Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired. - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Terry's 415whp Forester diy budget build. About to be retired.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #61
epil0g
2.7L

Car: 00RS Coupe, 00RSwaggin
Fav Mod: SDS
Trader Rating: (5)

34* Total time under 10psi? That would be only 2* of timing retard under boost. Yes thats a lot of timing. On 16psi on the M90 charger I was pulling like 18* total, bringing my total timing down into the 22-24* range.

If I didn't pull 1*per psi it would knock.
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #62
TerryJr
Experimenter

Fav Mod: AAA Premier
Trader Rating: (0)

Hmm, i guess i should revisit the timing for reliabilty sakes. I havent even taken it over 6k yet, scared i guess.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #63
epil0g
2.7L

Car: 00RS Coupe, 00RSwaggin
Fav Mod: SDS
Trader Rating: (5)

I also think you're closer to the 8.3:1 CR with the 96D heads on a 22 SB, neither the piston or heads have enough dish/volume to be less than a stock 7.8:1 STi, which have big dish and huge 57cc combustion chambers.

I could be wrong, correct me if so.

Last edited by epil0g; 08-31-2014 at 11:04 AM..
epil0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #64
TerryJr
Experimenter

I kept getting between 7.7 and 8.1 depending on calculator. I figured 14cc pistons, 54cc heads 1.3mm gasket and i subtracted .2mm from hg for the pistons protruding block. It is more driveable out of boost than i expected though
Old 09-02-2014, 06:08 AM   #65
TerryJr
Experimenter

short video clip of idle. should be played on something with a subwoofer for accurate sound

Old 09-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #66
TerryJr
Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epil0g View Post
34* Total time under 10psi? That would be only 2* of timing retard under boost. Yes thats a lot of timing. On 16psi on the M90 charger I was pulling like 18* total, bringing my total timing down into the 22-24* range.

If I didn't pull 1*per psi it would knock.
It must not mind timing too much, i had to redo some maps to clamp my maf at 4 volts to avoid ecu 100% duty cycle. I accidentally missed the - in front of my timing adjustments so instead of pulling 10 degrees at wot, i added 10 degrees then did 4 or 5 forth gear pulls before i noticed. So far no ill effects
Old 09-03-2014, 04:49 AM   #67
TerryJr
Experimenter

Not the prettiest but its working. That coupling on the throttle body has got to go, its going to pop. I'm two 2.5" T-bolts short. I need to set up the catch cans behind the grille and i need to start looking into a WRX radiator swap because my lower rad hose hits the intercooler pipe pretty good and right at the tap so its only a matter of time before it wears through. I also need an OBD fuel trim logger.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #68
TerryJr
Experimenter

I'm getting a good amount of blue smoke after deceleration in heavy vacuum. I'm thinking valve seals but it seems like a little too much smoke for valve seals. I know the block was in good shape before the swap, the heads i only ran once on the way home from buying the car originally, never noticed smoke. No oil coming out of BOV so i dont think PCV unless its pulling oil up the crankcase breather straight through the valve. Actually it might be, i noticed yesterday a good amoutn of fresh oil on bellhousing and i dont have a clamp on the CC breather port.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #69
Stew3223
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Displacement Reduction
Trader Rating: (8)

Great build man! I've got a 98 SF as well for daily use. Always thought about doing something with it like what you've done.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #70
TerryJr
Experimenter

I removed the pcv hose to check its the source of my oil, now im almost certain its valve seals or guides. Time for an ej20g. Just gonna swap in the block and heads