Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack - Page 12 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack

Old 09-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #111
bue car

Fav Mod: Which car?
Trader Rating: (174)

Gotcha. Yea, I just want them to have, probably won't use them. So cheaper the better LOL

Anyways, looks good!
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2016, 05:34 AM   #112
-mav-
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

I've done one more stupid thing.. After I cleaned turbo I decided to fill the cartridge with oil so, I had turbo laying on the table like this:

And filled both supply and return lines with fresh oil...
Couple of days later I decided to put turbo back together and i found all that oil in the turbo housing..

Thinking about that I decided that it's probably normal because cartridge seals are not really supposed to work in this situation... Correct me if i'm wrong.
Gave it all a good clean and put it al together.
-mav- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #113
bue car

Correct. Just a waste of oil.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #114
-mav-
2.2L

Semi-annual update!
Well... almost. I hope that I will find more time for the car and it will be running somewhere in March.

Not much done since last update... For some reason I became really excited when I saw some inconel WRC heat shielding stuff, so I got myself some heat shields and spent about the month shredding a lot of paper for templates.
Finally one month later I got this:

In fact it took less than couple of hours once I decided to proceed with actual material rather than figuring out 20th edition of perfect template...
Anyways, prepearing for final assembly, need to decide on where to mount GM IAT sensor. What do you guys think about this spot?

I will have COP ignition, so there will be no coil pack at the top of the manifold. I heard that heatsoak might affect iat readings if it will be mounted on the manifold, how bad is it?
I wanted to start it with oem intercooler first, so I can't figure out better place for it now. Also thinking about adding meth injection to help stock topmount... probably add a nozzle at intercooler outlet, so IAT will be downtream from the system. Need to read more about it, it's kind of new thing to me...
Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #115
bue car

Any room on the bottom?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #116
-mav-
2.2L

Yes, it's another option to consider. In fact wall thickness in not very good at the top, the idea is to drill and tap threads for the sensor which, I believe is 3/8 NPT. If it will not work , then I will have to get it somewhere to weld the bung in (bye-bye nice paint job)

I will try to fit it on the bottom somewhere today. Wall thickness there is probably the same, but it's flat, so will be easier to tap there. On the other hand, I believe that it's generally better idea to place any sensors in intake or exhaust facing downwards. We'll see. Need to put the manifold on the engine and to see if there's any space available.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:47 AM   #117
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier

the iat element, on a gm sensor anyway, is inside a little plastic cage. If its heat soaking then its from the slower air flow inside the hot manifold and its still measuring correctly.

if you still using the pcv, dont put it anywhere near there or it could get oily
Old 02-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #118
-mav-
2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJr View Post
the iat element, on a gm sensor anyway, is inside a little plastic cage. If its heat soaking then its from the slower air flow inside the hot manifold and its still measuring correctly.

if you still using the pcv, dont put it anywhere near there or it could get oily
yes, it seems that PCV is one more point against putting it on the bottom of the manifold.

I saw how you put your sensor instead of PCV valve and the spot is very nice, but I still want to keep PCV system.

Last edited by -mav-; 02-16-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #119
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
Fav Mod: Ej205
Trader Rating: (1)
Default Homebuilt GC8 for Time Attack

I couldn't figure out what manifold you have, but the USDM wrx/sti manifolds have an 1/8" npt fitting for an evap vacuum line. Yours looks different but may have a similar fitting somewhere?

If you don't have the purge valve stuff you can remove the fitting and thread in the 1/8" npt sensor. Don't know if GM makes one, but AEM makes am 1/8" npt IAT sensor.

This picture shows the fitting on my mock up engine with ej205 manifold:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RavensFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #120
-mav-
2.2L

It's EJ20K manifold. Basically my engine is going to be EJ20G STi longblock with EJ20K electronics conversion except for keeping COP igniton. Thats... wierd

I already have four GM IAT sensors, three of them are 3/8 NPT and one is M18x1.5 because Chinese ebay seller, that's why
Got four of them since I was excited with water-to-air intercooler setup and I wanted to log it's efficiency vs stock setup