Stew's '98 L wagon - Bastard JDM Swap + Standalone ECU Daily - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Stew's '98 L wagon - Bastard JDM Swap + Standalone ECU Daily

Old 07-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #61
Hot Tub Rob
2.7L

Fav Mod: Alpine W940
Trader Rating: (2)

You're good at documenting this stuff
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #62
Stew3223
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Displacement Reduction
Trader Rating: (8)

Alright, well after a week of headaches, I finally got the car running on the 36-2-2-2 crank sprocket. It turned out having the Cam sensor still sharing the signal ground with the crank sensor was causing some noise. Disconnected the cam sensor and Voila, no sync issues.

So, I had it running and idling in my garage, tuning in the idle when BOOM....the radiator burst. Not sure if it's because I hadn't bleed it properly or maybe because I hadn't gutted the rad cap. I threw in the mishimoto from my RS.

I tidied up the wiring on the passenger floor. I still need to do some work to get the AC going though.

Since the connector for a the Microsquirt comes out the top, I had to trim the kick plate some. I might make a custom piece here or just leave it as is. It's mostly protected and I don't take a lot of passengers. I'll just tell my wife not to kick it hahaha

I've been road tuning the past two days. So far so good. 2nd and 3rd gear pulls are feeling pretty solid already. Part load needs some work. Idle needs to be fat because of being batch fire. Idle is happy around 13.5:1. It's a little jerky off of idle too, I think due to richness. But, I'll get it all sorted out. Just having fun driving it as is!

Also, this is exhaust is definitely too loud. I need something quieter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #63
Ariii
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Loud exhaust!
Trader Rating: (0)

Such a sleeper! Glad you managed to work things out, wish I knew how to tune myself... It didn't overheat when the rad bursted??

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #64
Stew3223
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
Such a sleeper! Glad you managed to work things out, wish I knew how to tune myself... It didn't overheat when the rad bursted??

It might have a little, but it was just idling. The sensor for the cluster gauge read hot but the coolant temp sensor for the ECU never went above like ~95C. So I'm think it's okay, probably just an air pocket. Whoops.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #65
Ariii
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Loud exhaust!
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew3223 View Post
It might have a little, but it was just idling. The sensor for the cluster gauge read hot but the coolant temp sensor for the ECU never went above like ~95C. So I'm think it's okay, probably just an air pocket. Whoops.
Ahh good. I did that on my GT twice, thought I blew the headgaskets. Same scenario, just idling and all of a sudden the thing was boiling and spurting water everywhere lol

Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #66
Stew3223
Premium Member

Default Stew's '98 L wagon - V4 STi Swapped + Standalone ECU Daily

Put on a spare RS hood I had. Need to get it painted bad.

Re-wired my IAC Resistor so that its in the engine bay instead of under the carpet by the ECU. this thing gets wicked hot so I figured it was safer under here.

Still trying to get the ECU dialed in. Early impressions are bad. Megasquirt is...to put it kindly...Not even nearly as good as other stand alone ECU's I've used like Link or AEM. And furthermore Microsquirt has its own short comings. In hindsight I wish I had spend the extra coin on something better. But I'm making due. After a good bit of road tuning it's pretty good at part load, full load is good, builds boost well and the car is certainly quick. Drivability issues are the biggest issue. Hopefully I'll get them sorted or else I'm gonna start saving for a Link G4 Atom.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #67
Stew3223
Premium Member

Default Stew's '98 L wagon - V4 STi Swapped + Standalone ECU Daily

Been chasing an exhaust leak. After doing a bunch of WOT tuning, I noticed I had lost about 1 pound of boost. Initially I thought it was the up pipe gasket. Swapped that out, no luck. Turns out it was the flex joint on the cross pipe. I tried to weld it up and made it worse. Thin shit metal just blew to pieces.

Turns out the up pipe was also broken.

So, I pulled the Invidia off of my EJ20G and got ready to swap it over. Also got a ported exhaust manifold from a friend with a good new cross pipe.

2 hours later and she's all sorted. Back to 1.2 bar of boost, much better response and doesn't sound like ass. Woof.

Continuing to refine the MicroDerp. This ECU...I swear. Next project is to quiet this thing down.

Last edited by Stew3223; 08-02-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Stew3223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #68
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

mattonthewater has a scoobysport.. dunno if he checks here much, but i'll give you his fb info if youre interested.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #69
Stew3223
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
mattonthewater has a scoobysport.. dunno if he checks here much, but i'll give you his fb info if youre interested.

I wanted something cheap. So I went with this....

$116 in materials. Dynomax mini bullet muffler, Thrush Hush muffler, 3" tubing and flange, and some half inch hangers.

Blackulated for stealth.

And Voila.

Not too bad. Sound is good, still has rumble and a good tone. Volume is MUCH less, maybe just louder than a stock STI. Much better suited for daily driving, although there is still some drone on the highway, probably due to wagon.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #70
Stew3223
Premium Member

Started the first stage of rust proofing today. The idea here is to get ahead the game and seal this baby up before it ever sees it's first salty Michigan road. It still feels sorta bad to plan on diving a pristine chassis through a Michigan winter, however I'm sure with the right measures I can make it last longer than normal. And after all it took my Coupe more than 10 years in the Midwest for rust to rear its ugly head. That, and this IS a daily and that's the point.

Moving on! SEM Cavity wax with a 3 foot 360 degree spray wand. This is designed to be shoved down the rockers and coat all sides as it's pulled out. So, rockers is where started.

Removed all the plastics, taped over the holes, shoved 'er on in and blasted away.

This stuff has got to be the best option for this. The fact that it came running out of the pinch weld highlighted two things: 1.) the rockers are obviously prone to getting salt spray into them as they obviously aren't sealed very well and 2.) this cavity wax will fill in those gaps and congeal, effectively sealing the rocker as planned. Awesome.

And here's how it looks on a test piece...

definitely getting another can and gonna go hog wilds.