Paul's 97' GF - EJ22T swap - Rust and Rallycross - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Paul's 97' GF - EJ22T swap - Rust and Rallycross

Old 01-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #41
familycar
2.2L

Car: 97 OBS
Trader Rating: (0)

thats one way to do get off the vent lol. cool you don't have to worry about the damn map light bracket either...sucks on the wiring! hopefully got it caught before it got to the wires
familycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #42
Todviper
1.8L

Car: '97 GF Brighton
Fav Mod: EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycar View Post
thats one way to do get off the vent lol. cool you don't have to worry about the damn map light bracket either...sucks on the wiring! hopefully got it caught before it got to the wires
Seller's photos, I need him to ship me it lol.

So, updates, the harness was indeed alright, on wire melted, but that has been fixed.

Yes, I know crimps are bad, but this is a quick and dirty setup before I do the chassis swap.

Got about a 1/3 of the wiring done, and got myself setup with a set of GM ignition coils which I will be wiring in tomorrow, so progress is good.

Also sourced some N/A 2.2L phase 1 fuel rails to run my phase 2 '07 sti injectors, which is nice.

She's slowly coming together, will post more as it happens.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #43
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier

so whats the plan there? cant really run a phase one motor on a wrx ecu. crank, cam, iavc, map, maf, coil packs, all different
Old 01-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #44
Todviper
1.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJr View Post
so whats the plan there? cant really run a phase one motor on a wrx ecu. crank, cam, iavc, map, maf, coil packs, all different
Ha! that's why I can't find anyone who has done it lol.

Swapping the crank sprocket to work, the iacv will either just work or be deleted, map is fine, maf is fine, ls1 truck coils, ezpz. Carberry rom doesn't really care all that much, can adjust dwell time to make the coils run, and all the other sensors are close enough. Map sensor will either be the factory one with the pressure source deleted or a GM 3 bar. also GM IAT for maf sensor / Speed density blending.

Also running '07 sti 565cc injectors is phase 2.5 N/A fuel rails.

I swear it will work, maybe.

So, updates, the ecu now connects to my computer so we can probe sensors and get everything setup and configured right!

photos:

Old 01-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #45
Todviper
1.8L

Minor updates over the weekend, got the ecu talking 100%, and all that's left now is:

Ignition wiring
Front + rear o2 sensors
'02wrx maf install (already have a spare housing)
GM IAT sensor install (wiring done)
GM 3Bar MAP sensor (wiring done)
'02 wrx timing sprocket install (old ones already removed)

Basemap flashing and first startup

IACV testing (when everything else is running)
Drive it to Neetronics for a Protune, and either she goes fast or gets scrapped

Also, still ran the Frostbite rally with the parent's honda odyssey, and timed into 1st place, but a technicality (as it seems all racing series have), set us into 3rd place. (They released us from the lunch break beginning of section AFTER the first checkpoint closed. They couldn't get a hold of that marshal for whatever reason, so they were not aware that the rally was running late). Learned a bunch, had a hell of a lot of fun, and timed better than ever, so the next events should have us in the running for podium in the championship. Currently in 4th Overall.

For the Polar Bear rally I'll be taking the forester out of storage and prepping it just incase the GF isn't ready before then. 3 Weeks to go, hopefully everything comes together.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #46
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier

worst case i guess you just adapt a 99-01 2.2 throttle body on for the iavc and plug the stock manifold iacv

i dunno how the wrx ecu is going to like the cam signal

Last edited by TerryJr; 01-30-2017 at 08:30 AM..
TerryJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #47
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Ricer Red parts for +25KW

Quote:
worst case i guess you just adapt a 99-01 2.2 throttle body on for the iavc and plug the stock manifold iacv

You swap to the 05+ denso ej253 cam sprocket, it has the same trigger pattern as the denso ecus found in the wrx.
nhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #48
Todviper
1.8L

Quote:

I have a '99 2.2 throttle body, but the IACV dumps into the manifold through a slot / hole above the main throttle plate hole, so I doubt that that would work unfortunately. The factory ej22t IACV is 3 wire and seems to run on pwm like the '02 wrx one, so I'll test and see if it'll work. If not then it'll be disabled and throttle kicked with the set screw. I could bolt the '99 intake manifold onto the longblock as it sits, but I'm not sure that I could fit any injectors I have (that flow enough) into that setup, and I'm trying to keep this as budget as possible, so likely not gonna happen.

If worse comes to worse I'll just do the hybrid setup with ej205 heads etc, as you have done IIRC. If I do that though I'd be inclined to swap chassis as well, as the clean '99 2.2L chassis requires significantly less hackery to get working like factory with the '02 wrx ecu than this '97 1.8L b/s.

I'm swapping on a newer cam sprocket and sensor so everything reads nicely. I've read that this can be hit or miss as far as positioning goes, but we shall see I guess (1/2 tooth off or something like that). As far as the wiring shows, the phase 1 stuff is hall effect, the new things are VR sensors. Going to confirm that and make sure everything is triggering right in the next few days hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhawks View Post
You swap to the 05+ denso ej253 cam sprocket, it has the same trigger pattern as the denso ecus found in the wrx.
Bingo! Hopefully that works out for me XP
Old 01-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #49
Todviper
1.8L

More progress.
'02 wrx MAP and IACV work perfectly on the '99 2.2L throttle body.
Minor mod to get it to circulate past the throttle plate

Also need to block off the hairline of a gap on the top of the manifold, where the iacv would vent, so I'll make a small TB spacer with that covered, and all will be well!

So far so good.

'07 sti injectors also fit perfectly into '97 1.8L sidefeed rails, which bolt up to the ej22t manifold.

By perfectly I mean with a bit of modding, in the way of some die grinding and slicing the rubber bit in half to space properly.

Cut up the rails that mount the ignition coils and spliced the leads so they will work for my application.

Final stretch now, gonna start bugging my tuner for a basemap with my current setup, then off to the dyno, scheduled Feb 10-17 (dropping the car off as I go to banff for a week, come back and the car will be tuned etc).

Will post more progress as it happens!

Attached Thumbnails
Paul's 97' GF - EJ22T swap - Rust and Rallycross-img_20170131_135310_145.jpg  

Last edited by Todviper; 01-31-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Todviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #50
Todviper
1.8L

So, some more updates,

Got a list of what's left to do before getting her back on the road.

Fixed the gap to make sure that everything seals properly on the new TB.

Sourced a MAF flange and some 3" pipe, so now short of a bit of wiring and mounting some things up, the car is basically good to go.

Ecu is reading all the sensors all happylike, and have a '02 wrx cluster that I'll be hacking in so I have some sort of indication as to my speed / rpm etc.

Automoter boost gauge purchased as well, as having some sort of accuracy always helps.

Final stretch now, will update as it happens.