Hawk296's Old Green L - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Hawk296's Old Green L

Old 10-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #61
Hawk296
2.0L

Car: 1995 L
Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox92 View Post
Whalen is good people. Sounds like a super fun day.

Any way you can pull your maps off? I'd love to have a look at them for science related purposes.
It was super fun. John is a really cool dude.

Already pulled the file for backup purposes. Looking for timing maps? Itís a bit different and alittle hard to compare as its speed density and all the units are a bit different, but youíre glad to have a look.

Also:

Last edited by Hawk296; 10-12-2018 at 08:46 PM..
Hawk296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #62
Hawk296
2.0L

I have been driving the car purely for the fun of it. The shifter/trans still had some resistance and feedback when trying to shift and I started to suspect a bit of clutch drag. The only common part is the used jdm slave cylinder that I got with the legacy turbo trans. It appeared to be working fine but its really,really old. I put a new slave cylinder from an 02 wrx on and the clutch is smoother and the resistance in the shifter is gone. It drives even better now!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #63
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Fav Mod: Park Bench
Trader Rating: (53)

Yay new parts!

Did you use one with a delay valve on it, or without?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #64
Hawk296
2.0L

Honestly, I have no idea these days which ones have or donít have delay valves, but I do not believe this one does. I believe this is the early 02 WRX/04 FXT part. The new one looks almost identical to the one I pulled off except for a few casting marks. The fitting is on top for a Banjo bolt and the bleeder slightly offset and angled behind it.

The one I removed:

The other 02 WRX part number has the fitting in the rear for the hard line and the boss on the top to mount the delay valve orifice (like my Baja turbo has) this new one does not have that or the removable fitting/valve in the rear like the STI 6 speed slave cylinders.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #65
Hawk296
2.0L

Car is parked inside for the winter. Itís waaay too cold to do any substantial work out in the garage and I donít have the space to do so.

But I need something to tinker with over the winter so I started this I/C water spray project this evening.

I have been unable to find a Type RA shroud and I have been unable to order one from Japan because they are supposedly all gone and no longer in production. I removed my non spray shroud and made it spray.

Measured, marked and centerpunched for the nozzle holes.

Drilled holes

Used a small needle file to shape the tangs for the nozzles

Snapped the GC8 spray nozzles in place

Reinstalled the scoop backing plate and shroud

Water spray nozzles!

Over the winter Iíll route the lines, make a harness to wire everything up and gather/install the rest of the parts. I still need the auto switch so I can wire in the output from the ECU and figure out which tank I want to use for mounting in the rear since the OEM one I have goes where my ABS is. It will be fun.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #66
Hawk296
2.0L

I think I have the ECU figured out so it can control water spray on itís own. With the auto switch ďONĒ it is set to start a 5 sec spray timer when boost exceeds 15 PSI. I can add IAT limits or whatever else I want to that later if I choose. The manual switch is set to start a 5 sec timer whenever it is pushed even if the auto mode is already engaged. Just need to hook up all the hardware, and still source the proper auto switch. I donít think much more will get done for awhile as itís a busy time of year.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #67
equinox92
They call me Garrett

Fav Mod: Park Bench
Trader Rating: (53)

Looks wonderful!
Old 12-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #68
Hawk296
2.0L

The winter water spray project continues. In my quest to keep everything as clean and professional looking as possible, I really wanted to use the OEM switches. Finding a GC8 ďwater spray autoĒ switch proved to be alittle more difficult than planned. I ended up ordering a new one from Japan. Not cheap but really not bad for $47 shipped from Japan to my doorstep in MI.

Love the way it looks and matches the other existing switches perfectly! Next up, wiring them.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #69
scruff3333
Premium Member

Fav Mod: broken motor
Trader Rating: (10)

Looks right at home.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #70
Hawk296
2.0L

Cold weather and with a new kid as of a few weeks ago, not much has been done. But parts keep trickling in.

Decided on a tank for the intercooler spray. Mocking it up. Who else has installed the Spec C tank in a GC? How is it mounted? Trying to decide if I keep it as forward as possible or further back behind the strut bar. Forward means Iíll have to fill it from inside the car (a pain with a fixed back seat and harness bar.) and also means it will have to come out if I need to swap fuel pumps. Rearward would make the pump access easy and fillable from the trunk. Weight more rearward probably wonít hurt with the forward weight bias as is and its only about 6Ē. It would also mean alittle more involved mounting solution.

Last edited by Hawk296; 02-25-2019 at 03:08 PM..