DrunkenBoxer 2.0 - Page 8 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
DrunkenBoxer 2.0

Old 05-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #71
crjohnson
2.0L

Trader Rating: (0)

Hey ImprezaRSC have you been using a wideband 02 and/or knock sensor throughout all your testing? I'm about to start playing around with my bluessm and ej251 (delta 1500 cams and a few mods). Cant wait to see what can really be done with slightly worked ej25!
crjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #72
ImprezaRSC
2.0L Turbo

Car: 2000 2.5RS BRP
Fav Mod: 8 SEMA awards.
Trader Rating: (2)

This thread could use an update.

The car sat most of the summer while I worked....a lot. I've taken up tuning my Chevy with HPTuners as another hobby. My work truck is up from 14mpg to 19mpg on gas. E85 was 10mpg, now up to 14mpg. That was educational. It needed some hardware replaced, like coil packs, plugs, MAF, and o2 sensors, and eventually came the water pump. Mileage was 110k, so it had age related issues. Turns out the RS had some age issues, too.

Over the summer I replaced the front O2, TPS sensor, and MAP sensor. No codes, no hiccups...just running really slow with a pig rich AFR, even after backing fuel out. It should have felt like boost. One day, all the fun just went away with no indication of why. The TPS and the MAP were the oldest sensors on the build. I changed them out, and everything changed. Suddenly, the o2 sensor had a full swing in readings. The sound became unbelievable, and all the performance came back in spades. I could adjust the fuel mapping and the o2 sensor would respond. So, it's back on track. The fuel mapping and cold start needs some further polishing, and then I'll go back to E85.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #73
ImprezaRSC
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
Hey ImprezaRSC have you been using a wideband 02 and/or knock sensor throughout all your testing? I'm about to start playing around with my bluessm and ej251 (delta 1500 cams and a few mods). Cant wait to see what can really be done with slightly worked ej25!
I've been reading both sensors from the stock ECU. If you run it open loop, it will ignore both. That's why I've been working in closed loop first.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #74
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

Nice update!
Old 09-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #75
ImprezaRSC
2.0L Turbo

Whee!
Old 09-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #76
ImprezaRSC
2.0L Turbo

So, yeah...it's fun again. Every gear pulls like mild boost, and that's exactly what I wanted. For a junkyard swap with fab and mods, it's wonderful. The sound is incredible, like a cracking whip and a mini-gun.

The details with the tuning bring the character to life. I'm still working things out on the ProjectLambda software, but the tweaking is finally rewarding. I was getting nowhere with minor tweaks for a while until I changed out the TPS and MAP. I'm working on transitional throttle between tip-in tables and VE throttle compensation. I can see it go a little too rich on tip in and then level out past +20% throttle gain.

I'm basically undoing the tweaks that I made before replacing the MAP + TPS, and trying a different strategy with fuel. I'm also pulling back timing on the top end and it's showing some positive results. The injectors and fuel pump may be getting a little weak. Top end near 6k seems to go between lean and rich. Tuning is conservative, but the giddy-up is plenty quick. It feels like it's headed in the right direction....straight to a blown transmission :P.

Last edited by ImprezaRSC; 09-17-2017 at 11:33 AM..
ImprezaRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #77
bue car

Have you upgraded the rails yet? Don't remember
Old 09-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #78
ImprezaRSC
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue car View Post
Have you upgraded the rails yet? Don't remember
Very much so. The injectors are 10 years old, and the Aeromotive 340 pump is about 7 years old. I had the injectors cleaned before I put them in.

The fuel blending trick worked in the mapping. I brought the VE throttle compensation columns over to 25% throttle. The Fuel Acceleration Enrich table ends at 20%, I'm scooting the throttle VE back where the FAE table leaves off. Rescaling FAE's break points didn't really help anything. The trick was more in the numbers used. At low-mid rpm and part throttle, fuelling is very specific for this combo. I get twice the throttle area opening all the time. So, 5% throttle is like 10%. 10% is like 20%, etc. But not from the computer's point of view. That's where the programming comes in handy. It helps for the ECU to be able to see well, instead of through a kaleidoscope .

I'll play with E85 next weekend .
Old 09-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #79
bue car

Fer sure

I figured the injectors and pump were upgraded, was not sure if the actual rails were to flow more
Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #80
MSRTom
Premium Member

Fav Mod: External HG leak
Trader Rating: (1)

Did you use new OEM Subaru TPS and MAP sensors? I've been looking at my live data, and it seems fine, but I wonder if new sensors could be beneficial.

Last edited by MSRTom; 09-18-2017 at 01:09 PM..
MSRTom is offline   Reply With Quote