My 2004 2.5RS - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
My 2004 2.5RS

Old 02-27-2014, 05:23 AM   #41
04_2.5RS
2.7L

Fav Mod: Mud flaps ;)
Trader Rating: (1)

FINALLY got the car back from the shop, they did HG, got the heads resurfaced, all belts, idlers, pulleys, water pump, bunch of random little things...

only thing they didn't install thatI had in the box of parts was the rear main seal and the wheel bearing... they said extra $350 for the rear main and $250 for the wheel bearing...

I really didn't have the money so I put it off for now.. but I plan on doing the wheel bearing ASAP though...

Either way the CEL I had is still on because it wasn't related to the HG at all...

it's code P0447, I looked it up and most say the wires going into the charcoal canister get disconnected/corroded...

I just am wondering, what is the result of this? a solenoid is stuck open or closed?
Is it just a waste of fuel or is it bad for the car to run like this for too long?

I got the car back yesterday afternoon, this morning I noticed a STRONG gas smell in the car and when you get outside as well... I had the heat on full blast so I turned it down to see if that lessened the smell and it did, so I guess the smell is coming from the engine bay?

Could the shop have forgotten to do a connection somewhere or something when they put it all back together?
Or is it more likely that I am smelling it because of the CEL I have?
04_2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #42
ShinjiML
2.7L

Car: 2002 WRB WRX
Fav Mod: Stage 2; Swift Springs

The charcoal canister is part of the evap system and shouldn't cause a fuel smell from your engine bay, nor should it affect the car's performance, but a bad canister could make it hard to pump gas properly. The gas smell sounds like a loose fuel hose, as in fuel might be dripping onto your engine block. Maybe they didn't properly tighten down one of the lines that come off of the fuel rail when they were putting everything back together.
ShinjiML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #43
04_2.5RS
2.7L

thanks man, would I be able to check this out by just looking under the hood?

Also, I looked at the charcoal canister and the connector and this is what I found..

where can I buy another one of these connectors? Do I have to buy it straight from subaru or can I get one from a auto parts store like pep boys?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #44
ShinjiML
2.7L

Check under the hood with the engine on. Look around the intake manifold runners to see if you can find where it's dripping.

You can have a dealership look at it, but the wires themselves seem to be OK and still connected. The CEL could be due to a bad canister.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #45
04_2.5RS
2.7L

that pic isn't the best but the white (lighter color?) wire is actually completely exposed... the insulation of the wire is almost completely gone...

I will try to get a better pic, sorry...
Old 02-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #46
ShinjiML
2.7L

I know the wire is exposed and it doesn't look pretty, but I was just saying that unless that wire is cut, is loose, or the connection is rusted, the connection should still be OK and probably not causing the CEL. I would probably just clean it up and wrap it up with lots of electrical tape.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #47
04_2.5RS
2.7L

it kinda is, when I say insulation, I don't mean the outer black insulation I mean the insulation personal to that white wire.. I can see the white insulation ripped up and everything... I guess I will go tape it all up start the car and see if it still throws the code..

either way do you know if I can buy that wire harness/connector at a regular auto store like pep boys?

thanks a lot man, I appreciate the quick responses. I can get any answers on nasioc... I guess when you own STi's you need to work all day to pay a car like that off so no time for forums during the day LOL

but seriously, thanks...!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #48
ShinjiML
2.7L

Hmmm is the wire loose? If it's loose, try to push it in and see if that fixes it. The CEL would be caused by a loose or cut wire. If it stays loose No matter what you do, you may need to splice a new connector in.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #49
04_2.5RS
2.7L

I think I'm gonna need a new connector but I'll try to go push it in and tape it up...

where would I have to go for that connector?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #50
ShinjiML
2.7L

Without going to the dealership, I'd say try to find it from a part out car. I'm pretty sure a GD 2.5rs and wrx share this part, but might be a good idea to call up a dealership to confirm the part number between the WRX and RS and to check if they can order just the connector, just in case.

Edit: I looked around and couldn't find that connector listed individually in Subaru parts websites.

Last edited by ShinjiML; 02-27-2014 at 07:55 AM..