Hawk296's Old Green L - Page 6 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Hawk296's Old Green L

Old 05-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #51
Hawk296
2.2L

Car: 1995 L
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4awd View Post
Nice updates, I'd like to see another proper photoshoot like you did on the first post. I had that image of it on the snow as my background for a while.
Iíll get some real pics one of these days. Usually I am doing testing or troubleshooting when I have it out and not in a position to take pics. That first pic was taken at Bonneville salt flats.
Hawk296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 06:14 PM   #52
Hawk296
2.2L

Wideband arrived but no time to install it. Trying to find a few days off so I can schedule some dyno time.

I have been putting on a few miles here and there. Drove it to work today.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:27 PM   #53
Hawk296
2.2L

What I thought was going to be an awesome car filled summer has not been. Too much work getting in the way. Zero track days an the car has barely been touched.

I also blame this little lady that we picked up five weeks ago or so.

She has been taking my free time. Putting some more miles on the car around town recently and found the permatex thread sealant on the oil pressure gauge line was leaking so I fixed that. Got two check engine lights, one for IAC and one for Pressure Sensor. Hooked the LINK G4 up so I could read sensor voltages to troubleshoot and didnít really see a problem but the IAT sensor I had installed wasnít reading. After an hour and a half of tweaking settings and recalibrating sensors, I realized the JDM STI wiring diagram I have shows a different pin than the ďplug and playĒ link does. Swapped pins and everything is good.

I REALLY want to get it on a dyno for tuning this summer but itís been pretty hard to find the time.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #54
FXTrev
2.5L

Fav Mod: Suspension

Glad you got the CELs figured out, but a bummer when you can't find the time to work on the car=.

Puppy is cute though!
FXTrev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #55
Hawk296
2.2L

Finally got the wideband 02 installed! I ended up using a Spartan 2 Lambda from 14Point7. It was really affordable and I was curious how it would work. Last time I did this on the Baja I used an Innovate LC1. Didnít have good luck with that company... I purchased a new 02 sensor connector from iwire, and wired in the wideband just like the OEM one. This will also enable me to swap between the factory narrow band and the wideband if I decide to use the OEM ECU again. I added a 4th wire to the connector on the harness side and ran a separate ground. I did not use the narrowband simulator or status LED wires at this time. Plugged it all in, changed the input in the ECU from narrowband to wideband and plugged the calibration numbers into the Link software and so far so good!

Now only if I had a clue as to what I was doing. Still hoping to get it on a dyno for tuning this season, but Iíll be messing around with it until then and hopefully learn something.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #56
Hawk296
2.2L

Not much progress, been doing alittle bit of tuning. One of this weeks cars and coffee locations was featureing ďJDM LegendsĒ So I took it out and ran into this guy:

My two favorite Imprezas in SE Michigan!

Got home and decided to go out and spend $3 on a micro USB to USB OTG cable for my phone. Now I can get the real dash app to work on my android devices and the Link ECU.

Itís kind of gimmicky but it really added a lot of functionality to the car for under $3. If I just want to view a few parameters I can just plug my phone in vs having to haul the laptop around all the time. Itís very configurable and kind of neat to be able to display this info on a 1995 OBD I vehicle.

I have it scheduled for dyno time in about three weeks. Hopefully more good updates then.

Last edited by Hawk296; 09-15-2018 at 08:57 PM..
Old 09-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #57
Hawk296
2.2L

Baja has been in need of maintenance and the Mustang is in for warranty work so my car wrenching time has been focused on getting the Baja ready to go before winter.

Parking brake stopped working a few months ago. Not only did the cable snap, but the backing plates were so rotted out the shoes were no longer secured either.

So I replaced the backing plates, bearings, hubs, cables, rotors pads, and all the parking brake pieces.

It sucked with all the rust but itís back on the road.

With that mess out of the way, I had the garage open and my neighbor took a moment away from his BMW E30 project and offered to help me make a mount for my zip tied oil pressure sensor.

This is what we came up with. Iíll just have to shoot some spray paint on it when it is a little less humid outside.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #58
Hawk296
2.2L

FINALLY! Big, big updates! Dyno Day!

Instead of working on the car this past weekend I took the Mustang to the track. It was wet, it was a handful and a little scary, but it was an absolute blast!

Two days ago I put the mustang back into street mode and I finally got an alignment on the Impreza after the lateral link swap. Nothing crazy but itís a lot better to drive.

Yesterday I prepped the car for itís longest journey yet. Topped off all the fluids and pressures and double checked everything I could think of. Drove it carefully two and a half hours in hard, driving rain to Kalamazoo to spend the night with the inlaws. Drove over on a modified base map and was careful not to get too aggressive. I was paranoid. Every noise, vibration, hiccup made me question itís reliability and question the project as a whole. I worried my once completely reliable car had been ruined.

We made it, but I was exhausted from the loud exhaust and worrying about every detail as well as the extremely rainy conditions.

I woke this morning excited yet nervous. I know every detail of this car and knew it wasnít 100%. I started second guessing every vac line routing, every wire connection, everything that I have plans to tidy up but didnít have time to.

I called earlier in the week to confirm my appointment and had asked if I would be able to watch the car get tuned. I was told they normally do not but it should only take 4 hours if everything went well. I Left Kalamazoo for Paw Paw where Whalen speed R&D is with my father in law in chase to give me a ride. I chose this company because of their familiarity with the Link G4+ depspite the fact they are heavy on the Mitsubushi side.

I arrived early and the doors opened at 9am. The car was strapped to the dyno before I even finished paperwork.We went over my goals and the cars current setup, next thing I know things were rolling and it was making noise.

I asked what time I should head back and they invited me to stay and watch...and learn, so I did!

All said and done things went really, really, smoothly. For a stock setup, stock turbo, injectors etc. i was very happy with the results. The injectors topped out at around 20 PSI in the little VF24.

Then the launch control feature was turned on and dialed in. About 3 hours after rolling onto the dyno it was rolled off and ready to go.

WOW! What an improvement. The car is wonderful. I kept on expecting a hiccup, a misfire, an overboost or something to fail on the drive back to Kalamazoo. Nothing, It ran flawlessly and pulls really, really good! The powerband is so smooth and it revs so freely. The idle is much improved as well.

Loaded up the car and headed 2.5 hours back home, almost all highway. It was fantastic the whole way home. It reminds me of how it used to be a long long time ago. All my fears and doubts were discarded and I trust the car again. It was longest/farthest I have driven the car in past two years and it handled it problem free. I canít wait to drive it more and more and more!

Over the winter I will focus on getting it track ready. Catch can, oil cooler etc. Iíll relearn the car with the new found power, limited slip diffs etc. and then maybe look at larger injectors and E85. It looks like there is still a good amount of power to be unlocked potentially.

Also, the new headunit is awesome with the hands free and Bluetooth capability.

I LOVE this car!

Last edited by Hawk296; 10-12-2018 at 08:49 PM..
Old 10-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #59
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Fav Mod: Park Bench
Trader Rating: (53)

Whalen is good people. Sounds like a super fun day.

Any way you can pull your maps off? I'd love to have a look at them for science related purposes.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #60
FXTrev
2.5L

Fav Mod: Suspension

Great to hear the car is running well. Solid numbers. Really like how subtle this car is; love the green.
FXTrev is online now   Reply With Quote