Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack - Page 14 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack

Old 02-23-2017, 03:03 AM   #131
-mav-
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

In the meantime regulations and calendar where posted on official FB page of out TA championship.
Basically, in my class car should have stock interior, 4 point harness, not more than 7% weight reduction from stock weight, engine should be from the same manufacturer as car (looks like something like EZ36 turbo build will be legal ), on max 265 street legal semi slick. Water/meth injection is allowed.
Looking on 2016 season, top competitors are turbo S2000 and NA EG9 civic with B18 NA engine and light weight, stock E46 M3 CSL with nice suspension mods and sticky tryres... Well I will not guess my chances because I already done that like two years ago... Since there bar was raised higher but I'll stick to what I have.
First race is scheduled on April, 2nd. There also will be a pre-season trackday in the beginning of March.

To do list:

Mechanical:
Assemble manifolds
Drop engine in
Put exhaust together
Radiator and cooling plumbing
Figure out cold air intake with enclosed filter and MAF delete
Put together fuel system
Install walbro fuel pump (make sure that it will not result in starving fuel like it did last time)
Service BC inverted coilovers (I believe it's recommend to get them re-greased once every year)
Change all fluids.

Wiring:
Figure out a way to adapt V2 engine harness and dash to V4 ECU
Wire in IAT sensor
re-wire COP ignition in wasted spark mode
Install Wideband (MTX-L)
Install EGT gauge (on its way)
Radiator fan override
Wire in RaceDAC datalogger

Final touches:
Figure out mafless mode on ESL and START THE CAR
Check brakes operation and possible leaks
Get safe tune without meth injection
Take it to exhaust shop. Currently there are no flex sections anywhere in the exhaust (except for manifold mid pipe) so I wanted to add one and MOT might require cat install.
Get wheel alignment
Renew insurance, registration and MOT
Test on track

Is it realistic to get it dome before April? Judging from my previous progress - no way But what I know for sure if I will not make it for the first event, there are good chances that I might not make it to start the car this season at all, so I'll better try my best to get the car running safe for some sort of shakedown event on the first race.
-mav- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #132
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (173)

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2017, 02:33 AM   #133
-mav-
2.2L

Well, weekend wasn't super productive, but at least I got things moving...
Got engine out of the living room and closer to the car it had ever been since last summer

Mock-up fitted exhaust manifolds, put front damper pulley on as well as some missing clamps on misc coolant lines and some sensors preparing it for final assembly.
Also pressure washed the engine bay and tried to figure out what to do with wiring. It turns out that engine wiring between V2 and V3-4 engines is really different... V2 engine harness connects to chassis only near fuse box, while V4 harness got big connectors on moth sides - near fuse box and near cyl#3.
So, to speed up process I decided to look for V4 ECU, engine bay and engine harnesses to replace it as a whole. that way I will only need to mate it all with chassis and gauge cluster and potentially will have better condition of harness in general, because most part of my current engine bay harness is old, hard and tired.
As a plan B I have V4 engine harness from spare engine I bought. It's cut near major connections on both sides but has all engine side plugs on it so i can cut off the V2 engine harness connectors from manifold I'm not using and use it ti connect V4 engine harness to V2 engine bay harness. That way most of the engine bay harness and ECU body harness will remain V2 and all alernations will be done on patch harness I'll got long time ago. It was original plan to go what now is "plan B" but I think that it will be less work If I'll manage to get complete V4 harness.. we'll see..
Btw, COP ignition wiring for V4 engine turns out to be quite simple and common thing, there are even plug and play harness kits for sale like this one (note to myself if I become super lazy):
Subaru Coilpack conversion looms | JT Innovations

Last edited by -mav-; 02-27-2017 at 02:40 AM..
Old 02-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #134
bue car

Yeah Subaru, good times LOL -_-

Good luck on that 'mess'
Old 03-14-2017, 03:31 AM   #135
-mav-
2.2L

Things are moving!
It was raining all the weekend but I was determined to get engine in. Realised that I need to put clutch on, found that one of the whywheel dowel pins whas missing. Made new one out of old cam cap bolt with appropriate shoulder using hand saw, file, sandpaper, and drill as lathe ))
It was fun, kind of... I made something )

Long story short, engine is now installed ) Achievement unlocked ))

Before installing engine I drilled and tapped O2 plug before uppipe for EGT sensor and changed spark plugs... now I'm ready to start working on fuel lines and wiring...
Still waiting for two more intake manifold gaskets to put manifold on finally with install thermal insulation spacers I got last week...
There will be sprint event next Sunday, not regular time attack configuration. Stage will be about twice as long as regular lap, using some of the lap sectors twice in different directions. Should be fun, thinking of getting Type-R for a ride to get some seat time before the season...
Old 03-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #136
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier

Theres only 2 flywheel pins. If you added a third you might have unbalanced it
Old 03-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #137
-mav-
2.2L

Nope, I have two now... They are 90 degrees apart. I believe there are no spare holes on my flywheel to put a third one...
One of original pins got lost somehow. I tried to pull it from my spare engine but only lost about two hours.. Cam cap bolt shoulder was just a tiny bit larger than I needed, so I filed it down using drill, cut it to length and polished
Old 03-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #138
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier

Cool
Old 03-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #139
bue car

Nice
Old 03-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #140
susiemk
2.5L RS-T

Car: GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
Fav Mod: EJ222+10psi=12.89s 1/4
Trader Rating: (58)

Awesome cars!
Finishing a rally blue pearl v4 STi R replica myself engine is swapped (with billet turbo & v2 RA semi el oem exhaust manifolds), 3" tbe, v4 front & rear bumpers, type r lip, STi option suspension, alloy hood, gd sti interior

I had a couple of 95 STi RA engine swaps in the past - ecu was SB code, tmic was silver w an aluminum / silicone intake (one of the best if not the best flowing tmic (tested by an australian mag)), exhaust manifold was cast iron el "y" on left side & had longer runners on right side (odd semi el sounding) of course tranny was dccd.

Odd the your car had the standard z5 ecu & black tmic w plastic inlet (worst flowing tmic) - looks good now!!!

Also turbine housings seem to be cracked most of the time but they are 7cm, your turbine housing had a 6 stamped into it was it a td04 or td05?

Last edited by susiemk; 03-14-2017 at 05:06 PM..
susiemk is offline   Reply With Quote