Alex's 99 RS through a decade+ of modding, racing, swapping, neglecting, restoring - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Alex's 99 RS through a decade+ of modding, racing, swapping, neglecting, restoring

Old 01-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #61
Osgood30
2.7L

Car: 99 Impreza RSTI
Trader Rating: (4)

What came next really epitomized how my last month or so have been going. Before even buying that WRX radiator, I wanted to get my GC8 Radiator connected to my upper tank the correct way, and I have been doing my reading, research. Found The Ultimate Radiator Solution thread, and really like that method of drilling and threading additional nipple into the bolt hole. So I did some more research, found the threaded nipple. When I made a decision to ditch the WRX radiator, and go back to RS one, I went ahead and got my drill out, go the nipple out, the tap. Then I look at the it the radiator... And the welded on bolt hole is just barely bigger diameter than the 1/8 NPT thread. If you drill and thread through it, you'll end up with tin foil walls.

From that last picture, you can see that the thickness of the walls on that welded on threaded spacer is much smaller that on the Koyo radiator that the guy had in that other thread. So I decided against doing that. But I still wanted to add the extra nipple some fancy way, instead of through the gutted cap. Back to McMaster.com I ended up ordering some 5/16th aluminum pipe, and the plan is to bend it with pipe bended, and weld it in, similar to how 90-94 Legacy Turbo radiators have them. This time I am just going to let one shop near me do the welding. I'll learn how to weld aluminum some other time.

Osgood30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #62
Osgood30
2.7L

Throughout the 2.5 years that the car has been stationary, I have been scouring ebay for some white face Greddy gauges to complement my 1.5 working ones. I had a working boost gauge, and an EGT one with broken sender unit. They have been long discontinued, but I liked the look of them, and I didn't want to spend $200 per on new gauges. So over time, I managed to collect all the gauges and sensors that I wanted. I got all the wiring and a sender for EGT, then got complete water temp, oil temp and oil pressure gauges. So being at the point of my build where I was, I decided it would be good time to look at possible locations for different sensors. I spend couple of weeks reading all of the debates of people saying that it should be here, or here, or you stupid if you are measuring you temperature there. I also spent a lot of time educating myself about the world of pipe threads, more specifically two worlds, American and British.

So for the EGT I had a PT fitting with that came with the sensor. After much research, and also the fact that my probe blew out originally, I looked at the replacement options, for future considerations. The most direct replacement is Defi probe, which cost around $200. Then I also read that people use this replacement probe on Defi gauges.
EGT Probe Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor - 3/16" Diameter So I figured that for compatibility purposes I should switch the fitting from PT to NPT one, should I ever have to replace the fitting as well. I got this one, Defi 1/8 NPT Fitting for Exhaust Temperature Sensor PDF01109G at RallySportDirect.com I have to tap my new stock headers (Tommei headers can go to hell) and I will be good to go.

Next, oil pressure and temperature. Here is where the most arguments were in many threads. A lot of people say to install the pressure sensor in the front galley plug in place of the stock pressure sensor. They say why would you want to keep the stock unit as its useless because it only alerts you when the pressure is really low. And on top of that you will have your more accurate gauge. I went back and forth on that, but I thought that keeping stock sensor is still a good idea, because you don't look on you gauges at all times, but if a dash light comes on you will notice it the same instant. So after much deliberation I ended up installing the Greddy pressure sensor in the rear galley plug. I got the OEM plug with PT threads to match the Greddy/Defi sensors.

With oil temperature, there were also many different ways that I saw people do it. Some people put it in the rear galley plug, some in the front along with pressure one using some adapter similar to this one.

The problem for me was, that if I wanted to use this adapter, I needed all three threads to be BSPT, but all of the adapters that you can find have the side one with NPT. I looked all over the internet to find one with all BSPT threads, and right before completely loosing my mind, I found one on eBay UK. So I ordered it. When I received it, I realize that it really won't work with what I want to use it for. I would probably work for two pressure sensors as they don't protrude past the thread, but it certainly would not fir the temperature sensor, as that one sticks out and the fitting does not have enough room for it. On top of that it does add some height and I don't think it would fit in the front under the alternator, and in the back I wouldn't be able to use it because of what I described. It looks like these fitting adapters were really designed for oil bypass, or coolers anyways instead of multiple sensors. So after wasting couple of weeks getting that adapter from UK, I decided to just keep it simple, STUPID! I ended up getting oil pan drain plug adapter by Killer B, and putting the sensor there
Killer B Motorsport M20x1.5 to 1/8PT Adapter OEMPT at RallySportDirect.com

Water temperature debate was no different. It ranged from radiator hose adapter, to heater pipe, to in radiator fittings (on some Koyo radiators). However, I went a completely less common way. I saw only one person post about it, Patrick Olsen on Nabisco. I tapped the crossover coolant pipe and installed the sensor there. In fact right next to the stock sensor. Because I didn't know how well that would work, I bought another used crossover pipe on eBay for really cheap and decided to experiment with it, so that I would still have my stock one just in case.

This button looking thing looked like a perfect spot to drill and tap as it looked like there was a lot of meat, and almost looked like was there for some possible sensors on other models, I don't know.

I also checked to see if it would not interfere with anything else, and there was indeed a lot of space.

So I got out some smaller drill bits, as well as the final size of 8.4mm one, as specified for 1/8 BSPT tap and started drilling. There was really a lot of metal in that spot so that was good. Then I tapped it with 1/8 BSPT that I got from McMaster, and it was that easy. I used this thread sealant when threadng the sensors in the pipe

And the result was this

I don't know if that is the best way of doing it, and the best place to measure it but that's the way I did it.

The only thing was that because of my piss poor planning I ended up having to take the intake manifold back off.

I had previously purchase the new O rings for the water crossover pipe. When I compared the old ones and the new ones, the old one looked square, or maybe squished from years of sitting in that groove between the two surfaces. The new one was round and was taller, so I am sure it would seal just fine.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #63
Beachtowel
Coast Works

Car: 2000 BRP 2.5RS
Trader Rating: (3)

holy hell. what an inspiring story. you are a true OG.
Beachtowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #64
Subaru_Dude
1.8L

Car: 2001 6spd Impreza RS
Trader Rating: (0)

What a good read. looking forward to an update.
Subaru_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #65
Ayanamieve
IwannadrivelikeBunta

Fav Mod: Swap/RCE T2s
Trader Rating: (19)

Good read man. Awesome progress on the car and on life. Loving the garage!
Ayanamieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #66
GC822BDREAMER
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: JDM REAR GLASS/ETS SCOOP
Trader Rating: (43)

very insipring build!
GC822BDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #67
Osgood30
2.7L

Since this thread got bumped couple of days ago, I just wanted to pop in here and assure everyone that I had not died.

I haven't really been able to make a much progress on the car as much I wanted to... sometimes life has other plans... but I have made some progress, and also am very close to getting back to the build more extensively.

I hope to have updates soon.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #68
Bansheeboy11
I ❤ BOOBIES

Fav Mod: 300K Club
Trader Rating: (59)

Car looks great! I know your pain bud, my RS has been in the garage for almost 2 years already haha
Bansheeboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #69
Osgood30
2.7L

Alright, I am back for with some progress and updates.

A lot of things have happened in my life in the last few months but I will just keep going, trying to get this car to a triumphant return to the roads. One of these things is that I am going to be a daddy in 4 months. So if I die from old age before finishing the car, hopefully my kid will be able to take over this project

Onto the progress. I will need to catch up to some events going back to February. I have been doing few things here and there since then, but when I am making a very slow progress, or have long brakes in between working on the car, I generally have to stay away from this site so I don't get too depressed.

So after ditching Tomei Headers, I took a stock STI headers that I bought from another member that were in the very nice shape. They were from 2013 STI so everything was very shiny still and rust free. I went ahead and got all new gaskets for them. I also scored a very nice used GrimmSpeed uppipe, that I had ceramic coated over at BoneHead Performance.

Below are some pictures of me Installing the Defi EGT sensors that I had. One thing that I did after my extensive research and education on pipe thread standards, is that I went ahead and bought Defi 1/8 NPT Fitting to replace PT fitting that came with the kit. I got it at RSD. The reasoning behind it was if I ever need to get a replacement sender unit, I would just get one of these from This place which are a lot cheaper but are only come in NPT thread. So I would just tap out 1/8 NTP hole in my manifold and be done with it.

Here practicing on my old piece.

Finding a nice spot to tap

Tapped

Test Fitting the probe

Old 07-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #70
Osgood30
2.7L

Now fitting the heat shield with a hole for the sender.

Now onto the assembly of the headers/uppipe.

And installation
Along with new gaskets I went a head and got all new bolts, nuts and studs, because... why the hell not.

In these last pictures you can see the oil temperature sensor installed in the oil pan drain nut. I used KillerB nut for that that I got from RSD.