Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack - Page 22 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack

Old 09-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #211
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

Well the problem is right in the title

Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack

kidding <3
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 01:09 AM   #212
-mav-
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

knock on wood, but nothing I touched broke on the car ))
Stuff I did mostly works.
-mav- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:35 AM   #213
-mav-
2.2L

I was tuning car before the event and noticed that IAT was climbing really fast while in boost. I decided that intercooler needs to be ducted because my early version 2 bonnet and V3-4 intercooler never ment to work together from factory and stock ducting was removed.

I found this to be good occasion to practice my cad skills and 3d printed.. It did not went smooth and I couldn't print final version in time because i kept having issues with my printer...
Model came up nicely:

As plan B I made another model to make duct from sheet metal, but couldn't get aluminium sheet to make it...
So there came plan C to make the duct from salvage of failed prints of different iterations..

And it works!
I need to find logs of IAT before and after, it's just night and day.
also got washer fluid tank with two pumps and wired one of them to spray the intercooler via switch on the dash and 6 psi pressure-driven relay.
it sprays a bit too much, draining half of the tank in 10 min session, but end result is great.

regarding the situation with the diffs.. It appears that it was on this car from the very begining.. When I bought it, it was swapped with V2 STi engine, but gearbox was from early 2000s WRX... By the code it should have 4.44 ratio and viscous center..
Since i swapped in DCCD ceneter and installed MapDCCD I never actually tested the car on track and frankly never drove it hard on the street as well..
So when I got on the track, swithced on MapDCCD in agressive map, whenever I got any lock loud noises came from the transmission.. something was definately wrong.. So I jacked the car up, got it in first gear and tried to count revs of front and rear wheels on fully locked diff and it appears that fronts turn slower ((((
Probably old viscous center was blown long time ago and car was driving like this who knows how long..
It was effectively free diff with bias towards FWD due to higher reduction in front...
So, this trackday was a disappointment in a way, but still a big WIN in my books because car finally hit the track first time since 2015!!! )) That's great )
Need another rear diff now to match the front.. Suspension is also way too soft for these tires - without DCCD control i can't apply any throttle on corner exit - one wheel just spins..
Also I got really nice logs of brake pressure - it's really cool and gives nice insight on corner entry. Will try to write post about it soon.
there where couple of really nice cars on the track.. too bad I spent most of the time dealing with my problems, should have get more pics..

Last edited by -mav-; 09-09-2019 at 01:41 AM..
-mav- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:31 AM   #214
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier

nice updates. Saving for that vss info
Old 09-10-2019, 12:48 AM   #215
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

good stuff!