Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Ari's WRB GC8 Turbo Build - Lots of Pics!

239K views 1K replies 78 participants last post by  Ariii 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello there, since I am pretty bored I decided to do a Members Journal.

My name is Ari and I live in Iceland. In 2011 I found this car wrecked outside a garage in a town close to where I live. It had no engine, no gearbox, no exhaust, and every single window, light and body panel was smashed. Right away I wanted to buy it and use the hood, bumper, seats and such to make my Outback nicer.

A few months after I found it I bought it and got it home. When it was home I changed my mind and decided I wanted to rebuild it, thought it was going to be easy, cheap and quick, well in short... I was wrong hah. I finished it two years later, took such a long time because I didn´t want to spend too much money on a turbo engine and tranny so I got a cheap parts car with a 2l N/A and swapped everything over to the GT as we call it here. Then when it was time for bodywork my friend talked me into buying a turbo swap. So I started again... Swapped everything back out again, don´t regret that at all now lol.

I´m not going into much more detail about the process since I already did a build thread on another forum. But I will show you some pictures though :)

When I found it and got it home. Both front wheels, 4pot brake calipers and something more was missing from the car. Might have been stolen since it was there for 2 years or something...

Home sweet home

I´ll skip over to the turbo stuff... Bought an 2l turbo engine, orginally from a Impreza GT and just like the engine orginally in the car. With the engine I got: 5speed GT Turbo gearbox, 3" exhaust, XS Power headers, 4pot brakes, wire harness, ver6 MOMO Steering wheel, ver6 seats (front and rear), orginal RS/GT 5spokes and some more stuff I´m most likely forgetting.

Did some basic maintaince on the engine, timing belt, waterpump, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, fuel filter changed all oils out for Motul and more.

Then it was time to swap the harness once again...

Sandblasted and got the wheels painted

Then it was time to take it to a shop where I work were my co-workers helped me with the body work.

All ready for primer and paint

Then the assembly

Painted the lower half of the interior black. And yes, I also painted some parts blue, and I personally like it

Custom made licenceplatelightholderplate (is that even a word?!? :lol:)

Custom gauge pod

Gettin it all together

And on the streets for the first time after rebuild! Oh the joy!

And first time back home after rebuild

New lights arrived

Custom licence plate holder I got made for me

On a local carshow last summer

And here is a roof spoiler I bought way back, it is a bit shorter than the window it self so I wasn´t sure if it would look good enough...

This fall I had a minor accident...

But thats fine, I just got a new fender and it gave me a chance to paint some new stuff, new parts, new look

8000k Xenon installation

Blitz BOV istallation with a custom made mounting plate

New gear knob

Got LED´s for the park lights to match the Xenon

Sparco pedals

And the last thing for now, I started making a trunk lip. Made a thread for that here

Mods

Engine/Drivetrain
XS Power headers
Complete 3" exhaust from turbo
Vibrant Muffler
New radiator
K&N Air filter

Suspension/Wheels
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 17x7"
GT 4pots in front
GT 1pot rear
ABS disconnected
PB Coilovers

Exterior
World Rally Blue
Antenna Delete
Full trunk debadge
Black DEPO´s
Black DEPO turn signals in bumper
Black DEPO turn signals in fender
Fog covers
GT/RS spoiler
WRX Roof spoiler
Spare trunk, Debadged
Ver6 Grille
Blue Logo in Grille
8000k Xenon

Interior
Ver6 Seats
Short Shifter
Sparco pedal covers
Auto Gauge Boost Gauge
Auto Gauge Oil Pressure Gauge
Auto Gauge A/F Gauge
Custom painted interior parts
LED´s in interior lights

Radio
JVC Headunit
Pioneer 400w Speaker in the rear
Stock speaker in front for now
JBL 1200w Subwoofer in the trunk
Toxic 2000w Amplifier

Future plans
Megasquirt and a Remap
Manual Boost Controler - Owned
V6, P1 or C-West lip
17x8" +35 Wheels
STi Taillights

Soooo... Hopefully you enjoy reading this thread and viewing the pic´s. The other thread I made is on a Icelandic car forum. My thread is in Icelandic but it has some more pic´s and details.

Icelandic Members Journal

Attachments

See less See more
#255 ·
I guess this time of year is "update time". Now that I'm finally doing something else than looking at the car, this thread might become more enjoyable. Anywho, I'm currently taking parts of the car to prepair for towing and engine pulling. It really looks like I'm gonna have to raise it up before I'll be able to tow it anywhere. The bar that I' gonna use almost sits on the ground when it's attached to the car and if there will be any ice on the street I'll probably not clear it...

Took the intercooler and pipes out. I couldn't help but smile when I looked at that pile and realised how short the piping actually is!

I'll most likely update again tonight when I've gotten more stuff off the car :)

#259 ·
My coils were super nasty so I decided to just take them out and clean them up alittle before adjusting them.

My strut bar ****ed up...

I'm gonna have to make myself a better oil catch can... Would you recommend connecting to vacuum rather than just adding a filter on it and let it breathe?

#264 ·
I got no oil in mine, for except a tiny amount that got in when my turbo ate it all... But ofcourse I shouldn't be getting oil in there since I didn't recirculate the crankcase ventilation. I really just wanna build my own catch can instead of buying one

#266 ·
Oo thats not too bad, and you just reminded me how much I love your setup haha!

Did some more stuff removing. Already feeling alittle intimitaded by the thought of cleaning this mess up, ugly hoses and wires everywhere!

#275 ·
So yesterday was busy. I started with raising the car quite alot to be able to fit the towing thingy and to make sure I wouldn't leave my exhaust on the icy streets somewhere along the way...

Hooked the car up to the Toyota and putted plastic sheet over the engine and hood to keep the snow out

Arrived at the shop after a nerve wrecking drive trough town

Doing some work

Engine dropped in the Toyota

Bootyshot

Backing it in my garage, but when I was trying to correct the angle of the Subaru I got the Cruiser stuck on the ice under the snow so I had to get backup to tow.it in... The diff lock on the Toyota were broken, otherwise I could have just locked it and kept backing up

And because I have no engine hoist to get the engine out, we had to carrie it by ourselfes. That thing is way to heavy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.