Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack - Page 6 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack

Old 02-29-2016, 01:48 AM   #51
-mav-
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

This weekend I worked on engine to prepare order for engine parts.
Engine suffered from a old power steering fluid leak, so I decided to clean it and probably reallocate PS tank somewhere. Or at least replace some seals to stop the leakÖ
Also crankcase vent hoses become hard as plastic and all connections were leaky and dirty.
Before:

As the result I washed it three or four times every time removing more and more bits that were not allowing to clean it better.. Many cans of engine cleaner later, kind of semi-finished result:

later I removed timing bits and coolant tubes over cyl 2 ad 4 and cleaned it once again

Timing belt was off on all cams except for RH intake (1 and 3). Hereís pic of LH cams with crank marks alligned:

I wonder if this could be a cause of poor performance comparing to my other car.
most of the pulleys are toast, so gonna replace them and timing belt
Initially It wasnít planned but I think itís worth it. Oil pressure was solid and seal looks clean, so pump will stay on..
Water pumpÖ Probably good idea to replace it because that looks scary:

Any idea is there a way to clean the block inside? I rinsed it with water, but maybe thereís some trick or solution for this specific job?
Another surprise was the turbo. While removing I found it hard to remove one nut right under the center section, so I decided to take the turbo out from hot housing to reach it. Result:

I didnít broke it, it just fell apart.. crack is quite old and looks like it wasnít leaking. Anyway, I didnít planned to use it. Despite this turbo looks fine btw, no play or leaksÖ

By the way, is there a flex section in stock uppipe? Turbo mount flange is kind of loose on mine and it feels like joint is somewhere under the heat shield, canít see. Wonder if it leaks..
Also question, does it makes sense in keeping stock heat shields? Mine are kind of reusable but they weight a lot.. I wonder if wrap works better or not?

Finally after final stage of cleaning I managed to pull out valve cover from LH side (2+4).
Itís for sure STi, not HLA heads.

Shims are 9.65 mm (? my caliper is crap) diameter with 6mm hole on the other side and have numbers on them written by hand.

Buckets are 30 mm diameter. This one seems to have worst wear although sits a bit tighter than others.

Are these (buckets+shims) similar to V3-4 and later bits? because I never seen them but by part numbers V1-2 STi shim setup looks different and unique although similar by design.
Cam journals are fine for me, which sounds funny because I never did anything like this before
I just never heard of anyone doing any polish/repair stuff on these, so I will just try to put it back together as clean as possible to not to cause more damage.
Exhaust cam, worst bearing:

respective cam journal

Intake cam caps, cam looks mint.

Still need to measure the other head and order correct shims plus some other stuff to put it together.
Now, questions:
Before final assembly would it be good idea to turn engine on stand till head will face downwards and spray it with some intake cleaner stuff? I will lube everything with fresh oil during assembly anyway and I wanted to get rid of any dust or stuff that may got there since I have to work outsideÖ It wasnít windy or anything yesterday and itís not F1 engine but itís not the best condition to work on engine and I donít want to harm it in any way...
There was some silicone inside including in some threadsÖ I will try to do this job better when I will put it together. Is there a simple way to clean old silicone out of threads?
Also if anyone has advice on valvetrain setup or coolant passages cleaning on assembled engine tricks or exhaust stuff that I questioned about, please share!
Thanks for reading!
-mav- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #52
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier

nice work. the shims you need to measure the inside were it rest on valve. They are rarely out of spec so just put them back exactly where you got them

you heads look like v2 sti heads. v3 and v4 are the ej20k engines with cloverleaf chambers, the valve buckets are different diamteres. the early wrx heads wre HLA lifters, were yours are shim under buckets sti heads. O dont see any closed deck casting marks on block, usually v2 sti's were closed deck

looking again i think i do see the casting. Thats a closed deck v2 sti engine. not sure if you knew that or not

Last edited by TerryJr; 02-29-2016 at 09:44 AM..
TerryJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:08 AM   #53
-mav-
2.2L

Yes, I knew that it might be STi engine with closed deck block. But now it's finally confirmed.
I can't measure buckets since i don't have proper tools like micrometer. I have only basic cheap caliper which does the job for most of the time. So I'll trust the numbers for for now, but when I'll do second head I'll pull some buckets and give them to my mechanic to check and confirm sizing.
The clearances measured on LH head are too tight, around .17-.20 mm for intake valves and around .22-.28 for exhaust. The specs if I'm not mistaken are 0.25/0.35.
This is kind of strange because valvetrain was a bit noisy so I was expecting to see clearances above the nominal. Although as valve seats wear out clearances should decrease, so results that I got look realistic.
Will check second head and decide.. Maybe switch some of the shims to even the clearances a bit, or order some new ones.

Last edited by -mav-; 03-01-2016 at 02:10 AM..
Old 03-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #54
-mav-
2.2L

So, I got second head measured this morning before work and most of valves seem to be tighter than specs which is probably normal considering normal wear for 20-year-old engine

Since Subaru was kind enough giving nice description for shims in parts catalog that included shim "number" and thickness, I ended up with spreadsheet with calculations of required shims:

I initially set up "target" clearences to 25/35 and to get those calculations suggested me to get 8 new shims... I adjusted my target to .21/.33 as you can see in the table and this got me to the option to get only 6 new shims:

Looks fine for me Now I need to figure out other parts I might need to put engine back together and make an order.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:10 AM   #55
TerryJr
Experimenter

nice gotta love when you can move them around and only need a few extra. and that those sti engines were assembled by hand with hand written numbers on the shims.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #56
-mav-
2.2L

yes, they were unique )
One of the buckets was labeled withs some kind of permanent marker, that's number 35 on the bottom one:
Old 03-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #57
-mav-
2.2L

Ok, it turned out nearly impossible to order V2 STi shims by OEM part numbers.
Well, it may be possible but list prices are 50 USD and more. I never tried ordering them.
Instead I found the way to get them from independent manufacturers. These shims are kind of widely used in different applications and there are companies that can make them in sizes you need. Also I found that correct specs for this engine are not 0.25/0.35 but 0.2/0.25 (in/ex). This was much closer to what I had in the engine so in the end I needed only three new shims. Now I think that it would probably be a good idea to replace all shims so they would be from one manufacturer, same design (in case there will be any slight differences).
I ended up ordering three missing shim sets in two different places, I'll decide when I receive my orders.
Tried to strip old paint from the manifold and paint it over the weekend but weather messed it up again

by the way, 1st Time attack event of this season was held this weekend. Best time in my category was 1:11.3x, which is 1.4 seconds below my PB in my Type R and some 4-5 second less than my PB in this specific car. Quite a challenge...
Old 03-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #58
TerryJr
Experimenter

probably the same, like you said, they shims are all made by a couple diffent companys. Pretty sure the hole buckets in my 96 are the exact same buckets in a Miata. I used the same video to clean my HLAs and they were identical
Old 03-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #59
-mav-
2.2L

It seems that some versions of SR20 also had similar shims..
Anyway, photos from opening event arrived... I don't know why one needs to upload all the photos, but... here they are: Time Attack Championship by EKO -

First event traditionally is not the most attendable, some cars are not ready yet... I heard that track was dusty and there were less grip than usual. But in any case there were couple of nice and rare cars there. Like, I personally was surprised to see Baur E30 in classic cars. Rare one by all standards.
Also I'm pretty sure I used to testdrive that specific blue RX7. It's seen better days but engine was pulling great. love the looks of those cars...

Just small memo for myself:
TA1-2016
Entrants: http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/z...95625445_n.png

Times: Event results - details - MYLAPS Sports Timing

Last edited by -mav-; 03-15-2016 at 04:01 PM..
Old 03-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #60
TerryJr
Experimenter

its nice you can keep busy on that island any how. I like learning about other parts of the world and its cultures.

Last edited by TerryJr; 03-15-2016 at 04:49 PM..
TerryJr is offline   Reply With Quote