Well, this past weekend I gave an all out blitz to try and get the swap done and I nearly made it...but only nearly.
It started Thursday night after work, I was able to get all the old running gear out of the car. Engine, trans and diff all removed in about 2-3 hours. I also pulled the cable pedal set and replaced it with a hydro setup.
Friday I installed the new STi 5MT trans, notched the subframe, and installed the engine.
The power steering pump on the old engine was in really good shape so I wanted to keep it however the tank shape is obviously different to allow room for the turbo inlet. So, I just swapped the tanks over...
Next I tackled the fuel pump. Super easy access...got to love the wagon. Also gotta love plug and play walbro 255. So easy.
Finally I finished installing the pedal box, connecting all the sensors and master cylinder mechanical connections. I also finished up with the shifter linkage and reinstalled the interior trim.
Saturday morning I got working on installing the rear diff, driveshaft, and exhaust. Reinstalled the radiator, filled the trans and diff with fluid, changed the oil and filter on the engine, and filled the engine with coolant. Also buttoned up a lot of little things like vacuum lines and coolant hoses and miscellaneous things.
Sunday I spend a few hours converting the harness at the ECU connector. Because I was able to retain all of the chassis side wiring, I only had to splice in the Microsquirt harness at the ECU. I also installed the wideband and O2 sensor, and IAT wiring.
This is where things went south. First, I didn't realize the Microsquirt uses an RS232 connector for the laptop interface. So I had to go get an adapter and still I had trouble connecting. Once I had that sorted out, I was able to get the ECU connected, verify my sensors were reading, calibrate the TPS, and etc. then we attempted to start the engine and it wouldn't fire. I made a stupid mistake and set the logic level output to the ignitor incorrectly and it fried the ignitor. I didn't realize that until after I fried a second ignitor. Woof. SO, I got a 3rd ignitor and corrected that issue. I Then realized I had the coil pack on upside down so the wires weren't going to the correct cylinders. Duh. Flipped it around...it spits and sputter but won't run. I'm getting trigger errors so I have some more work to do.
Next steps will be:
1.) Verify the engine is mechanically times correctly. No sense in dicking around with calibration parameters if it's not timed right. I only popped one timing cover off to inspect the belt but never verified. It seems okay, but I need to double check.
2.) sort out some ECU issues - it wouldn't let me scale the stock MAP sensor correctly, so I have GM 3bar sensor on the way. This and a couple other sensor calibrations need to be corrected.
3.) get a timing light and verify the spark offset is correct.
I'm extremely Let down and disappointed. It was a personal goal to do this in one weekend, testing fully all of my combined skills and knowledge. Unfortunately I just am not familiar enough with the MS stuff and had a few little nagging issues that tripped me up. Just really hoping I didn't make a mistake taking this on.
Hopefully more work tonight or tomorrow.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk