Paul's 97' GF - EJ22T swap - Rust and Rallycross - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Paul's 97' GF - EJ22T swap - Rust and Rallycross

Old 12-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #11
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

sub'd
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
Todviper
1.8L

Car: '97 GF Brighton
Fav Mod: EJ22T
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryphaX View Post
After the first one or two snapped nuts it's just another day at the office.
Fortunately school is only a short bus-ride away in the event things go **** up. XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
sub'd
Thanks! Love your car, I'm honored!

So, small update, the journey continues, more things go wrong, wallet becomes even more anemic. Also, being in school means that the next two weeks aka last two weeks of school are going to be killer, so the car will have to wait.

The rust "stop" job that the previous owner did as it turns out didn't do a whole hell of a lot. I'm not planing to ever properly fix this, but I'd like to stop it properly, so wire brush + POR15 and some bedliner should fix things up when I get some time. Any ideas / recommendations in this regard are appreciated XP

Also, haven't had a chance to investigate yet, but some part of the ebay header / uppipe has decided to no longer function as a way to redirect exhaust gas to the turbo, but rather vent to atmosphere. Car has remarkable amounts of lag now, and sounds like hell on acid. I have a spare set of STI headers off of my forester, so I'll likely throw those on as a fix, assuming that the ebay headers are cracked vs a gasket blowing out etx.

At least I do have some good news,

Picked up a full '02 wrx wiring harness for basically a case of beer, which was very nice. Now I can strip the harnesses, de-pin and re-pin things as I need, and tie things back up. I hate splicing and dicing harnesses, so this should be the cleaner albeit more time consuming method of getting things done. Excel spreadsheet with pinouts in the making as we speak, and the mechanical / physical side of things is slowly being covered as well. I'll update with photos and whatnot as it happens.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #13
Todviper
1.8L

So, last week was the final week of classes for me, and exam week this week, but I have a small break, so here is an update! YAY!

Firstly, I wanted to say that on January 7th I'll be participating in the Rallysport Ontario / Toronto Motorsports Club January Jaunt navigational rally, followed by as many of the ORRC events I can attend. Ideally I'd like to attend all of them and try and shoot for a top 5 in the championship this year.

So, onto the car.

Firstly, yep, the upipe was 100% blown out,

Solution: Invidia Uppipe, with some DEI wrap. Unfortunately the uppipe was welded to the header, so stock EJ20 turbo header goes on..

Also had a chance to install my Fujistubo Legalis Super R, and Cobb catless downpipe. I love the way it looks, and it's hilariously quiet, no seriously. It's about a 1/4 as loud as my BOV

I also took the time to clean up my HKS filter housing, it was a tad rusty.

Now to buy some new filter foam!

I also picked up some "keep this car running" parts

Killer B pickup tube, baffle, and a new 2.5L sti oil pan to match.

That being said, currently my transmission is in a sad, sad state.. As in the front carrier bearing (front diff bearing I guess) on the passenger side has about a 15 degrees of play, enough to make the car shake like mad.

So, I was thinking about doing a 6 speed swap, but can't swing the cash at the moment, so I'll be installing the spare transmission that came with the car when I bought it...

That's a TY752VB5BA transmission. Aka Version 5 Type RA. Which means wider 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears compared to the older 5 speeds, short / close gearing, and good ol 4.44 final drive.

I have a matching 4.44 Suretrac rear diff, so this should be fun. I used to have the RA transmission (technically S201, with helical front diff and dccd) in my forester previously, but I destroyed 2nd gear in that one, so this is a temporary fix until I can come up with the cash for a 6 speed. Hopefully it lasts. Not looking forward to 3750rpm at 120kph (75mph). We'll see.

I've also sourced a spare fuel tank from a wrecker which I am going to have re-sealed to make sure that everything is good, and that way there is less down time when I bring myself to swap the tanks out.

Finally, a picture of the car covered in snow, after some good sideways action!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

Curious as to what led to the demise of your RA/S201 transmission. Massive power, flagrant abuse or something else?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #15
Todviper
1.8L

Quote:
Curious as to what led to the demise of your RA/S201 transmission. Massive power, flagrant abuse or something else?
All of the above? Probably me being an idiot is my guess.

Back when I was first figuring out snow time fun, I was redlining 1st, so I up-shifted into 2nd, Got in no problem, felt 100% in, then I let off the clutch a bit quick, and 2nd gear didn't happen. Had stock power in my '04 forester XT at the time, DCCD locked, and forester sized tires.

I was beating the piss out of the car to be fair, so I can't say I'm surprised. I want to say that I've learned from my mistake as this 1.8L brighton transmission has been holding up fine to my abuse with a stage 3 clutch and whatever power this car puts down, but we'll see.

Seems although the gear felt in, it may not have been. I drove the car for about 500 meters after that, sounded terrible, could feel the chunks being caught between the teeth of other gears.

Here is the photo that the guy who bought the blown S201 transmission sent me, Sorry for the blurry. Any insight?

Old 12-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #16
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

Looks like a common second gear failure. I've got the same trans, was hoping you were gonna say you were pumping 500hp through it or something. Here's hoping mine holds up. I know the 1-2 shift is about the most common point of failure on the 5 speeds. Known a couple people who have blown them up, admittedly while abusing the hell out of them. At the same time I've seen stock WRX 5 speeds handle 400hp for quite some time with a gentle driver.

Last edited by FryphaX; 12-14-2016 at 10:52 AM..
FryphaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #17
Todviper
1.8L

Quote:
Looks like a common second gear failure. I've got the same trans, was hoping you were gonna say you were pumping 500hp through it or something. Here's hoping mine holds up. I know the 1-2 shift is about the most common point of failure on the 5 speeds. Known a couple people who have blown them up, admittedly while abusing the hell out of them. At the same time I've seen stock WRX 5 speeds handle 400hp for quite some time with a gentle driver.
Yep, I've heard the same. Had a friend go through I believe six 5 speeds now, blown 1st, 2nd twice, 3rd, and 4th, all on a stage 2 '02 wrx setup.

I've gone through three now technically, front diff / bearing issues twice, and that s201 2nd gear.

To be fair when I say "let off quickly" I mean I may have accidentally sidestepped the clutch. Do not recommend. It's the shock loads that kill the 5 speeds. There is that guy in NASIOC's proven power bragging making 751awhp and 638wtq on a stock 5 speed, no blast plates.

I want to go 6 speed so I can run antilag, launch control, and flat foot shifting without worrying about the driveline. I love flat foot shifting in the forester, the lack of lag when in the next gear is glorious.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #18
Todviper
1.8L

Small update, Got a "good" gas tank from a wrecking yard, it seemed fine, but because I didn't want to ever have to do the tank again for the life of the car *knock on wood, aka my head*, I had it opened up, inspected for leaks, resealed, and pressure tested.

Done with exams now, so I'm working full time and making some coin, so at this point it's down to when my shop has time to install all of the things that I've accumulated.
I would try and do them myself, but it's
1. way too cold
2. way too rusty of a car to bother with without air tools and a lift (yay Canada...)

I also installed a Sparco Chrono Road seat for myself, which I quite enjoy so far, and it already has WRX heating elements installed, so I need to rig that wiring up and I'll have a nice heated seat with ample bolstering!

Depending if I can get some shop / garage space, I'll see if I can't get the '02 wrx ecu up and running in the car before I return to school in January, but right now the focus is mechanical issues.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:01 AM   #19
Tsidreams
3.3L

Car: EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
Fav Mod: DRIVER
Trader Rating: (1)

Great start to a project car! VERY respectable mods. I like it!
I also have a s201/RA limited trans. been good so far, but I seriously thrash mine, hydraulic hand braking, clutch kicking, gear slamming... I treat it like a 6 speed. if it brakes, I'm putting straight cut gears in it. LOVE this trans.

Also, I'm in Metro Detroit, if you're ever state side and need a hand, let me know,
Scott
Old 12-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #20
kay95
Premium Member

Car: 95 L, 96 OUTBACK
Fav Mod: p1 SUSPENSION
Trader Rating: (2)

Did you get the rear axles with the suretrac? I cant find it anymore but I had to recut the c clip grooves to keep the axles in the correct location so I didn't leak oil. You can use the 98+ axles and take the inner cups off. The splines aren't hard but are super tough. I turned them in a lathe but grinding them would have been easier.
kay95 is offline   Reply With Quote