Hawk296's Old Green L - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Hawk296's Old Green L

Old 05-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #11
Hawk296
2.0L

Car: 1995 L
Trader Rating: (0)

Last month while trying to reboot the left rear axle, everything went wrong. The Long bolt that goes through the lateral links and knuckle was seized to the bushings. Trying to remove it with a breaker bar cause the aged urethane in the Noltec camber plates to fail and it all came crashing down. It also broke the parking brake shoe when it fell so those had to be replaced as well.

Took all day and some luck getting parts but I got it back together. And now I am on group N strut tops front and rear (rears are getting hard to get).

I mocked up the Grill and headlights and realized how cloudy the sidemarkers were, so I replaced those with some cheap aftermarket ones for now.

Replaced the hood latch and wiper arms as well since the original ones were pretty nasty.

And now it's at the paint shop to make it all one color!

Last edited by Hawk296; 07-07-2017 at 01:41 PM..
Hawk296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
Hawk296
2.0L

After getting into it, found a few surpises in the form of corrosion we were not expecting. Just means I've been waiting alittle longer than planned. Hopefully soon!

Last edited by Hawk296; 07-07-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #13
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

sub'd. that ver4 front is going to look good. plan on the ver4 lip/spat things to go with it?
Old 06-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #14
Hawk296
2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
sub'd. that ver4 front is going to look good. plan on the ver4 lip/spat things to go with it?
If I do, I'll add it later. I really like the way the v4 3 pieces front lip, side skirts and spats look but I'm not sure if I want to give up my factory splash guards. They work and I kinda dig the look. Don't know how the front lip would look without the other pieces either.

Last part should be at the shop next week for the body repair (new door skin) hopefully I'll have it back in a week and a half to assemble and then start the tuning process.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #15
Hawk296
2.0L

For the past year the car has been rolling around the garage on my track tires, RS 6 spokes with BFG Rivals. The street wheels had 10 year old dry rotted and badly cracking Goodyear F1s. I decided while I was waiting I should order new wheels and tires for normal street use but I just couldn't let the old P7s go despite being an older style and really heavy since I just really like how they look. So I ordered some new Falken Azenis for them and they arrived yesterday. I figured while I was still waiting for the body shop to finish I would take them to get mounted today so they would be ready to go when the car was ready. They still need to be washed.

Then while waiting for the tires to be mounted, it happened. I got the call. The car was ready.

It's finally back home. I still have to swap bumpers, add the grill badge, swap wheels and add the washer nozzles and intercooler ducting as well as recharge the A/C but that's going to have to wait a week or so until I get some more time to work on it. I absolutely love how it turned out and I'm glad to have it back in the garage. Today was a good day.

Last edited by Hawk296; 07-07-2017 at 01:36 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 06:36 AM   #16
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

wow that green is beautiful.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #17
Hawk296
2.0L

Got some work done before I leave town. Hood seal is on. Hood scoop plate and intercooler shroud are on. New grill emblem is on. V4 Bumper is almost on. I need new hardware to attach it to the fenders as those stupid clips with the captured nuts fell apart on disassembly. I also have to rewire the lights because the existing L fog lights and turn signals have the connectors reversed from the JDM ones. So the turn signal harness plugs into the fogs and the fog harness plugs into the turn signals. Then the new mud guards with provisions for the brake ducts will get installed and everything buttoned up.

Last edited by Hawk296; 07-10-2017 at 02:30 PM..
Old 06-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #18
04trailsti
2.0L

Hawk, the lateral link disaster is definitely heartbreaking. I had the same issue back in 2008 with my 2004 STI.... likewise a Michigan car!! a 45 dollar fix quickly turned into a $350+ new hub assembly.
The car is gorgeous, I just picked up a 98L auto and a motor-less 06WRX and will be swapping the entire wrx drivetrain and suspension into the gutless L. Ill definitely be following your thread.
BTW I used to live in Waterford, raced BMX at Waterford Oaks.
04trailsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #19
Hawk296
2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04trailsti View Post
I just picked up a 98L auto and a motor-less 06WRX and will be swapping the entire wrx drivetrain and suspension into the gutless L. Ill definitely be following your thread.
BTW I used to live in Waterford, raced BMX at Waterford Oaks.
Nice!

I got some things done over the weekend. Re-wired the turn signals and fogs so those are working now.

Got the new mudguards installed with the functional brake cooling ducts. Re-charged the Air Conditioning.

Also put the P7s back on with the new Azenis to roll around on the street with.

Last edited by Hawk296; 07-07-2017 at 01:32 PM..
Old 07-03-2017, 04:53 AM   #20
Stew3223
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Displacement Reduction
Trader Rating: (8)

I love this car. So clean!