Up next were the heads. I didn't anticipate doing all the work that I did prior to starting the rebuild. The original plan was to clean up the valve heads and replace the guide seals. Mild port job, valve/seat lap, oil drain-back ports smoothed, measure and re-shim every valve were eventually added to the list.
camshafts and some buckets and shims removed
all the buckets and shims gone
springs, retainers, keepers and valves gone. Still need to replace guide seals.
Organization is key. Please excuse the orientation; photobucket is retarded. I rotated in the pic in photobucket but since its retarded, it still isn't orientated correctly.
new guide seals from 02-05 USDM WRX gasket kit vs old, original v5 STi seals
Everybody loves port work. This is far from spectacular but anything is better than stock; and stock EJ207 ports are pretty big
The pictures below aren't what the final result actually looks like. Unfortunately, my photo-documentation skills need some refining.
gasket matched. left vs right (stock)
cleaned up the casting marks and worked the long radius (I think that's what its called).
I did get a little more wild than what's shown below
Didn't get "after" pics but I cleaned up this nastiness
time to clean up them valve seats
before and after cleaning up the valves
When I was lapping the valves, I figured the camlobe to bucket clearance would tighten a little but still be within spec. WRONG. Guess I got a little aggressive. Had to order some new shims straight from Japan; what a PITA. Luckily, I was able to reuse some of the existing shims.