2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction! - Page 6 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction!

Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #51
Maximilian
2.0L

Fav Mod: Fuzzy Dice
Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan77 View Post
Haha, it's almost the opposite....I wish I had an RS so I don't have to do the rear disc conversion....the Jesus bolts are gonna be really fun.

Why do you regret rebuilding your ej205?
I regret rebuilding my ej205 because it's a long, arduous, nerve wracking, frustrating, and expensive process. But I beefed it up, so it's not all bad. The biggest problem has been remembering how everything went. I started the motor in school, so I took it apart in august, and am just now putting it back together. CP pistons, sti rods, king bearings, cross drilled crank. About $1600 in the shortblock, on top of the initial cost of the complete engine, crossmember, sway bar, and harness ($1500), then the UEL header (ebay unit, got it for free) up-pipe (used $100) downpipe (cnt-$280) and catback ($250 used SRS) makes the total cost about $3,730. About the same price as the car.
Maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #52
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
Fav Mod: Ej205

Quote:
Originally Posted by steezin_and_wheezin View Post
Been following along with this one, love the attention to detail on the smalls!
Thanks!
I just like to explain how and why I did things.....and it helps me keep track of how and why I did things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
one of the very few build threads i've read from top to bottom. i like.
Thanks!
I've been following your thread for a long time....always a good read. The turbo'd ej22 set up is sweet....hopefully you get all the kinks worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl206 View Post
Awesome direction you're going!

Motivation for the rest of us!

I'm doing the same thing w/ mine, cleaning it up, getting rid of the unnecessary weight and cleaning up rust. It's been in WA state it's whole life but there's quite a bit of rust still, good work though!
Thanks!

That's the only thing about GC's I hate...the rust! My rear 1/4 panel rust actually just started this year.....I saw it starting to bubble up over the summer. At least it managed to hold off 14 years of northeast winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
I regret rebuilding my ej205 because it's a long, arduous, nerve wracking, frustrating, and expensive process. But I beefed it up, so it's not all bad. The biggest problem has been remembering how everything went. I started the motor in school, so I took it apart in august, and am just now putting it back together. CP pistons, sti rods, king bearings, cross drilled crank. About $1600 in the shortblock, on top of the initial cost of the complete engine, crossmember, sway bar, and harness ($1500), then the UEL header (ebay unit, got it for free) up-pipe (used $100) downpipe (cnt-$280) and catback ($250 used SRS) makes the total cost about $3,730. About the same price as the car.

Well like you said, its not all bad because you'll have a fresh engine.....definitely worth it in the end.

If I can ever find a 91-94 turbo leggy at the junkyard...I'll take it's super awesome engine and rebuild the bottom end to have a spare block....and eventually do a 205/22t hybrid.
RavensFan77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #53
25rscoupe
1.8L

Fav Mod: Exhaust
Trader Rating: (0)

How are you running an access port for your rs? Is it because its Wrx swapped?
25rscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:25 PM   #54
sooch
2.0L Turbo

Fav Mod: 20k
Trader Rating: (14)

love what youre doing. FYI I removed my front and rear bumper beams on my old car. I bet i lost like 50lbs total. Its crazy how little metal is in those jdm ones.
sooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:18 AM   #55
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25rscoupe View Post
How are you running an access port for your rs? Is it because its Wrx swapped?

Yeah, the ecu and wiring allows the Accessport to hook right up as if it were a WRX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooch View Post
love what youre doing. FYI I removed my front and rear bumper beams on my old car. I bet i lost like 50lbs total. Its crazy how little metal is in those jdm ones.

Thanks.

I've decided to just cut the front one when I get my new bumper...to have some protection up front....and maybe get a JDM one for the rear.

Next weight reduction will be a catback....the oem wrx one is really heavy because of the muffler....so an aftermarket one should help me drop 10-15 lbs or so.

Just don't know which one to go with yet.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #56
Tsidreams
3.3L

Car: EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
Fav Mod: DRIVER

make a custom "cat-back". make it go above the hangers in the rear, then you can go straight through the bumper, it's rally amazing.

Like mine! except, I might recomend a little more subtle cutting of the bumper.

ps, yes i removed my spare tire well for a sheet of aluminum as well.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #57
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Default 2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | lightweight daily driver project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsidreams View Post
it's rally amazing.

...I also want to keep a quiet exhaust, so my catback choice is pretty limited. I can't weld either, so that throws out making my own.

Right now...it's basically a stock WRX exhaust system....the ONLY aftermarket part is the Cobb catted downpipe. It's just as quiet as the ej22 with stock exhaust was.

I hate to hop on the Cobb bandwagon....but their catback is supposed to be quiet and about 10 lbs or so lighter than the OEM wrx one....I just need to find a used one.....but I still don't know....

Last edited by RavensFan77; 12-15-2014 at 06:25 AM..
Old 12-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #58
bigjoshsubyfan
2.2L

Trader Rating: (4)

Looks like a fun build man keep it up.
bigjoshsubyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #59
Maximilian
2.0L

Fav Mod: Fuzzy Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan77 View Post
Well like you said, its not all bad because you'll have a fresh engine.....definitely worth it in the end.

If I can ever find a 91-94 turbo leggy at the junkyard...I'll take it's super awesome engine and rebuild the bottom end to have a spare block....and eventually do a 205/22t hybrid.
Yeah, as long as I get every detail right.

As for the ej22t, I have thought about that often. I would love to have a 22b replica.
Maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #60
RallySport Direct
Account Closed For Now

Car: We are Open Late7 Days a week!
Fav Mod: 1-888-457-2559
Trader Rating: (24)

What a well executed build. Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

Jeff
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote