Flat6forlife's '98 RS, EZ30 incoming - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Flat6forlife's '98 RS, EZ30 incoming

Old 05-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
Flat6ForLife
2.0L

Fav Mod: Free Speedlines
Trader Rating: (0)

Small update:

Installed the shift knob and pedals over spring break, as well as doing an oil change and replaced the spark plugs for probably the first time in the cars history. Took these as well over spring break:

There are plenty more on my flickr, but those are my favorites.

Since then I've been up at school so i couldn't drive it or work on it at all. But I could buy things for it.... These arrived yesterday from the UK:

The back seat is the 60/40 split fold down, and there are no holes anywhere on all of the seats. very excited to put those in with the new carpet once i get home from school in a week. more updates then.
Flat6ForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #12
Flat6ForLife
2.0L

Well, its been a rough first week home.

On Friday, I went to put in my black Zealous carpet and my new V6 WRX seats. But, what should've been a really good day turned out to be a not so good one. I wouldn't have needed to change the carpet if it hadn't have ripped by the dead pedal and by the trunk release latch. I could see that there was some surface rust and hoped for the best. Turned out to be worst case scenario...

After grinding it down a little more the stud has almost completely fallen off and the hole got a little larger. With having no immediate access to a welder. I covered it in POR-15, and continued with the carpet install. Even the new carpet didn't fit great. So that blew up the day. The seats feel great though. I don't feel like I'm sitting on top of the car anymore.

Oh yeah... and my wing got ripped off.

I had gotten invited to a wedding by a very cute friend of mine and it was the first full day I was home from school, so I didn't have much time to prepare. With a Porsche concours to go to that morning I only had a few hours to get the car washed, get ready for, and get to the wedding. So, I dropped the car off at a car wash I've used before, went next door to get something at autozone, and when I came back the wing was gone. The brake light wire was hanging out of the trunk and all six studs were still in. No one came up to me and said what happened, and no one apologized. After going up to the woman at the register and explaining my situation, the wing mysteriously appeared out of the back after waiting for several minutes. Everything is being replaced and repaired by the owner, but he was a real **** about it. Even after showing him the parts diagram and press photos of the car from 1998, he still looked at me and said it was aftermarket.

Still, this whole thing could've been avoided had I just waited until the next day to wash my car.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #13
Flat6ForLife
2.0L

Its been a while since the last update.

Got the brakes installed. Thats it for the big stuff, mostly just maintenance stuff. Plugs, ignition coil, plug wires, fuel filter and head lights. On the more concerning side, once the trans is warmed up and i make sharp turns, there is a loud knocking coming from the front end. From what I've read it could either be an axle or center diff. I'm hoping its the former.

At this point, I don't really need to fix or modify anything more on the car. I would love more power, but im not really sure how I want to go about that. EJ205s seem a little boring, and there isn't much in the way of N/A tuning for me so that isn't a smart choice. Ideally I'd put a flat 6 in it, but the whole wiring situation has me a little nervous. I recently found a company called Subatronics that makes a CanBus emulator that seems to work well, but I don't think I'm financially stable enough to be a guinea pig for something like that just yet. Plus, shes still my DD and I need the reliability. For now, its just a whole lot of research.

Last edited by Flat6ForLife; 07-29-2016 at 03:22 PM..
Old 10-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #14
Flat6ForLife
2.0L

Well, after almost 12,000 miles, it finally left me stranded.

My roommate James showing his enthusiasm.

I went out on Thursday night with a few of my friends to go get dinner, and while sitting at a stop light, I started to smell coolant. Once we parked,I looked under the car to see the drivers side of the header covered in dried coolant. When I came out, there was a huge puddle on the ground, so I bought some water, filled it up and drove the mile or two I was away back to my dorm.

Friday morning rolls around and I'm planning on driving from college in Albany back home to long island. There was no puddle under the car and there was the same amount of water in it as the night before. I thought I was good. I was wrong.

I hop onto I-87 and within minutes the coolant gauge was pegged. I shut it off and coasted into one of those text stops. In talking with my dad he and I diagnosed it to either a bad water pump or thermostat. I got it towed to the nearest stealership and being that it was still early in the day, had them get it in. The tech changed the thermostat, THEN decided to pressure test it and find the pump was bad as well, essentially wasting an hour. In total it took them nearly four hours to diagnose the car and change the water bump and thermostat. The service writer was very nice and did take quite a bit off of the bill. Regardless, it was still ridiculously expensive. Thankfully, as expected, the car ran great. But there was a squeaking noise from one of the belts.

After checking it out this morning, I found this...

HE COULDN'T EVEN PUT THE BELT ON CORRECTLY.
Goldstein Subaru is an absolute joke.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #15
Flat6ForLife
2.0L

Just picked these up. Hopefully have them on around Thanksgiving.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #16
240sxApu
1.8L

Diggin the build so far, can you tell me more about those seats?
I'm dying for some fold down seats

Also, did you not put a strut boot/bump stop on your struts?
They wont last too long if dirt and stuff gets on them
240sxApu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #17
Flat6ForLife
2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxApu View Post
Diggin the build so far, can you tell me more about those seats?
I'm dying for some fold down seats

Also, did you not put a strut boot/bump stop on your struts?
They wont last too long if dirt and stuff gets on them
They are out of a car from the UK Turbo 2000. Just a regular UK spec WRX if I'm not mistaken. Not sure which trim specifically. I got them from a guy through Facebook. He's on the GC8 owners page and has seats up fairly regularly. His name is Peter Bell.

As far as the struts go, I'm running bump stops, but no dust boots. They wouldn't clear the ground control set up. I've had them on for probably close to 10k miles and haven't had an issue with them so far. Not too worried about them really.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #18
WhiteScooby
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Baja blast n my cupholder
Trader Rating: (7)

Badass that your grandpa has a body shop. My radiator support needs some love too
Old 11-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #19
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

98RS! thats what i started out with too.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #20
Flat6ForLife
2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteScooby View Post
Badass that your grandpa has a body shop. My radiator support needs some love too
Haha thanks, the shop definitely comes in handy. Sweet wagon btw.

Last edited by Flat6ForLife; 11-15-2016 at 04:36 PM..