Alex's 99 RS through a decade+ of modding, racing, swapping, neglecting, restoring - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Alex's 99 RS through a decade+ of modding, racing, swapping, neglecting, restoring

Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #41
Osgood30
2.7L

Car: 99 Impreza RSTI
Trader Rating: (4)

The car was back in

And having gotten the rear looking so fresh, I couldn't now do a half ass job in the front. So the teardown began in the front.

Look at those nasty stock headers. Also, damn! Those aluminum racing radiators hold a lot of coolant.

Osgood30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 10:10 PM   #42
Osgood30
2.7L

I knew I was running out of warm days soon, so I set the engine and tranny aside and started working on underside, wheel wells, and the engine bay.

The underside received the same wire wheel treatment

The engine bay got cleaned up as well. I broke couple bolts while taking off few brackets. So I took this opportunity to just cutting the welded nuts off with piece of the broken bolts and welding the new ones on in few spots.

Then paint

Old 01-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #43
Osgood30
2.7L

The body was all done at this point. I was still using still stock RS front hub/knuckle assembly, which was limiting me in the choice of aftermarket rotors, because of the external ABS tone ring.

So I picked up a set of hubs/knuckles from 04 STI that used axle tone rings. Got a set on new bearing while I was at it. Stripped and painted them.

With all of the last pieces painted and November cold coming in, it was time to say thanks and good bye to my paint booth.

Quick photo of the paintbooth when it was first made.

Now before dismantlement

Old 01-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #44
Osgood30
2.7L

Now it was time to look at the sorry looking engine.

I started taking things off. Here is the intake manifold.

Fuel rails, manifold risers.

This engine was from 2001 STI and it had the same fuel leak problem in extreme cold temperature that 02 and 03 WRXs had a recall for. Given that and the conditions of these fuel rails in general, I decided to see if I can replace them. I found these much nicer looking ones on eBay from 2007 STI

Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #45
Osgood30
2.7L

Then the intake manifold itself. I was looking at different option, painting, powder coating. Decided on paying for powder coating. Took to couple local places for quotes, got some insane prices. These were not necessarily automotive specialty shops. Then after doing some research and decided to take it to a place a little further from me, Bonehead Performance in Warminster, PA, who actually know what intake manifold was. I was extremely please with the price, and also the result. I will definitely recommend them.

Here is what I gave them.

Here is what I got back

The intake manifold risers I decided to just clean up myself.

I don't know what actually worked, as I used couple of different things. I soaked them in Simple Green, CLR, and just regular dish washing soap. Then I went over with a dremet tool with a wire wheel which seemed to gave it a little bit of polishing up.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #46
Osgood30
2.7L

While I was taking the intake manifold apart, I snapped off the clip off of one of the injector connector. So I was pleased to see how easy it was to find the replacement pig tails, and soldered a new one in.

Fresh set of injector o rings

Then It was time to assemble everything back.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #47
Osgood30
2.7L

Along with intake manifold, I also took my front calipers to Bonehead Performance to get powder coat. They even did the second color on the raised letters, which other shops just laughed at.

Here is what I gave them

And here is what I got back.

While at it, I also got a repair kit with new piston seals and what not.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #48
Osgood30
2.7L

While I wait to upload format the next batch of photos, here is the picture of all of the rusted parts that will be going to scrap yard.

Last edited by Osgood30; 01-24-2015 at 10:58 PM..
Old 01-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #49
Osgood30
2.7L

The engine coolant and vent lines looked like could use refinishing. Rubber connecting hoses and clamps looked like were ready to be replaced.

I soaked them in that Rust-Evap fluid then brushed and rinsed the crap away, then repainted it with engine enamel.

The oil cooler line was looked like it wasn't worth refinishing, and it was not expensive from the dealer, that was replaced. The hose elbows too.

Cleaned up the engine a little. Replaced all of the rusty timing cover bolts, and the center and right timing cover because they were cracked, all the way back from the engine delivery in 2005. While at it, got a Grimmspeed pulley. Then it was time to start putting the lines back on the engine.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #50
Osgood30
2.7L

There are many different ways and combinations to put engine/transmission back. Whereas I took them out connected, I decided to put the engine in first by itself.

Double checking clutch bolt torque specs.

Next put the JDM coolant expansion tank, that I got from JDMGary probably like 3 years ago.

Then came repainted (in the inside) hood, with new fresh insulator, for extra freshness.