Got the fmic piping connected and a few other things done. Was able to take it for a short drive. Still lots of work on the VE table to do, but itís running decent so far.
Was really easy to make the piping work. 90 off the turbo, straight piece, and a 45. I did have to add that small piece because the 45 was barely too short, but oh well. Still eliminated 225* worth of bends, about 2 feet of piping, and a coupler compared to before.
Donít think I showed this when I did the fmic piping the first time. DIY bead roller from a wire crimper. Thereís a few ways online to make them. If youíre doing a lot of piping it gets tiring to use, but itís effective and cheap.
Also slapped on an intake filter and small section of pipe. Eventually I will put the filter in the fender but thisíll work for now.
Engine bay is a little more cleaned up, but still needs the catch cans and other stuff routed.
Yea it works really well, just hurts your hand after a while if you gotta do a lot. I donít like how it leaves that 1/4Ē of pipe after the bead, but I just gotta modify the crimper a little more to fix that so the bead is closer to the end of the pipe.
Works on steel too. Much easier with aluminum though
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction!
Originally Posted by bue car
Just slap the filter on the turbo.
Filter would probably hit the hood cause the angle of the turbo Itís close as it is with the 45 pointing down.
Finally got it out the other day for some test drives. Going right from maf to SD is a big difference. Still early stages of my VE table, but Iím surprised at the drivability so far. Idle is damn near perfect, no hesitation or anything weird yet during cruise. Only took it to about 4-5 psi and everything looked normal there.
Thankfully I can change the whole VE table in realtime and not have to reflash for every little adjustment. The live tracing is cool too....might have to have a friend drive for me while I dial it in. Would save a lot of time.
Still need to plumb the EWG/BCS, make the wastegate dump tube, and put the wideband somewhere before I can start actually getting into boost. Hopefully do that stuff soon, and start playing around with the different wastegate springs.
Got the eBay catch cans mounted up. Didnít really work out how I wanted because of where the ports are and limited room....but theyíll work for now. The one with 3/4Ē hose is for the crankcase. I wanted the larger hose size for the crankcase to help it vent as easy as possible. PCV is blocked off.
Atleast it all blends in pretty well with the dark engine bay.
Keep an eye out for oil vapors all over your brkae booster as well, those little 'filters' suck haha. I would T them into the exhaust myself for vacuum.
Yea plan is to see how oily it gets. Also smell too since itís right by the cabin air vent. If itís too bad Iíll probably run a hose from each under the car somewhere. Donít think Iím gonna try the exhaust scavenge. Seems like it can pull vacuum well if you angle it right, but then the back of the car gets oily.