Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack - Page 20 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack

Old 05-06-2019, 04:25 AM   #191
-mav-
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

Yeah, -2.5 front and rears is what worked for me before, that's why I decided to start from these as base line... wider tires with same roll stiffness might call for more camber, but with good caster angles I have now car is gaining more camber when steering is off center then before. We'll have to wait for trackday to find out for sure..
In the meantime I started removing dash to delete remains of AC system and sort out the wiring, and my worse forecasts came true.. I managed to spend only several hours on Saturday with the car and now it looks like this:

And pic under the dash shows how things are done there, I haven't done anything to make it look worse.... yet. ))

Instrument cluster is what made me stuck right now... Car has cable speedo and it seems that it needs to be disconnected from gearbox first to get dash out, which called for removing intercooler and some other stuff that was in the way..
I have electronic VSS laying around, and V4 ECU will be happy with it, I believe, but then I'll have no speedo reading on my V2 dash.. Anyway, I couldn't remove dash on Saturday and on Sunday some other things got priority, so car left undrivable until next weekend.. Hopefully... Because the more time passes from disassembly, the more time it usually takes me to put it back together. And also it means more unnecessary parts in the end
Also I wanted to put steering angle sensor for datalogging somewhere and it seems to be more difficult than I expected. I ordered some generic 360 deg hall sensor with 0-5v output, so I need to connect it to steering shaft somehow with 2.5:1 reduction or whatever lock-to-lock turns my rack has now. Any ideas?

Last edited by -mav-; 05-06-2019 at 04:29 AM..
-mav- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #192
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

Cable pops out the back of the cluster as well.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #193
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier

If it's a 2 wire vss you'll need a v4 cluster to be the middleman to get signal to ecu. If it's a 3 wire you need a v5+
Old 05-07-2019, 01:38 AM   #194
-mav-
2.2L

I remember that cable should pop out somewhere... Dash just doesn't move to get any access behind it and I didn't wanted to apply force to it... I planned to check manual before I approach it next time.
Regarding electronic VSS, it'll probably will go in together with standalone. someday
Old 05-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #195
-mav-
2.2L

Had a chance to spend several hours working on a car yesterday.
removed the dash to get better access to wiring...
Frankly, it was scary to touch that mess ))

Don't have "after" pic bud dash is installed and all junction blocks and holders are now in their places and everything is much cleaner now...
also removed steering column switches to clean them from 20+ years of dust and install steering position sensor somehow. There seems to be plenty of space under the housing:

Can someone confirm me that these keys on the ring are just interface for airbag spring ring thing?

This is my understanding of their purpose since I can't see any way they are used in my current setup (have no airbag)
the idea is to design and 3d print this ring with toothed wheel on the outside for small timing belt going to the sensor...

Also I confirmed that speed sensor cable just pops out from the cluster, but also it consists of two parts - lower short piece bolted to the gearbox and upper part going in the dash. Connection between them is easy spring lock and it was very easy to disconnect to get some extra cable length for removing the cluster with cable still connected...

Last edited by -mav-; 05-10-2019 at 05:57 AM..
Old 05-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #196
t3hWIT
ok terrific.

Fav Mod: Recaro baby seat
Trader Rating: (34)

Those keys cancel your turn signal.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #197
-mav-
2.2L

From what I can see, keys that cancel turn signals are the ones that are a bit deeper in the assembly on this ring. You can even see spots where they are a bit worn working against this white piece on the left.
Also these two keys I'm asking about are different in size like there should be something that you only can install one way, with respective slots in it... It really looks just like a spacer about 10mm deep... So I think it's for airbag ring, as well as many unused screw spots on the front face of the assembly. It even seems to be able to accommodate different styles of it according to number and location of those screw holes...