Tapping wont help. Your better off pulling belt and removing the gear and inspecting. It also looks to be a tooth off if the pic above is supposed to be lined up
They are all set back a tooth it just shifted after we put the belt on. I put the belt on twice so far. The first time I turned the motor over by hand using the red bolt and by the time I got it all the way back to the marks the belt had jumped about 5 teeth? Any idea what can cause this? I was thinking I might have been taking tension off the tensioner so it was causing it to jump because I would notice that move up and down quick. Is there anyway I can hand crank the motor to make sure everything is right without this happening?
Order a new crankshaft pulley and key, a few things for my transmission, group-n motor mounts, OEM wrx header, OEM 550cc injectors, and fittings to run coolant lines to the turbo. Hopefully they all come in before Friday so I can get some wrench time in!
Picked up a 04 wrx up pipe today for dirt cheap and it looks like all the parts will be in tomorrow! Plan Friday is to finish the timing belt, install the new injectors and mock up the header/up pipe with the subframe so I can see how much of it I need to notch out.
Yesterday I took off all the brackets and shift linkage on my 5spd and cleaned it in preparation to be looked over at the transmission shop. Then today I cleaned and painted some of the mounts for it.
The new crankshaft pulley and key seems to have fixed the problem. Got the front all buttoned up and test fitted the exhaust and turbo. Got some more trimming on the subframe to do and have to relocate the harness and some other lines because I don't see how any of this is going to work. Anyone running a td04 on a 2.2 please chime in! In the mean time I'll be reading build threads lol
Well today started as a good day. Got the subframe fitting perfect with the up-pipe so I decided to finally take off the oil pan to clean and prep for the turbo oil return line..... Well.... I found this.... FML...
All those black dots in the bag are metal shavings I found in the oil pan AFTER I rinsed it out in the slop sink. I'm guessing it's a rod bearing but now I have no idea what to do (well I know what to do but I don't have the cash to). I cut open the oil filter that was on the motor and found two shavings in there so I know they didn't just make there way down into the pan while I was cleaning the block.
My buddy is convinced since the car ran before, the cylinder walls were fine, and the old head were fine it's just normal wear. But I'm convinced this thing is toast. I'm thinking I'm just going to finish the build and if it pops on the dyno then I'll just have to find and build a new shortblock.
Got the subframe welded yesterday just need to clean it up a little more and paint it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Also got my power steering pump rebuild kit in today so that's up next. Hopefully will have both pieces finished and installed by Friday.