Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

2001 2.5RSti revival Thread

34K views 127 replies 16 participants last post by  bue car 
#1 · (Edited)
For a few months my gf and I have been contemplating on buying a new vehicle for her or to buy used and build one. She daily drives a 05 e46 M3 6spd now and owns a 14 Ducati Monster 696. While on vacation in Washington State I brought up the RS and started searching after she said if she liked it we would buy one. The car was bought Sunday sept 27 and on a truck to be shipped to texas that monday.

The previous owner did not take care of it for whatever reason. He is on here but i'm the new owner now so just opening a new chapter for this car.

------------------------ TABLE OF CONTENTS ------------------------

ENGINE
-07 sti EJ257
-tD05 turbo
-6 speed Manual transmission
-Cx Racing GC8 FMIC
-Blitz nur spec exhaust
-JDM CF STI Front Strut Tie Bar

-KS Tech Subaru Air Pump Valve Block-Off Plate Set - (ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE FITMENT)
-Perrin Air Oil Separator Kit (Red)
-Agency Power Short Ram Intake Kit (Red)
-Iridium LFR7AIX
-07 SUBARU STI AC A/C AIR CONDITIONING LINES
-07 Subaru STi A/C condenser
-Tial Q bov (red)
-Good Ridge Stainless steel brake line kit F&R
-Good Ridge Stainess steel clutch line
-IAPerformance Protune

EXTERIOR
-93-01 Impreza UR Rally Mud flap Grey Logo
-WORK Emotion D9R 18x9.5 +23 in gloss black
-Depo headlights
-280z Fender flares
-DDM HID Kit, 55W, 6000K
-Genuine OEM Subaru 1998-2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Emblem
-Genuine OEM Subaru 1998-2001 Subaru Impreza awd Emblem
-Genuine OEM Subaru 1998-2001 Subaru Impreza grill Emblem
-Stock gc8 hood scoop block plate
-Prodrive P1 spoiler (authentic)
-JDM Grill

SUSPENSION
-BC coilovers
-2007 Full Sti Brembo BBK Kit
-2007 Sti 5x114.3 hub swap
-Whiteline Subframe Locking bolts KSB750

ELECTRONICS

-Innovate Motorsports SCG-1 Solenoid Boost Controller & Wideband O2 AFR Gauge Kit
-Defi-Link ADVANCE Control Unit
-Defi-Link Meter ADVANCE CR 60mm Exhaust Temperature Meter
-Defi-Link Meter ADVANCE CR 60mm Oil Pressure Meter
-COBB AP V3
- 2007 SUBARU STI ABS BRAKE PUMP MODULE ASSY EJ257

INTERIOR
-v6 Sti seats
-Full 07 sti dash setup
-Gauge cluster lens 85075fe000-Gauge cluster needles
-iWire GC to GD Radiator Adapter Shroud
-iWire Drive by Wire Throttle Pedal Adapter Bracket
-07 sti rear body harness
-07 sti rear defroster power box
-07 sti abs sensors

REMOVED AND REPLACED

-v5 2.5rs Japanese KGS replica spoiler
-OEM 2.5RS Spoiler
-Seibon RB5 Replica spoiler
-Knock off wheels
-Oem Version 6 Grille
-Yellow tint fogs
-No name catch can
-No name FMIC kit
-Treadstone FMIC
-COBB AP V2
-Avid 01 wheels
-Oem Version 6 Grille
-AEM UEGO gauge afr gauge (broken)

Leaving the previous owners house

Gf enjoying her new car in Washington State.

Previous owner tied the front lip up with headphone cable. He broke it or some bs. It was trash so I threw it away before it was put on the transport truck picked up the car

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
PROBLEMS
BLUE means it has been taken care of

-DCCD not wired in
-ABS not wired in and wrong ABS pump (07 sti pump swapped)
-I/C spray cel light
-Air pump CEL codes (air pump not properly removed)
-Terrible alignment
-Car needs to be raised
-Front suspension issues
-Fenders butchered (rear passenger not rolled but the other 3 were rolled by someone with their eyes closed)
-A/C not plumbed, missing everything
-Firewall needs to be cut for A/C lines
-Catch can in the car but not actually attached (filter is captivated, line disconnected and loose in the bay)
-Front bumper, rear bumper, lower body skirts are either misaligned missing hardware or half ass zip tied
-Passenger seat not fully bolted down (bolts in center console)
-Lower portion of passenger seat moving when it shouldn't
-Stereo sub power wire corroded and not pushed into the fuse all the way.
-passenger inner fender wiring harness ruined by the car being lowered and not properly tucking the harness.
-Front lip held on by headphone cord and a zip tie (still loose, threw away the lip because of damage)
-Rear spoiler 3rd brake light loose as ****, not wired in properly so does not light up
-Trunk plastics not secured, piece loose in trunk
-All wheels curb have curb rash
-Door cards are disgusting dirty
-Carpet has god knows what on it (needs to be replaced)
-Looks like a coke exploded in the car and only hit the Headliner (might be coke or mold)
-07 Sti dash has gap (needs to be trimmed and fitted correctly)
-Passenger window regulator eventually will need to be replaced
-All plasti dip needs removal (**** is everywhere)
-Fog lights do not work apparently
-passenger light harness chopped up
-Passenger headlight does not work
-Tial flange needs to be welded on IC piping

TO BE CONTINUED 10/3/15
UPDATED 10/10/15
UPDATED 10/17/15

#11 ·
PROBLEMS
-DCCD not wired in
-ABS not wired in and wrong ABS pump
-I/C spray cel light
-Air pump CEL codes (air pump not properly removed)
-Terrible alignment
-Front suspension issues
-Fenders butchered (rear passenger not rolled but the other 3 were rolled by someone with their eyes closed)
-A/C not plumbed, missing lines
-Firewall needs to be cut for A/C lines
-Catch can in the car but not actually attached (filter is captivated, line disconnected and loose in the bay)
-Front bumper, rear bumper, lower body skirts are either misaligned missing hardware or half ass zip tied
-Passenger seat not fully bolted down (bolts in center console)
-Lower portion of passenger seat moving when it shouldn't
-Stereo sub power wire corroded and not pushed into the fuse all the way.
-passenger inner fender wiring harness ruined by the car being lowered and not properly tucking the harness.
-Front lip held on by headphone cord and a zip tie (still loose, threw away the lip because of damage)
-Rear spoiler 3rd brake light loose as ****, not wired in properly so does not light up
-Trunk plastics not secured, piece loose in trunk
-All wheels curb have curb rash
-Door cards are disgusting dirty
-Carpet has god knows what on it (needs to be replaced)
-Looks like a coke exploded in the car and only hit the Headliner (might be coke or mold)
-07 Sti dash has gap (needs to be trimmed and fitted correctly)
-Passenger window regulator eventually will need to be replaced
-All plasti dip needs removal (**** is everywhere)
-Fog lights do not work apparently
TO BE CONTINUED 10/3/15
This should keep you busy for a while... Looks like fun

Hope you got a sweet deal!

#15 ·
Holy crap, the previous owner of this car lived literally 2 minutes from my house! I loved seeing his car around, but I can attest to it being poorly taken care of and in pretty bad shape cosmetically. I'm a bit sad that I won't see it in person anymore, but I'm so glad to see it in proper hands!

#17 · (Edited)
How my long day started

First thing I removed was the catch can that wasn’t hooked up and only had one port. The filter on top looked like it has seen better days. I have a perrin setup waiting to go in.

I removed the IC piping for better access to the spark plugs and I found oil and metal shavings in the FMIC. Previous owner drilled two holes on top of the intercooler to add a bracket for the bumper since he decided to ditch the crash beam all together. The holes were probably leaking. I'm assuming the stock turbo blew and he replaced it explaining the oil. Poured water with degreaser into the FMIC and decided to just replace it and clean up the IC piping. Piping had no debris so i'm pretty sure all the oil in the FMIC saved the motor.

What was in the FMIC

Previous owner wrapped the IC piping but didn't wrap the downpipe.

After removing the front bumper which was literally held up by 2 bolts and a clip thing that served no purpose. The front bumper sagged a lot and this just explains it all.

07 STI ABS SWAP

The 07 STI pump fit after about an hour of adjusting the lines and cutting the bracket to fit better in the bay. The old pump had nothing to hold it down lol

BEFORE

WIRING
After getting the front bumper off I found some garbage handy work that will be address tomm morning.

Now to figure out where in the hell I can get a replacement FMIC.

-Replaced Spark plugs with a step colder
-Replaced oil
- Swap ABS pump to a 07 STi abs pump
- Rewired new HID kit
- Cleaned area

#18 ·
Long day

First thing I removed was the catch can that wasn’t hooked up and only had one port. The filter on top looked like it has seen better days. I have a perrin setup waiting to go in.

I removed the IC piping for better access to the spark plugs and I found oil and metal shavings in the FMIC. Previous owner drilled two holes on top of the intercooler to add a bracket for the bumper since he decided to ditch the crash beam all together. The holes were probably leaking. I'm assuming the stock turbo blew and he replaced it explaining the oil. Poured water with degreaser into the FMIC and decided to just replace it and clean up the IC piping. Piping had no debris so i'm pretty sure all the oil in the FMIC saved the motor.

What was in the FMIC

Previous owner wrapped the IC piping but didn't wrap the downpipe.

After removing the front bumper which was literally held up by 2 bolts and a clip thing that served no purpose. The front bumper sagged a lot and this just explains it all.

07 STI ABS SWAP

The 07 STI pump fit after about an hour of adjusting the lines and cutting the bracket to fit better in the bay. The old pump had nothing to hold it down lol

BEFORE

WIRING
After getting the front bumper off I found some garbage handy work that will be address tomm morning.

Now to figure out where in the hell I can get a replacement FMIC.

-Replaced Spark plugs with a step colder
-Replaced oil
- Swap ABS pump to a 07 STi abs pump
- Rewired new HID kit
- Cleaned area
I love this thread.

#21 · (Edited)
After picture from yesterday so mind the hid and IC laying there. I have a treadstone trx7 intercooler on the way to replace the internally damaged IC that camon the car. Nothing is in it's final position.

Lines need to be adjusted a little more to look uniform and drill the body for mounting point. Since the old pump was just loose in the bay it rubbed the paint off in multiple points.

-Previous owner did not bolt the power steering reservoir down either and is severely low on fluid. Debating on buying a new reservoir or aftermarket.

-Spark plugs in poor condition.

#22 · (Edited)
Part one of A/C installation and dash adjustment
Before dash gap

Air filter that was in the core

Pulling everything behind the dash and cutting the firewall for the a/c lines took about 6 hours because of the sloppy wiring. The harness wasn't butchered surprisingly but nothing was zip tied or organised.

Cluster lens repair

#26 ·
UPDATE

-Intercooler installed
-Perrin intake installed
-ABS installed
-Cleaned maf

I'm having issues with the car staying on at the moment. Car starts but any type of idle adjustment is sends the car into a struggle to stay on. It either will stumble and adjust or die. Revving it will cause the car to die. PS bump will cause the car to stumble, readjust and idle a little lower than normal but stable. The car also developed a mis-fire which is probably from the car running like **** so ''m optimistic it's just a side-effect.
I ordered a new maf since after I cleaned it, the situation has worsened. I ordered a new o2 sensor also since i'm basically replacing everything at this point. I'll post a detailed update tomm also.

#31 ·
UPDATE

I had the DP welded up this morning and Tial bov was sticking open. took it apart and used white lithium grease to free it up and now its too smooth and staying open at idle lol

Painting the DP with high temp paint tonight and should have a video by the afternoon.

#32 · (Edited)
Tial BOV RESOLVED

Finally fixed the problem. The tial bov yellow 11 psi spring was just too soft and was not working properly. The car would cold start and idle fine but after you bumped the gas peddle or turned the steering wheel when the car was warmed up. The BOV would open and shut repeatedly causing the idle to be erratic until it the car died. I added 2 of these washers and 90% of the idle issue went away. I am adding another and it should fix it make the spring stiff enough.

PROBLEM
-Tial bov would release pressure late and close late causing turbo surge and allowing unmetered air in.
-Valve was opening and closing erratic.
-Valve sticking open
-Hesitation because BOV was staying open while driving.
-Misfire because of unmetered air.

SOLUTION
-WD40 brand white lithium grease- spray the shaft, allow it to dry and wipe everything you sprayed with a towel. Needs minimal amount of lubrication.

Washers from lowes
-With three of these washers and a yellow 11psi spring
-1.98mm thick each

I hope this helps anyone in the future since I found minimal amount of information on how to fix this.

#34 · (Edited)
IA Performance protune and mud behind mud flaps???

FIRST STAGES OF TUNING
Finally have the car up and running reliably where my gf could drive it to work. Dropping off her m3 and pick up the RS to start the protune datalog for ia Performance.

NEW RADIATOR
In the middle of data logs I noticed the smell of antifreeze. Went home and the inlet was cracked. Picked up a replacement with new upper and lower hoses.

It's been about a month of not driving it we decided to pull the supra out and go to a local car meet.

Later on after we got home, I pulled both cars into the garage and started pulling off the old mud flaps on the RS. I guess washington wanted to come to texas. Pretty irritated so I called it a night. I'm going to take the wheel off and pressure wash it in the in the morning. The upper portion of the fender liner has seen better days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.