Kodama - Hail's 99 OBS - JDM V7 STi Swap - Page 22 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Kodama - Hail's 99 OBS - JDM V7 STi Swap

Old 10-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #211
hail2theTheif
3.3L

Fav Mod: all 0 it
Trader Rating: (3)

Whelp. The wagon is officially gone. Replaced by a super unpractical and awesome 2013 Audi TTRS. Only driven it a tiny bit so far due to just getting back into town from a trip this morning. BUT, it's a real riot and I've only used it like a grandma. The sound it makes is intoxicating.

hail2theTheif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #212
Spec R
3.3L

Fav Mod: CA BAR sticker
Trader Rating: (5)

YES!!!!!!!! that 5 cyl TTRS sound is amazing.

i was kind of hoping to see a venture outside of the subaru brand.
Spec R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #213
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

not sure i like the car wrapped around it, but OMG!!! the TURBO 5cyl is SEX to the ears!!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #214
hail2theTheif
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec R View Post
YES!!!!!!!! that 5 cyl TTRS sound is amazing.

i was kind of hoping to see a venture outside of the subaru brand.
It's extremely hard to do that these days with the options out there and my criteria (which I bended a little bit for this). But I'm happy to welcome some new experiences!

It came with some pretty nice Blizzacks that I'll try at least once in the winter. Have to see if I can make it work haha. My guess is ground clearance will be the only issue as plenty of Haldex Quattro cars make it to the mountain no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
not sure i like the car wrapped around it, but OMG!!! the TURBO 5cyl is SEX to the ears!!
Hahahaha, yeah it's definitely a mixed bag for love. The bulbousness of the front end is still going to take some time to grow on me BUT the rear 3/4 view is just a sight that never seems to get old.

Purely based on meaningless surface level thinking.....I keep telling myself it's the closest thing to a modern day ethos of the 22B being that it's an AWD turbocharged coupe hahaha. Which is some ways is true, especially the rally pedigree the 5cyl engine has. Body style...not so much.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #215
hail2theTheif
3.3L

Quick quick quick first items I can compare to the old wagon:

1) Shifter feel - The STi 6-speed with Cobb short shifter and all fresh poly bushings has a much better feel than the standard setup in the TTRS. The TTRS shifter has a nice notchyness when selecting gears but the in-between areas are vague and sloppy compared to the crisp shift throughout in the old swap. BUT to be fair, I'm comparing a fully stock setup to a fully "fixed" setup. From what I have found, shifter bushings and the cabling are a must upgrade in the TTRS to gain "feel" back.

2) Steering feel - The wagon "wins" here too in some regards but I think part of it is just getting used to a different style of driving. The wagon had a heavy steering feel at all times due to the widened front track (more caster), '15 STi rack, and being a hydraulic system. The TTRS in normal mode is controlled to be "easy" which seems nice-ish if you like making u-turns in parking lots all the time, but not very inspiring at low speeds.

However, when you put the car in Sport, the steering stiffens up and feedback jumps up a ton. This brings it back to how the Subaru felt minus a bit of weight. At speeds the TTRS whoops the wagon in control and precision and rightly so, it should. Also, the ratio feels about the same if we are talking about "dartyness" when initiating a turn/maneuver. Both crisp and go where you point them. The TTRS doesn't have the delayed weight transfer though like the wagon did haha.

3) Steering wheel - The DAMD wheel had a softer touch, smaller diameter, and about double the thickness of the TTRS wheel. Which in turn makes it the more enjoyable wheel. This comes back down similar to point #1 though. An aftermarket expensive replacement vs. stock guise. The fact that the wheel in the TTRS is stock and as awesome as it is puts it ahead in my view. It's a really nice wheel and the only thing I would really change about it is the diameter.

4) Motor + power - There will never be a good comparison to the fun, dramatic feeling an EJ207 gives. The delivery of that motor was a finely crafted story with a plot you never get tired of. The TTRS......it's written more like a space epic. Wild beyond your dreams, expansive, punchy, dramatic, and has a Hans Zimmer score to go along with it. There is just no comparison as it's in another league. So far from what I've experienced, it's a phenomenal motor.

I'll post more comparisons and general impressions as I become more acquainted that's for sure.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #216
WhiteScooby
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Baja blast n my cupholder
Trader Rating: (7)

Can't fit a 65 inch tv in the back though.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #217
hail2theTheif
3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteScooby View Post
Can't fit a 65 inch tv in the back though.
Hahahaha. This is very true. My gaming/movie TV will be much harder to move now. Son of a *****

Old 10-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #218
WhiteScooby
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Baja blast n my cupholder
Trader Rating: (7)

You can borrow my wagon if I ever get it tuned.