Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack

Old 04-02-2015, 01:01 AM   #21
-mav-
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGhost2.5 View Post
Ds
?

Btw, It seems that I have STi-Ra EJ20G version. It has 5th injector on top. I always thought that those HLAs are noisy... Now reading more about EJ20G versions it seems that there may be no HLA in my engine. Great.
Will try to get to ECU today.
-mav- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #22
-mav-
2.2L

Bought DBA drilled/slotted rotors, final component for Brebmo swap.
In total, car value incresed by 60% due to this brakes mod ))

Last edited by -mav-; 04-02-2015 at 08:30 AM..
Old 04-02-2015, 11:45 PM   #23
-mav-
2.2L

Pulled ECU out yesterday, it's Z5.
Z5 ECU code = 380cc injectors, 260ps TD05H turbo
Z5 - 1995/1996 WRX-RA - 12.57PSI (0.9BAR)

ECU has bridge for expansion chip, so ESL board can be installed easily. Not sure that it's worth it though. One more argument to support V4 swap is that I have datalogger connected to patch harness, so bacisally this way I'm saving myself from doing this job once again in this car.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #24
-mav-
2.2L

Ok, following this thread, 4=>3 plug conversion looks realistic:
The Single Turbo Conversion Thread 2.0
The plan is to get this:

And make something like this: The Single Turbo Conversion Thread 2.0 - Page 5
Old 04-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #25
-mav-
2.2L

It's been a while since last post... Next race is in 9 days, so decided to sum up where we are to put thoughts together.
Couldn't manage get some time to work on the cars, but got some parts ordered and delivered.

Brakes.
Now basically I have everything to swap brembos in, but still waiting for flare tool and other supplies to make custom brake hard lines. Wilwood proportioning valve arrived along with remote knob kit. In fact these parts are not supposed to work together, but i've seen it was done before, so I hope I'll get functional remote brake bias control. Also I got 1600 psi pressure sensor to have brakinkg force in logs rather than just on/off value.
Suspension
I decided to not spend more money on suspension and just swapped whiteline roll center adjustment kit from black car. It doesn't need it with stock ride height anyway. will also try to rotate mounting brackets on front arms rear bushes aka free caster mod. Need to finish with rear arms swap, will try to remove adjustable arms from the black car on this weekend. Kind of dropped the idea to remove rear arms from the white car myself, bolts are just dead stuck. Hope that I will be able to remove arms from black car though and hand the car to some shop next week. Rear coilovers are rebuild and ready to be installed, so at this point I think my suspension will be finished.
Power and weight.
Patch harness is arrived. Now I can start merging 3-plug ECU and 4-plug harness to work together. Still need to pick up my old engine from mechanic to get turbo, injectors and other bits inspected, cleaned and tested. Then fun part will begin.
Got myself a bucket seat. Old steel framed sparco model with one nasty hole on the side It came with modified rail and it's nice that it will fit bolt-on, although i don't like the way it's done. Anyway, gave it a good clean, will do for now. Also with the seat I got rear trunk with V3 spoiler and fog light covers fro the front bumper (weight reduction begins! ). Decided to not use spoiler though - it weights too much to justify the installation, in fact I don't believe that any legal areo mods will help in my class at my speeds.

Talking about the weight I was kind of shocked when I saw brembo brake disks in person. They are really huge comparing with my current ones. I think it will have big impact on acceleration since they all are rotating masses that need to be accelerated each time. So It would be fun to see wether increase in braking perceision and performance can overcome increase in weight and rotating masses and will i manage to improve track time with brembo mod on it's own.
It's not necessary to participate in whole event to find out that though, so I'm not sure if it's worth going to the next event. Even if I manage to get brakes done, without power and weight reduction there's not much sense wasting tyres and time spending whole day on the track to have only two race sessions... So I think I'll opt for dropping next event, finishing brakes and suspension in their planned configuration without a hurry and then testing car when it'll be ready.

Last edited by -mav-; 04-24-2015 at 01:33 AM..
Old 05-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #26
-mav-
2.2L

Next race is in two weeks, I'm totally off the schedule and have no time for the car
Last sunday managed to get adjustible rear arms removed rom the black car, it now has completely sock suspension. Passed MOT (bi-annual roadworthiness inspection) that expired in February and drove the car a bit. So nice!

Other nasty problem I managed to solve was removind db-killer from exhaust. that was a challenge.

After I failed again removing rear arms from the track car, gave up on this and took car to friend's garage.. Picked it up today, now suspension is ready for race.

Had aircon system discharged, can remove it now.
Next on the list are brakes. Tried practicing with flare tool, first flare was great

next one - not so good...

Thinking about placement of bias valve, piping... It's tricky since I plan some major changes in the engine bay. Luckily I have EJ20K under black car's bonnet for reference.

Then it will be time for adding power. Thinking about two intercooler options - water to air setup or front mount with rotated intake.
Front mount looks pretty straightforward but I don't like frontmounts on subaru. So if I will go for it, I'll have get manifold rotated for shorter intake length. Another thing that I always wanted to do is water to air system with heat exchanger in stock i/c location. It will add some weight but I like the concept and short intake length. Also it's better efficiency may help in hot Cyprus weather while removing hood scoop might improve flow throgh radiators.

Got DZ03G Dunlops ordered in 235/45 R17. A bit odd size for GC8 and might require arches modification, but they don't make other 235 sizes and I really liked DZ03G performance.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #27
nhawks
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Ricer Red parts for +25KW

If your able to do a little bit of custom fabrication you could do your own v-mount radiator/intercooler setup, or the water to air setup would work as well and could be very useful for time attack since you could install an icebox if heat is an issue. you could've probably gone up to a 245 tire without much work to not have it rub, if your rubbing with that tire, your probably too low and or too soft for the factory suspension geometry to be useful.

Are you still on stock header? An equal length one should help with spool up and response on the turbo a little bit.
nhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #28
-mav-
2.2L

Under the bonnet the car is as stock as swapped car can be

there are no mods except for turboback 3 in exhaust...
but plans are v3 intake manifold and vf28 turbo.
Need to think about exhaust manifold, but if I go for it, it's rather will be some cheap ebay stuff. Some of those work well, but some can even make worse...

regarding 245 section tyres, Dunlop doesn't make 245s in 17 inch
I had to choose between 235/45 R17 and 255/40 R17.
245/40 would be perfect, but...

v-mount... there is something magical in this word
unfortunately, it's beyond both my budget expectations and my fabrication tools/skills..

Last edited by -mav-; 05-21-2015 at 12:34 PM..
Old 05-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #29
-mav-
2.2L

Drove STi a bit today.

I missed this view!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:55 AM   #30
-mav-
2.2L

Interesting setup:
Plazmaman WRX 97-00 Water to Air intercooler kit at Tuspeed
will make some cardboard mock-ups of different universal cores and try to fit them under the bonnet