2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction! - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:59 AM   #41
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

Sub'd for future reading. Great work so far mang!

I'm not much help on the CEL, but here's a decent write up on the same code for a subaru TS
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #42
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
Fav Mod: Ej205
Trader Rating: (1)

Thanks for the link. I found a helpful bit about the test mode connectors I didn't see when I read that page yesterday. I spent a good couple hours reading around different Subaru forums but didn't find much.

I still can't figure out which solenoid is the "vent control solenoid valve" the CEL refers to.

Last night I dropped the charcoal canister down and removed one of the solenoids. Nothing seemed obviously wrong but I ran out of daylight so I put it back together.

Today I'm gonna completely remove the charcoal canister and check it out. I'm also gonna remove and inspect every hose back there to check for blockage.

Not sure what else to do besides that....
RavensFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #43
King Ding187
1.8L

Check out the diagram in the link below. Based on that I would be looking for item #24.

Fuel piping
King Ding187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #44
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Default 2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | lightweight daily driver project

So the past month or so I've been having random issues....the EVAP cel, brake issues, oil randomly burning, and some other stuff. I just wanted to thank everyone on here that's helped me cause this stuff gets frustrating.
....but I've also gotten some things done I've wanted to do for a while.

Winter is here though, so the snow tires and winter wheels are on....definitely needs taller tires.

For the p1443 I took all the EVAP stuff apart and made sure there was no blockage, and made GOOD connections on ALL the hoses....to hopefully rule out a small vac leak. I also replaced the gas cap for shits and giggles.

It was off for 1,000 miles then came back last week....so I don't know what to do there. It's been off since then, but we'll see how long it lasts.

2 weeks ago a brake cylinder decided to explode on me....while replacing that and bleeding the brakes, I broke the bleeder off the other wheel cylinder...so I had to replace that too. One of the calipers up front was dragging too...so I greased it all up and replaced all the pads up front.

That should hold me off for brakes until spring....then I'm overhauling ALL the brakes....discs in rear for sure.

There's still some other issues...but I'm just keeping an eye on everything and trying to get it through winter. After winter I should finally be able to get a spare GC for when this one has problems. Then I'll have 2 GC impreza's and be happy.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 12-07-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Old 12-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #45
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Default 2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | lightweight daily driver project

Had a long Thanksgiving weekend off work, and was able to get some things installed/done. I installed a GD impreza master cylinder brace, smaller fuel filter, deleted the antenna, and finally relocated the battery.

Then I re-did the POS wire for the battery relocation yesterday. At first I used rubber/metal conduit, with 1AWG THHN wire....now I used all plastic conduit and fine stranded audio/battery cable.

Engine bay is starting to look better:

--Battery relocation

The conduit is mounted at the box, firewall, and engine bay.....the other clamps are attached to the center console trim, but are just to keep it in place. Overall, the wire is very secure and protected.

I was able to use a normal j-hook set up for the tie down. It just uses two pieces of aluminum that basically sandwich the battery and keep it from moving....again the box is just to hold the wires and breaker....the structure is all in the frame I bolted to the floor.

I used a seat rail bolt for the NEG wire. I made sure it was ALL bare metal with a wire wheel....bolted it down good....then sprayed a layer of Rustoleum to prevent rust.

--Master cylinder brace and fuel filter

Figured I would try one out....I'd say it helped the pedal feel a little bit...cool piece to have too. I bought a Perrin one for a GD knowing it wouldn't fit....but I made it work.

The oem fuel filter was obviously in the way....and I recently saw some people with a smaller inline filter....so I bought one online. It's from a company called JEGS, and is about the size of a D-battery.

The Perrin brace has 3 mounting holes...2 line up perfect where the fuel filter bracket was....but the 3rd needed a hole drilled. The set screw/bolt was also too short so I picked up a longer one from a hardware store. Feels solid.

--Antenna delete

Used the Grimmspeed block off plate. Pretty easy...the antenna just pulled right out. Took the a-pillar cover off for no reason.

...and here's the little bit of weight reduction from the past month. I know I added weight with the battery relocation....but I still like to keep track of the stuff I remove. I should be into the 2600's again....I just need to go get weighed

Last edited by RavensFan77; 12-07-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Old 12-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #46
Maximilian
2.0L

Fav Mod: Fuzzy Dice

Your car makes me wish I had gotten an L rather than an RS. And that I had chosen to not rebuild my EJ205.
Maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #47
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
Your car makes me wish I had gotten an L rather than an RS. And that I had chosen to not rebuild my EJ205.

Haha, it's almost the opposite....I wish I had an RS so I don't have to do the rear disc conversion....the Jesus bolts are gonna be really fun.

Why do you regret rebuilding your ej205?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #48
steezin_and_wheezin
Premium Member

Fav Mod: ej205
Trader Rating: (8)

Been following along with this one, love the attention to detail on the smalls!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #49
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

one of the very few build threads i've read from top to bottom. i like.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #50
rl206
1.8L

Car: 1997 OBS
Fav Mod: STOCK
Trader Rating: (0)

Awesome direction you're going!

Motivation for the rest of us!

I'm doing the same thing w/ mine, cleaning it up, getting rid of the unnecessary weight and cleaning up rust. It's been in WA state it's whole life but there's quite a bit of rust still, good work though!
rl206 is offline   Reply With Quote