Car is running. Not finished everything that I wanted, but I drives and functions )
Now has two fan override switches for both fan speeds, remote logger "on" switch wideband and EGT gauges installed, MapDCCD and wiring mess behind pretty nice center console pannel )))
Bad thing is I couldn't finish it on time to get to start of the event, and when I drove there to catch at lease second session, car died on highway with no fuel pressure... I thought that it was fuel pump and called for toe truck only to find out later in the evening that I ran out of fuel
That happened because I still didn't managed to fix my temp and fuel gauges after ECU swap and I was 100% sure that I filled it two month ago. with only about 60 miles max driven since then, I was sure that it was not an issue... Also I had new fuel pump laying around and replacement was planned for a while, so when car died I was hooked on idea that it finally died... Also didn't helped that OEM pump is very quiet, so when I tested it on highway i was seeing 12v on a plug but couldn't hear it over highway noise... And lack of sleep for past few days was not helping either.
Well... Sort of "meh" story... Happy that i's finally running and running well... Definitely going to the racing event in untested car that just was started for the first time hour ago was not a great idea... Everything I done works... surprisingly... But that was a stupid mistake not to fill the car before the trip. After all the effort put in the car for the last few days and knowing that gauge is not working...
Good advice. I have only small one, but still I'll probably fill it up and keep with me on trips like that... But this time car was stuffed with tools and supplies since I was working on my apartment's parking lot and used car as a storage for a while )
So when I decided I was ready to go - fastest and safest way was to gather stuff around, put it in the car and go )))
The major contributor to this situation except for sleep deprivation was the fact that I usually keep records of all fuel stops in app on my smartphone. It shows real fuel average, running costs, nice graphs of odo readings over time... I just save mileage, price and total cost while pump is running..
And this time before I left I checked this log and I saw full tank filled in March which seems to be right. I just didn't noticed that it was march 2015)))) and my actual recent fill-up on this car (not included in my log properly) was for like 10-15 liters because I didn't wanted full tank because I PLANNED TO REPLACE FUEL PUMP ))))))))
I remembered it all clearly after I had some sleep yesterday )))
I did the same thing to myself the other day. I'd been driving around tuning and *did* have a working fuel gauge, but it was behind the tablet (showing sensor readouts) mounted in front of my stock gauge cluster. The car went lean on the freeway and I was like "Well, I guess I killed it. FML." Only minutes later did I realize I'd just let it run dry about 2 miles past a gas station. I did not feel clever.
Well, it turns out I had working fuel gauge as well. How? I just filled it up and it showed up ))) All this time... That hits hard ))) what a shame...
Aaanyway... At least my temp stock gauge IS properly messed up! There's the wire going from the dash to ECU sensors ground that has 12v, and disconnecting it allows car to run and see all the sensors, but that stupid gauge is not working... need to check diagrams and see what it wants...
Another issue with my ECU swap that I found out reviewing logs is that ECU can't see signal from VSS2. It seems from manuals that my V4 ECU wants to see 12V square wave from sensor on gearbox and sends out signal to the dash, but my car's dash being V2 receives speed signal via cable from gearbox and sends square wave to ECU which I thought I'll just use instead of gearbox signal, but.. It turned out that it's only 5v and ECU is not happy. I have proper gearbox sensor but in this case I install it, I will loose speed on the dash so I opted to try to get a workaround and amplify voltage using optocoupler. We'll see how it will turn out when parts arrive.
Other than that, I try to drive the car to develop fuel map but living close to office doesn't help much. Also got a bit frustrated by some of the settings of my ESL ECU but it seems to be solved, so now I mostly need to spend some time mapping it. At least car is running...
Another disappointment was being unable to log my Innovate EGT gauge signal as I planned. Don't know if I got wrong version of the gauge or they all like that but it seems that it only can be logged via serial in their software which I don't like and never used except for setting up the gauges... hopefully I can figure out the way to integrate it in CAN stream later on with proper ECU. Still will require some adapters and expensive stuff...
On mechanical side of things, car probably needs to be raised a bit and front wheel arches need to be rolled because left wheel catches on the inner edge when loaded in turns and tries to rip it out... Seat is waiting to be installed - need to find a welder to modify the adapter frame. Installed quick release on front bumper after seeing it done on one of the cars here and it works great!
Can't wait to test it on the track!