The CA BAR Approved EJ207 Version 6 Build - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
The CA BAR Approved EJ207 Version 6 Build

Old 03-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #81
Razor7
3.3L

Fav Mod: Version 5 Swap
Trader Rating: (5)

New (street) brakes installed. But, I blanked and forgot that ver 5 calipers with vented rotors use RS pads - I bought '94 legacy turbo pads to match the vented rotors. Guess I won't be running anything upgraded in the back. Oh well.

Also took the time to do engine, transmission, and diff fluid changes. Also verified that yes, I am running a suretrac rear diff.

Broke in the brakes last night and they do stop pretty quick. Not a huge improvement over where I was with oem rotors and akebono pads, but I at least now know the mileage on them.

I've got another fun project that'll happen before the trackday, maybe I'll get a chance to post about it tonight.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 03-20-2018 at 11:10 PM..
Razor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #82
onefasazn
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

What was your reason for going with the DTC-60s? Is that not too much pad for your setup?
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:09 PM   #83
Razor7
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefasazn View Post
What was your reason for going with the DTC-60s? Is that not too much pad for your setup?
They were recommended by my roommate who races spec e46.

Overkill for me, but something to play with. I've got to learn how to drive the thing first.

-TC
Old 03-20-2018, 11:52 PM   #84
onefasazn
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor7 View Post
They were recommended by my roommate who races spec e46.

Overkill for me, but something to play with. I've got to learn how to drive the thing first.

-TC
Yeah I was looking at the Hawk Blues or HT-10s for the front of the coupe
Old 03-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #85
Razor7
3.3L

Couple of things to highlight (driver excuses):

1. This is my first time on the track
2. I'm running road tires (Pole Position S-04s, 280 treadwear)
3. I'm driving a car I hand built in my garage over many years, combining parts off at least 15 vehicles

So, with those in mind, I'm pleased with my 2:20:9 lap. If I can just learn to track out further, throw on stickier rubber, and get more seat time, I should be able to get down to 2:10 or quicker. My telemetry data is closely similar to my buddy's spec E46, but the different is years of practice on his end.

@onefasazn, the DTC-60s were sublime. I never had to worry about them fading when scrubbing speed. Went from 118 ->60 going into turn one, it was easy and repeatable every lap. I highly recommend them.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 03-27-2018 at 11:40 AM..
Old 03-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #86
onefasazn
2.2L

Nice! Glad the car worked out well.

I already ordered a set of DTC-30s, we'll see if they hold up or not haha
Old 04-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #87
Razor7
3.3L

Not much to update.

I added a color matched Greddy boost gauge before the trackday. I then realized I'll never actually look at a boost gauge when driving hard, where it would actually matter. But, it looks cool and matches the gauges. I'll move it to a better location soon, looks too boy-racerish currently.

I also bought new seats to replace the fading 2004 STI seats that I've had in the car for 4+ years. But, the seller sent me the wrong set. We worked it out and I'll be receiving the right set tomorrow, but for now this is what I've got. They oddly match better than I expected.

More to come.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 04-11-2018 at 08:39 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #88
Razor7
3.3L

So the actual seats I wanted came in. Don't let the image fool you, there isn't some large white spot on them - that's just sunlight.

I'll be stripping them down to clean the covers and transfer rails. Then, I'll be installing seat heaters because I'm bougie and want a hot ass in the winter.

They actually have an interesting pattern and should match my 1996 Impreza 60/40 folding rear seats pretty well.

Most importantly, they have a bolster that's properly sized for a non-fat American.

Of course, I didn't really expect to be the owner of (3) sets of seats, but here we are. I should be able to combine into 1 functional pair, 1 pair solely to sell off, and 1 pair to do whatever I want with.

Also installed an oil pressure gauge and a new bezel for both it and the boost gauge. However, the extension cable that connects the gauge to the sensor was missing a wire on pin 2. I'll have to figure out a way to replace the cable or repin it before I can get an accurate reading.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 04-16-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Old 04-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #89
Razor7
3.3L

Well, I learned something new about seats last night.

GD seats come in (2) types, what I'll refer to as Rev 1 and Rev 2.

Rev 1 - 2002 and 2003
Rev 2 - 2004 - 2007

You can tell the difference by the hinge that the seat-back uses. Rev 2 models have (2) mount points on each side (4 total) while Rev 1 models have (2) mount points on one side and (1) mount point on the other (3 total). You cannot mix and match components from Rev 1 and Rev 2 - none of the sliders or seat-backs can be moved around.

So I took the GD JDM WRX Rev 2 seat that was already installed and swapped bases with my GD USDM STI seat which was already cut and welded to match the RS bolt pattern for mounting by a previous owner. This gave me a driver seat with full adjustment and leaves me with a passenger seat that allows for full adjustment, too.

But, I'm not able to use the fabric and seats that I wanted to. The Rev 2 seats have a wider bolster and are physically larger to support the side curtain airbag. I also wasn't able to add in the seat heaters as the covers are glued on, both the seat-back and seat-base.

Next step is to buy Front L+R WRX seats from a 2002/2003 model and see if I can swap my Rev 1 components over...

At least now I don't feel like I'm driving a tractor.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 04-19-2018 at 06:16 PM..
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #90
Razor7
3.3L

Coolant is slippery.

A coolant line burst while I was turning through an intersection, causing me to spin. Thankfully there was no damage to anyone or anything.

Removed the crossover nipple that caused it, replaced the tube and got her up and running in 1 hour.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 04-19-2018 at 09:46 PM..