The CA BAR Approved EJ207 Version 6 Build - Page 8 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
The CA BAR Approved EJ207 Version 6 Build

Old 12-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #71
Razor7
3.3L

Fav Mod: Version 5 Swap
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefasazn View Post
Great choice on the rear suspension links.

STi pink sphericals are the way to go
Honestly, I blame you for those. I forgot about them being available via Japan Parts, then I read your journal.

We need to sync up once my car is driveable.

-TC
Razor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #72
onefasazn
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor7 View Post
Honestly, I blame you for those. I forgot about them being available via Japan Parts, then I read your journal.

We need to sync up once my car is driveable.

-TC
Haha.

Yeah, I'm sure your car will be up and running soon, mine will actually be going down here shortly for all the mods
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #73
Razor7
3.3L

In lieu of a good time to get the car aligned, I got it 98% there using the string method over the weekend. Came out fine enough and I'm able to drive it. Swapped back to the stock boost solenoid so I can feel a little bit better about driving it around without a new tune.

But I found that the whiteline rear endlinks like to hit the fuel filler neck when the rear right strut is compressed. Makes the wheel hop when doing tight left hand circles. This is just due to the lateral links mounts being the JDM version where you'd typically run the JDM ball jointed end links. I'll probably need to make my own as re-installing the JDM ones will require me to drop the mount for them and I can't be bothered now that the alignment is done.

I also found my front right caliper's pistons don't want to retract fully causing them to drag a little bit, the grinding from my transmission is still there (likely bad transfer case or input/output bearing), my headlights are aimed a little bit too high, the replacement EGT sensor only reads two values (384f and 2084f), the clutch slave needs another bleeding, and the replacement airbag ECM still throws a code for high impedance on the front left srs sensor. Due to the newer mounts and actually securing the down pipe to the transmission, it now sounds like a sewing machine inside at idle. Oh, and I threw codes for misfires on cylinders 1, 2, and 3 - but I've had that happen before.

BUT! ABS is back to being fully functional, the brake pedal pressure has increased closer to where I want it, the suspension is fantastic and I'm excited to set it up a bit more to my liking, the turbo seems to spool up much quicker (no actual pulls until the tune is done), the clutch is grippier, I no longer clunk when coming to a stop, and I can actually see ahead of me.

So.... net positive. I think.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 12-29-2017 at 05:58 PM..
Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #74
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

Not sure how I've missed this project thread! Sub'd to pick through on the days off coming up. Watched the time lapse and I know how tough it is to stay determined to charge batts, load photos and edit without wondering why you are spending nearly as much time on the cam as you are on the car. Vid and car came out great!! Look forward to watching you tie up some of the loose ends. Each task off the ToDo list will help that sh!t eating grin grow. Keep it up!
Old 12-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #75
Razor7
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by steezin_and_wheezin View Post
Not sure how I've missed this project thread! Sub'd to pick through on the days off coming up. Watched the time lapse and I know how tough it is to stay determined to charge batts, load photos and edit without wondering why you are spending nearly as much time on the cam as you are on the car. Vid and car came out great!! Look forward to watching you tie up some of the loose ends. Each task off the ToDo list will help that sh!t eating grin grow. Keep it up!
Thanks bud!

I cheated on the timelapse - GoPro with external battery, 5 second intervals on the images using the timelapse feature, and 64GB SD cards. It was all captured on one card and I just stitched them together. All I really had to do was charge the external battery pack every night and turn it on in the morning :-D

Here's hoping on the todo list. I told myself I'd fix all mechanical issues before focusing on interior and exterior, but I may need to rethink that.

The headlights are now aimed and the clutch engagement is improving through repeated use / the friction disk breaking in. I think the hard question to answer will be converting to 6 speed or replacing the transmission with another 5 speed 4.44 next year.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 12-19-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #76
Razor7
3.3L

I've been driving this car since mid December without fault. It's running great.

Tune scheduled for Feb 27-28.

I still need to sort out the rear endlinks. I may go back to JDM sphericals or build some heim joints. I'm currently running front Whiteline links in the rear, but there's a clunk when dropping from a speed bump. Could also be the trunk lid.

-TC
Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #77
onefasazn
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor7 View Post
I've been driving this car since mid December without fault. It's running great.

Tune scheduled for Feb 27-28.

I still need to sort out the rear endlinks. I may go back to JDM sphericals or build some heim joints. I'm currently running front Whiteline links in the rear, but there's a clunk when dropping from a speed bump. Could also be the trunk lid.

-TC
Most likely the end links. Recheck the torque on them and when you do, remember you have to torque them at ride height and not with the car jacked up in the air.
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #78
Razor7
3.3L

I quintuple checked the rear end for anything being loose and found nothing. Re-torqued the JDM STI end links on the ground. Sound still persists - I'm thinking it's the trunk lid.

Drove up to Tahoe again, about a 500 mile road trip. Not a single issue. Though I did have to replace the fuel pressure regulator the night before. Got a couple snownuts in to make sure it was working correctly.

Just got it tuned again at Mann Engineering (good chatting with ya, onefasazn), now I'm up to 272hp and 239tq (from 232hp and 210tq) - plenty to have fun with. There's far, far less lag, and power comes on very smooth. Seems delicioustuning upped the boost to 20psi. But, now I'm getting some surge when letting off from wot, so I'll need to look into my BPV.

Beyond that I'm getting parts (mainly a brake refresh) together to take the car out to Thunderhill in late March. It'll be nice to finally track this thing.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 03-07-2018 at 07:22 PM..
Old 03-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #79
Hot Tub Rob
2.7L

Fav Mod: Alpine W940
Trader Rating: (2)

Beautiful build
Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 PM   #80
Razor7
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tub Rob View Post
Beautiful build
Thanks!

I found the clunk - it's the end links. I'm going to get some superpros in there and enlarge every hole to fit the 12mm bolt.

I've also replaced my front speakers with Dayton Classic 6.5" woofers, quite the improvement over my aging Pioneers. Next up are some Tang Bang 6.75" subwoofers in the rear deck, then I'll modify the rear doors and cards to fit 6.5" components in them.

All new pads, rotors, master cylinder brace, and fluid going in this weekend. I bought 2 new sets - one for street and one for track. Hawk DTC60s in the front and blues in the rear with blank rotors and Motul 500.1. Same setup but with Stoptech pads for street. Also doing engine oil, transmission fluid, and diff fluid. All in preparation for Thunderhill on March 26th.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 03-19-2018 at 03:07 PM..