Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack

Old 05-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #31
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Ricer Red parts for +25KW
Trader Rating: (0)

I feel like you should be able to get your own setup going for half that kit, while only using basic tools to fit everything. Ive used radiators and such from this place with no issues, CXRacing?
nhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #32
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Ricer Red parts for +25KW

nhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #33
-mav-
2.2L

Yes, that's the core I was thinking of. And that's the one which made me thinking about v3-v4 manifold swap because this core will not fit with EJ20G manifold. Im 99% sure ((
-mav- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:40 AM   #34
-mav-
2.2L

Every time I saw bandoned car journals I was thinking like "WHY YOU NOT WORKING ON YOUR CAR?!!!" Well, turned out that it's not that easy. My day job is as far from working on cars as it may be and this summer in Cyprus is really turned out to be too hot to work outside on weekends.
Also not helping progress with the car is that I bought myself a motorcycle Not sayint that it stole much time from the project since it was too hot to work on it but I spent couple of saturdays riding in the mountains

Car is standing without wheels and brakes for couple of months now and serves as really good anchor for the bike. Chaining bike to the towing hook lets me sleep much better becasue my friend's R6 was stolen recently from his house

Lazyness as it is:
Old 08-18-2015, 04:18 AM   #35
SIMER
2.2L Turbo

Fav Mod: Stroked CDB + EJ207 heads
Trader Rating: (25)

great journal! get back to working on that WRX
Old 08-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #36
-mav-
2.2L

Thanks! I'm trying
So, yesterday I got from work very excited to do something on the car. Finally. Probably had too much coffee. Anyway, I opened a hood and started thinking what to do.
Itís really hard to decide where to start. During quite long period without updates in my journal I managed to remove aircon compressor, so now it was a mess and after couple of month I hardly could remember where did I put my toolsÖ

BTW, that's WTA intercooler CORE mock-up from carton. Without endtanks.. V2 maniford is really not cool for top mount options...
Also my new tyres arrived - same Dunlop DZ03G as I had before, but in 235/45 R17. Size is a bit odd for GC8, but I have other problems to solve before it will become top priority.

So, quick update on my TO DO list:

Brakes.
Delete ABS, install brembos. Simple. More below.

Engine. (electronics)
V2=>V4 conversion. Should be pretty simple, but Iím a bit nervous about it. patch harness arrived, so I hope that major harness splicing will be done there, keeping it as clean as possible. Cmon, who am I fooling? it will be a mess, for sure...

Engine (mechanical)
Strongly tied with v4 ECU swap. Engine has loud valvetrain noise, leaky valve covers and cracks in almost any rubber hose on it. Idea was to keep it on budget, so I didnít wanted to go deep in it planning to get as much as I could from stock unit. But common sense suggests some preventive maintenance. I have all the parts to do valve cover job and might try to adjust the valves. Tricky part is that it might be rare V2 STi engine with unique shim under bucket design and shims might be hard to find.. Otherwise itís HLA and they are just noisyÖ
Also on the list - v4 manifold swap (if necessary), 440 injectors, parallel fuel rails mod+AEM fuel pressure regulator, VF28 turbo. I have all the parts, just need to put it all together.

WTA Intercooler
Decide on base kit
get it
install it
If I get full v4 manifold conversion I might use spare v4 intercooler I have as tempo solution.

Misc - finishing touch
Walbro fuel pump,
Complete AC delete
Audio delete/Central console with all the stuff that I need (datalogger, WTA IC controller, remote brake bias adjustment)
Wheels/tyres issues
Mapping

Since car is currently is on jackstands without wheels and brakes, I decided to finish with the brakes first.

I was trying to decide where to put brake bias valve and which front lines I might use.

Ended up with idea to put it where ABS unit is located. Since iím not 100% sure about engine configuration and which intake will be used on the engine, this spot looks like the only place which might not cause fitment issues in the future with both intake components.

Previously I was stuck because some bolts were missing to mount front calipers and some flares were stuck on ABS unit. Luckily hot weather and soaking two months in wd40 did helped and ABS unit is out!

Now I need to clean up working space for fabricating brake lines, the plan is to have both front lines made from scratch and re-use only rears.
Also I have universal Allstar aluminium brake disc cooling ducts. Theyíre not really fitting great on the hubs from the first look, but Iíll try to figure it out...
I hope next update will be this year
Old 08-26-2015, 12:48 AM   #37
-mav-
2.2L

Some parts popped up on local marketplace. I'm interested in exhaust manifold, but I don't think it's any better than stock.. What do you think? Any good?

Ad says "For sale : stainless steel exaust,down pipe ,up pipe Twister, carbon rear lights , adjustable rear wing spoiler ( 4 ways) , unequal length manifold, intercooler,alloy rims,full glas front lights and many more. " Looks like somebody is parting up his project.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #38
bretts05
2.5L

Car: '06 Legacy GT spec.B
Fav Mod: Emissions test delete
Trader Rating: (17)

^ I wouldn't put any of that stuff on the car, especially the exterior bits. You guys are lucky because your cars come stock with the best exterior styling. Here in the US we have to buy all the crap to make the cars look the way they're supposed to look.

I love your type-R. Such an awesome looking car and a great setup. Are there any updates?
bretts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:17 AM   #39
-mav-
2.2L

Thanks! My Type-R is now my daily driver since I gave my Forester to a friend while his car is being repaired. It really reminds me what a great car it is but also to-do list on it is growing... Some strange clicking noise in suspension, loud transmission whine and scratches/paint chips all over.. Some interior parts are showing their age and gauges lighitng started not turning on sometimes, probably relay is dying...
Car almost has 150k kms on odo... And I keep noticing it in every spot I look at
After all money and time spend on it it needs basically full resroration That's very discouraging.
Anyway, I managed to spend couple of hours on weekend working on car... Most of it was wasted searching for tools and stuff, but I managed to wash the car, get all brake parts together and mock-up some of the components under the bonnet.

Here how brake bias walve will probably be installed:

Unfortunately it will not clear V2 intake, so no way back
Old 10-13-2015, 04:42 AM   #40
-mav-
2.2L

2015 season is over, so I'm not in hurry now
The fastest car in my class was still ZR1 with crazy 1:09.3, but second fastes as of the end of the season is.. GC8!
This one:

Haven't seen the car in person this year but I heard it runs GDB internals and 255 R17 Hankooks Z221...
Also some rather big turbo setup is spoted under the bonnet:

these guys have a team running bunch of GC and GD cars and as I can see this car got some parts from their badass green hillclimp coupe car... Probably they used not only exterior and aero parts

Well... Taking into account my current progress, making any estimations on my future lap time will be ridiculous, but I would really like to get into 1:10.xx, which is light years away from 1:15 in opening event this year.

My plans are the same. Get brembo brakes and adjustable bias valve in, abs, stereo and aircon out. Install water-to-air intercooler setup, wire in V4 ESL ecu and datalogging, get VF28 turbo in instead of td04 and kinda tune it, put 235/45 R17 dunlops on and adjust suspension. That's all for now.

Working under the bonnet I found that almost any vac hose under the bonet become cracked, so probably I'm gonna need kind of "gaskets and stuff" maintenance since oil is all over the place from valve cover gaskets...

Doing this I will also try to measure valve clearence (because it' quite noisy) and I need your advice on how can I tell from looking under the valve covers if engine has HLA setup or this is early STi shim under bucket valvetrain?

Last edited by -mav-; 10-13-2015 at 04:53 AM..