As much fun it was to work with Kydex, and as nice as the shield looked, I really started to question whether this was the proper application for Kydex material. When building the shield up to that point, I got concerned just how easy it was to heat it up to the point the it was moldable. Too easy, I thought. Then I started reading more about Kydex, and I could not really find a whole a lot of its usage in under the hood automotive application. Then one day, we had a really hot day. I took some scrap pieces that I had and took them to work with me. As I parked the car, I laid them out on the dash and left it for the day. Granted it was a very hot sunny day, but when I came back in the afternoon, some of the pieces must of heated up enough in the sun that they sagged in some places sitting on non-flat parts of the dash. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough for me. I decided that it could not take the high temperatures of sitting on the dash for a day, it probably would not do real well sitting under the hood next to turbo. That's probably why you don't see it used more in the automotive applications.
So I ended up scrapping the Kydex idea, and decided to build the shield out of aluminum. I went with 16 gauge (0.050 inch) sheet of 3003 aluminum. Since I had a template, it was just repeating the work, but with aluminum. I had another reason to buy some more tools from Harbor Freight. I went out and got these metal shears .
I followed one of the tips provided in the instructions that came with it, and went over the edges with super glue. Just laid a tiny bead of it. Because otherwise it wanted to start fraying. Then fitted the round opening with a reinforced plastic edge trip.
Next just like often happens with me, I start to think wonder and second guess. I started thinking if the floor and tunnel insulation would be appropriate for outside of the cabin. As you can see in this picture the part of the insulation under the foil looking thing is something spongy, and when I dipped it in water, it soaked up some of it and held it there. So with having potential of being exposed to elements under the hood, I wasn't sure if maybe I would want to put it on the inside of the sheild.
I am still thinking about it but for now I did not put in on the air box. So for this this is what its goning to look like.
So with the air filter shield finished (for now), I turned my attention to another long overdue thing that I have been meaning to "aquire". Its the intercooler air splitter. I never bothered to get anything when I did my original swap, but it sure would be nice to get something for there. Finding the intercooler splitter to fit GC8 hood scoop is hard enough, finding one that fits GC8 scoop and has large enough opening for a Ver 7 TMIC is nearly impossible. You'd have to get really lucky or pay crapload of money and even then I don't think I had seen any that have large enough opening to send air to the whole Ver 7 TMIC.
So I decided to make one myself, why the hell not. I went with 0.063 inch 3003 aluminum. But before I would get to the actual aluminum, I spend a good amount of time building a template. So I got some more cardboard and went at it.
So after figuring out a rough shape, I figured that this looks to be presice job and I better get something that I would be able to make more accurate template out of. I got one of those news board from AC Moore, pencils, and bunch rulers and right angles.
Measuring location of the IC.
Making some modifications to the template
Working on the scooping action
The plan is to add the second smaller splitter plate in front of the main scoop similar to some of the ZeroSport splitters. But I'll get to it when time comes.
So I made some actual progress on building the IC splitter.
Often times people bitch about how much companies charge for some aftermarket parts, especially smaller runs items, or how much custom shops charge for work. Sometimes I too find myself doing that. You think - it cost that much??? But itís just piece of metal. However, every time I build something or do some work myself that professional shops offers, I quickly understand why. It either takes a long time and a lot of effort, using some non-industrial tools, or it costs a ton for the tools that would make the job quicker.
This IC splitter is a prime example. Donít get me wrong, itís been kind of interesting making it, but its taking me a bit of time.
Like I said before I am using .063 inch 3003 aluminums, so it would be sturdy enough, easily bendable, weldable.
Here Ė transferring my measurements from the template to the aluminum sheet.
This tool came in really handy. Reading the ruler with half millimeter notches. I understand that the finished product is not going to have laser precision but where I can help it I wanted to be accurate so that the inaccuracies did not added up.