. The gearing is perfect, and I mean PERFECT. Exactly what I was looking for in an all-around street car. It still goes quickly, and yet has a very comfortable cruising RPM. The OS Giken front diff is insane. I thought the stock 05 STi front helical diff was great, but this OS diff is something to behold. I can only hope I can do this setup justice on track.

Next up is the suspension install. I have to finish valving all four dampers, build them, figure out a camber plate solution, install the front control arms that I've already prepped, and install the rear STi pink suspension bits.

I also still need to install the external oil cooler, order the KillerB oil pan setup, get tires, brake pads, and safety gear. Oh and register for the first Global Time Attack event of the year on March 31st. SO MUCH STUFF.

Here are a few pics I snapped during the install of everything: