Ari's WRB GC8 Turbo Build - Lots of Pics! - Page 8 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
Ari's WRB GC8 Turbo Build - Lots of Pics!

Old 09-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #71
Ariii
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: Loud exhaust!
Trader Rating: (0)

I'm going front mount!
Ariii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #72
Ariii
2.0L Turbo

Yeah well... Haven't updated in a while but about that front mount thing... I guy who was renting a garage with me had a fmic and he was moving so he said he would just give it to me. I was super excited and started to look into front mount setups. Then he moved and didn't leave the cooler and I didn't have his number and ****. So thats kinda not working out as of now... BUT, anyway I still really want to do a fmic setup so I'm still looking into this and planning my setup for next summer. I have plenty of time since the car is stored for the winter.

What I'm going to write next will be sort of a memo for myself and letting you guys know what I plan to do

So the setup I want to do is similar to Birdie's setup but not as much "all the way" thing (you should really check his build thread if you haven't already) Also since my car is a GC the ECU isn't re-mapable so I would either have to get a standalone or get a WRX harness and ECU... That is the option I am leaning towards. I'm really optimistic about getting some decent power out of my stock engine since I had a chat with a guy that had a full WRX swap in his GF8 and he was running 22psi on a stock WRX engine (not built) and a 20G turbo iirc (I actually have no idea what that means, I have never gotten that whole number and letter thing for turbos... I donīt know anything about them ) So I think I might go for a 16-18psi tune if I get what I need and go through with this

So here is what I need to get and what I need to do:

Front mount intercooler
WRX harness
WRX ECU
WRX Intake manifold
WRX Air flow sensor
WRX Oxygen sensor
WRX camshaft pulley (for the ECU to read correct values)
WRX crankshaft pulley (for the same reasons)

Thats all I can remember for now. There will be some more stuff to do since I want to do a reverse intake manifold setup so there will be some custom work and some things to figure out. And I'm not quite sure how the WRX harness swap will work out but I'm still doing some research on this whole thing

Some "up to date" pics I am closer to getting the manifold of now but donīt have any pics of it...

Ohh and the mess is because my steering pump was leaking and thats another thing I am working on, taking care off all the maintaince stuff

Altough much of my time is going into this turd these days. Getting it painted, currently just got the primer on so next up is sanding the primer down and then paint. And of course getting the whole car back together... Having done this before I know I have plenty of work ahead of me

Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #73
kehess
2.5L

Car: '96 OBS
Fav Mod: BBS wheels
Trader Rating: (1)

Car looks awesome. Whatever happened to your trunk lip project?
kehess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #74
Ariii
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehess View Post
Car looks awesome. Whatever happened to your trunk lip project?
It's just on a hold, I always go from one thing to another before even finishing anything lol
Old 11-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #75
Ariii
2.0L Turbo

Well, last night I got my manifold off. I started to think how to do this. I got kinda nervous about all the vacum hoses and that stuff that had to be re-routed but that was mainly because I wanted to give the manifold a little shave and remove all mountings and stuff that didnīt have to be used. Anyway that shouldn't be a problem. I did turn the manifold around to see how it will fit. I still have to remove the harness and fuel lines off so I can get a better idea of how it will be. Also I'm still trying to figure out how I will route the intercooler piping...

Manifold is off

And reversed

And this is a manifold off a 2.0l non turbo engine that I had laying around at home so I mounted it to get an idea of the clearance for the turbo and such

I made this in paint... I was hoping to be able to route the piping from the turbo on the right side and the piping to the intake on the left side but if that won't be possible then this might be an option..

I'm going to do some work tonight and take everything off the turbo manifold and do some more thinking

Old 11-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #76
Ariii
2.0L Turbo

Did some work that night and got everything off the manifold. It fits fine but the hood clearance is <1mm. I am working on removing the turbo to see if it can be rotated so that the pressure side will point to the left but not the right side. Also started to wonder how much boost it can make, I want to run something around 18psi and I think that is just about as much as it can make. It might be a good idea to try and find a STi turbo... And some bigger injectors might also be needed.

Then there is the problem to get the car mapped... I'm thinking that WRX harness will be to much of an effort and cost compared to a standalone ECU. I have been looking into Megasquirt II and I am leaning towards getting one.

Here are some pics because, what would an update be without pics right?

As you can see there are plenty of cutting to do on the manifold to get it to look nice...

Also... Got the Celica painted this weekend And dear god do I love that colour!

2 of my 3 cars inside my garage, both with a shiny looking paint

Old 11-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #77
Ariii
2.0L Turbo

I did some work tonight Removed the turbo to see if the housing could be rotated, which is can. There is actually a tiny pin on the housing that goes through a hole to keep the housing in place and keep it from rotating. I will have to drill a new hole for that pin.

Here you can see the pin, it is below the second bolt hole

Damn this thing is tiny though...

But, when I got the housing of I saw that the thing I donīt know what is called (I am reaching my English knowledge limit here lol) was damaged...

I guess I'm crazy lucky because I have no idea were the piece is... I didn't hear anything moving in the cooler when I shaked it and it is definitely not in the manifold...
The car wasn't even having boost issues, every single thing was just fine and it worked fine. So maybe I can just use it again..?

Old 11-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #78
salvi
3.3L

Car: 2000 RS
Fav Mod: intake
Trader Rating: (11)

Blades have been hitting the housing, I would get the turbo/cartridge replaced.
salvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #79
Ariii
2.0L Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvi View Post
Blades have been hitting the housing, I would get the turbo/cartridge replaced.
Yeah but the housing doesn't look damaged at all... Anyway I'm planning to get a new turbo.

I wanted to upgrade to a bigger turbo but I didn't plan on doing it until next summer. I got offered a used STi turbo for $800, it was supposed to have been rebuilt 1000km ago. I started searching for turbos on Ebay and found a cheap 20G turbo (from china) for $275. It'll cost me around $400 with shipping and additional costs so I am seriously thinking about buying it. I know it is probably not a quality turbo and won't last as long as more expensive onces but I don't really care...

As far as tuning the car goes I have been looking into MegaSquirt but I don't really know what to go with... A friend who had a car like mine told me he sent his ECU to Britain and got it modified by EcuTek so it could be reprogrammed and tuned and it costed far less than a MegaSquirt. I will have to look into that a bit...

I don't have any update'd pics of the car but I got this in the mail yesterday, the COTM Prize I won in June, finally

Old 02-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #80
Ariii
2.0L Turbo

Hey guys not much has happend since the last post but I'm still going to give you a little update. I was working on the Celica and the plan is to sell it in the summer. It's almost finished but I haven't been doing much work on it lately because of my Outback. I had to get that thing through inspection and there were a few things I had to fix. Then I decided to paint it (with a paint roller, don't judge it's just a beater ). A few days ago I ordered an intercooler which will hopefully show up early march and then I'll order a turbo. Decided to go for a china made no name 20G turbo which does although have a 1 year warranty. If it blows up on me so be it, it is dirt cheap and I have no expensive internals in the engine to damage. Once the cooler gets here I'll start working on the setup and get my friend to make some pipes for it Anyway, what is an update without pics right? Sorry there aren't that many of the GC but hope you enjoy them. Ohh and btw, I tried plasti dipping the 5 spokes yellow and I rather like it so that might be a spare set for next summer. And I scored a strutbrace

The GC and the Toyota chillin in the garage

Gave the Outback some love, then lifted it and painted it orange

And the plasti dipped 5 spokes