I knew I was running out of warm days soon, so I set the engine and tranny aside and started working on underside, wheel wells, and the engine bay.
The underside received the same wire wheel treatment
The engine bay got cleaned up as well. I broke couple bolts while taking off few brackets. So I took this opportunity to just cutting the welded nuts off with piece of the broken bolts and welding the new ones on in few spots.
Now it was time to look at the sorry looking engine.
I started taking things off. Here is the intake manifold.
Fuel rails, manifold risers.
This engine was from 2001 STI and it had the same fuel leak problem in extreme cold temperature that 02 and 03 WRXs had a recall for. Given that and the conditions of these fuel rails in general, I decided to see if I can replace them. I found these much nicer looking ones on eBay from 2007 STI
Then the intake manifold itself. I was looking at different option, painting, powder coating. Decided on paying for powder coating. Took to couple local places for quotes, got some insane prices. These were not necessarily automotive specialty shops. Then after doing some research and decided to take it to a place a little further from me, Bonehead Performance in Warminster, PA, who actually know what intake manifold was. I was extremely please with the price, and also the result. I will definitely recommend them.
Here is what I gave them.
Here is what I got back
The intake manifold risers I decided to just clean up myself.
I don't know what actually worked, as I used couple of different things. I soaked them in Simple Green, CLR, and just regular dish washing soap. Then I went over with a dremet tool with a wire wheel which seemed to gave it a little bit of polishing up.
While I was taking the intake manifold apart, I snapped off the clip off of one of the injector connector. So I was pleased to see how easy it was to find the replacement pig tails, and soldered a new one in.
The engine coolant and vent lines looked like could use refinishing. Rubber connecting hoses and clamps looked like were ready to be replaced.
I soaked them in that Rust-Evap fluid then brushed and rinsed the crap away, then repainted it with engine enamel.
The oil cooler line was looked like it wasn't worth refinishing, and it was not expensive from the dealer, that was replaced. The hose elbows too.
Cleaned up the engine a little. Replaced all of the rusty timing cover bolts, and the center and right timing cover because they were cracked, all the way back from the engine delivery in 2005. While at it, got a Grimmspeed pulley. Then it was time to start putting the lines back on the engine.