The CA BAR Approved EJ207 Version 6 Build - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
The CA BAR Approved EJ207 Version 6 Build

Old 07-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #61
Razor7
3.3L

Fav Mod: Version 5 Swap
Trader Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefasazn View Post
Hey TC! Its Jan from Mann.

Come bring the car back by the shop and I can show you my new toys!
Totally, I need to see you guys soon, and getting a look at either your coupe or sedan would be great!

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 07-13-2017 at 11:30 PM..
Razor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #62
Razor7
3.3L

Fuel pump in and I'm back to running. The Aeromotive Stealth 11542 pump fits right in without any modifications - just solder and heat shrink the leads to the stock harness.

Now that I've removed the fuel pump 4 times, I've found a couple tricks for fitting the STI fuel slosh box:
- Don't drill it into the frame for the fuel pump like it is on the STI - it needs to move a little
- Run the fuel temp sensor wiring in between the frame and support for the slosh box
- Connect the fuel temp sensor but remove the fuel level sensor while putting the box back in. This really helps with fitting the float arm without bending it and is required for fitting the slosh box in the fuel tank's baffling. You can use a 7mm socket to remove it, just keep an extendable magnet handy
- *Always* replace the gasket for the pump assembly to the tank. This is considered a 1-time use gasket and is worth the peace of mind
- Ideally, replace any fuel lines from the return and pump output

(also don't break a connection to the fuel temp sensor or it'll report -40f and throw a P0183)

-TC
Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #63
Razor7
3.3L

Well weíre coming up on that time of year again. For the last 2 years Iíve dedicated a week straight to working on the car while my company shuts down for Thanksgiving. This year looks to be the same.

This year will be to fix up the following:
- Complete re-do of the exhaust (while staying CA compliant... probably) [JDM Up-pipe, JDM down pipe (with O2 sensor welded in), JDM mid-pipe and muffler]
- Cobb 3 port boost control solenoid
- 3mm Phenolic spacer (mainly for GR intercooler clearance)
- Coilovers
- Sway bars
- Clutch assembly (mainly because of a bad pressure plate)
- Adding tone rings to front axles
- Replace airbag control module
- Fix fuel sending unit
- Maybe get the AC recharged
- Alignment
- Corner balance

This will fix these major issues Iíve been dealing with for far too long:
- Grinding on deceleration, no load, in gear - Sounds like itís the pressure plate and throw out bearing.
- ABS doesnít work - My own notes show why - Iím using Ď99 JDM axles which donít have tone rings on them. If $25 fixes my ABS then Iíll be ecstatic!
- Airbags are dead - A heat wave came this year and likely caused the ECM to die. Should be as simple as swapping in a new one and actually running a heat shield where the cats are :-P
- Clunking suspension - Typical JDM V5 inverted strut clunk.
- Serious lag from VF28 - I come on full boost at 4K RPMs, and even with a quality tune, that means thereís weird jerking issues in the 3-4K RPM range where the ECU is looking for boost that isnít there. Obviously this will be backed with a re-tune.
- Incorrect fuel readings - With removing the fuel pump assembly ~5 times in the last 6 months, the mounts for the fuel level sending unit are weak and the jerkiness of 3-4K RPM has caused the reading to go off.... again. Iím going to find a solution to keep that sucker in there tight.
- AC Recharge - This isnít needed, per say, but when I had it vacuumed and filled before the compressor wasnít engaging due to one loose connector. Thereís still a tiny bit of air in the system, and a complete vacuum and re-fill should make it more efficient for next summer.

Assuming this all gets wrapped up then I can *finally* move on to interior and paint. Iím growing very tired of the two-tone body...

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 09-30-2017 at 08:04 PM..
Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #64
Xaul Zan
2.2L

Car: 01 rs coupe
Fav Mod: MLSD
Trader Rating: (9)

Which model koyo radiator is that? There's enough clearance while using wrx fans?
Old 09-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #65
Spec R
3.3L

Fav Mod: CA BAR sticker

FYI the compass computer is regular DIN size. I moved mine to below my radio above the ashtray. good luck with all the upcoming work
Spec R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #66
Razor7
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaul Zan View Post
Which model koyo radiator is that? There's enough clearance while using wrx fans?
I forget the exact number, but it's meant for a 2002 USDM WRX. I specifically wanted one without the reservoir cap as the rest of the cooling system was set to match that (not that it matters much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec R View Post
FYI the compass computer is regular DIN size. I moved mine to below my radio above the ashtray. good luck with all the upcoming work
Thanks! I plan on using a double din with backup camera and carplay support, so it's going to stay where it is. Kind of a nice reminder of the age of this thing. I'll be using (2) of the gauges in a gauge bezel surround, though I'm aware they don't fit all that well...

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 11-27-2017 at 10:48 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #67
Razor7
3.3L

I had planned to add this update once I get my next tune, but unfortunately that won't happen for an additional 3 weeks due to the holiday shutdown.

I spent most of October gathering parts to prep for install over my company's Thanksgiving shutdown.

- ST Suspensions XT HTA
- Cusco rear camber plates
- JDM STI pink lateral links
- JDM STI pink trailing arms
- JDM STI front end links
- JDM V5 carbon front strut tower bar
- Whiteline 22mm front sway bar
- Whiteline 24mm rear sway bar
- Whiteline rear HD mounts
- ACT Streetlight flywheel
- ACT HD clutch assembly
- Replacement SRS control module
- ABS Tone rings for front axles (JDM axles)

Everything was purchased new with a couple packages coming straight from Subaru Japan.

To prep for all the work on the horizon I started off the first day of my Thanksgiving shutdown with a fun project. An amuse bouche, if you will.

Here's 3" Morimoto stage IV retrofits with E55 shrouds.

The install on the rest of the parts went fine, except the EGT. I learned the hard way how the stock EGT sensor terminates. Another reducer to 1/8" NPT and a no-name amazon EGT sensor and I had something that works, kind of.

I'm kind of insane. See, I want the SMOG tech to plug into my OBDII port and see absolutely 0 codes killed from when I was passed for my BAR. To do this, EGT needs to stay installed and needs to report a value, even though it no longer serves any purpose and completely messed up my schedule. I'm having issues with the new one reporting any value other than 2084f, but at least there's a value.

I'm in need of a tune (JDM exhaust and Cobb EBCS pretty much require it) but otherwise everything's installed and I'm ready to drive. To save time, I'm going to use the string method this weekend to align all 4 corners, and re-install the stock boost control solenoid. I'll take it in for the tune in the new year.

-TC

Last edited by Razor7; 12-18-2017 at 03:38 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #68
FryphaX
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Registration!
Trader Rating: (4)

I've had good luck with this magnetic camber/caster gauge when doing suspension replacement/repairs. Typically I can get it within spec before it goes to the alignment shop. Worth the money in my opinion.

Amazon.com: Longacre 78260 Caster Camber Gauge: Automotive
Old 12-13-2017, 10:29 PM   #69
Razor7
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryphaX View Post
I've had good luck with this magnetic camber/caster gauge when doing suspension replacement/repairs. Typically I can get it within spec before it goes to the alignment shop. Worth the money in my opinion.

Amazon.com: Longacre 78260 Caster Camber Gauge: Automotive

I'm lucky, my roommate and his dad race spec E46s. They're going to help me out with this guy:

We've used the same technique to align my drift e30, so hopefully we'll have good luck.

-TC
Old 12-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #70
onefasazn
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

Great choice on the rear suspension links.

STi pink sphericals are the way to go
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote