Flat6forlife's '98 RS, EZ30 incoming - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Flat6forlife's '98 RS, EZ30 incoming

Old 06-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #81
Flat6ForLife
2.0L

Fav Mod: Free Speedlines
Trader Rating: (0)

I was driving to deliver some tools to my dad and it pegged the temp gauge. Initially, the overflow was filled to the top, but once it cooled off it was empty and covered in black residue. It smelled like exhaust. Flat towed it home and this is where it sits.

RIP head gasket.
Flat6ForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #82
Flat6ForLife
2.0L

Things have moved slowly since it went down, but parts have been acquired. So far I've collected the Kein engine mounts, a Mocal oil cooler and sandwich plate, an ACT clutch and pressure plate, new clutch slave and master, VDO oil pressure, oil temp and water temp gauges, and a custom made gauge pod that'll house those gauges and allow me to retain the top console pocket. I'm hoping to pick up the 3.0 Outback donor this Sunday. Once I tear into that for its wiring harness, the RS will be moved to a shop where I'll be doing the swap. Also going in will be the ST coils, STi control arms, Tribeca sway bar, and new pads and rotors. It'll feel like a whole new car.

In the meantime, I picked this up to drive around. 1992 Legacy Wagon with 68,500 miles for $700! Other than a sticky RR caliper, it's mechanically mint. Dings and scratches everywhere, but no rust anywhere. A bargain if you ask me.

Threw the snow wheels on it for the time being. I think it looks pretty good.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #83
Flat6ForLife
2.0L

Progress is being made. I picked up an Outback a few weeks ago and stripped it for what I needed. At the same time, I stripped the RS at home. My V-Limited cluster is off with Garrett (equinox92) getting recalibrated for the H6 tach signal, I've sent both harnesses to RSwiredMatt to be merged and the EZ30 ECU is being flashed to force all the readiness codes as well as delete the TCU and cat codes. The plan is to relocate the battery to the back of the car as well so that'll be worked on while the harness is being taken care of.

I've since removed the rest of the A/C stuff. I'm at the point of removing the 2.5, I just need to borrow a hoist.

Once the engine is out, the bay is going to get scrubbed clean. The holes on the passenger strut tower where the old EGR sensors bolted into are going to get welded up and ground smooth. I'm also going to move the fuel filter to where the battery originally sat. All of the rust will be taken care up and primed before being rattle canned RBP. That's the plan for now anyway. Painting the bay could change depending on what can be removed without a huge hassle.

I'm doing a service on the wagon this Saturday as well as a rear brake job to fix the sticky caliper. I'd like to use it to pick up the EZ30 for the RS, but im not sure it'll fit in the back.

Still pretty nervous about the swap but excited at the same time.