2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction! - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #21
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
Fav Mod: Ej205
Trader Rating: (1)
Default 2001 Subaru MoneyPit (Impreza L)

No a/c again (or p/s), and I think I can use the same 27" belt like on my ej22 from crank to alternator. My tensioner should be here in a couple days so I'll know for sure.
Part# 4PK0695 2K474

The crank position sensor's connector must have been broken or something because the wires are spliced in, and there's no connector! Just wires onto the terminals.
(There was putty surrounding it to keep out dust but still)

So I gotta splice in a connector...

I cleaned up the intercooler and straightened some fins....then ended up cleaning a lot of the engine with a wire brush. The flash kinda exaggerates it, but it's much cleaner than before.

I'm using my lightweight pulley and have other stuff on the way so this is just a mock up:

For some reason the a/c delete plug doesn't fit in my firewall, so I put it onto the part that comes through the firewall....eh, close enough:

Last edited by RavensFan77; 05-26-2014 at 09:53 PM..
RavensFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #22
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Been doing maintenance and other things on the engine while I wait for parts....might as well while I have it on the stand.

-I got my alternator tensioner so I can confirm it works for the 27" belt I have...then I cut up the bracket a little.

-Was sent a slightly damaged wrx alternator....but it ended up being an STi, 90 amp one...Win?

-Also made an attempt at an alternator cover...not sure if I want to run with or without a cover though:

Here's maintenance I did over the weekend:
-complete valve cover job
-spark plugs
-oil filter
-replaced rusty oil cooler hardline
-cleaned parts/bolts
-painted parts/bolts

-Grabbed a few extras too....upgrading is too easy sometimes....Stock y-pipe is dumb so I went silicone, and why buy a stock old DP?
-This one has no shields and is already ceramic coated.

-Sprayed and test fit this thing into my car for the boost solenoid and those sensors:

...and here's just a random shot of the engine so far. The guy is sending me a new intake mani and wiring harness because that crank sensor is all messed up....so I should probably do TGV deletes while its apart.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 06-08-2014 at 09:02 PM..
Old 06-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #23
LifelessViet
Enthusiast

Fav Mod: weight reduction
Trader Rating: (38)

I absolutely love what your doing to the car man!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:00 AM   #24
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Thanks!

Since I needed to replace the engine harness due to broken connectors and stuff, the manifold had to come off no matter what.

New harness had more broken connectors so I soldered ones from the other harness....I also installed a one piece turbo inlet and did TGV deletes while it was all apart. I kept the GBOD off too.

I was kinda lazy with the deletes and didn't cut out the divider wall, but I knife edged it and smoothed down that lip on the inside. I also used the weldless delete kit from ks tech....I put on some sealant and red loctite to help make sure it won't leak.

I smoothed and cleaned them up more before install:

Then it got sketchy when I did my first timing belt.....DOHC is a little tricky.

I pulled the grimmspeed crank pulley off the ej22 to put on the ej20....that pulley tool really comes in handy:

I replaced some more hoses , tucked a few wires, and routed this pcv line....the new inlet relocated it:

....and another shot of the engine. Just a few more things to check over and install and it'll be ready.....big thing is the clutch...I hope the 06 wrx stuff works:

Last edited by RavensFan77; 06-23-2014 at 09:40 AM..
Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #25
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Two weeks ago I got news my harness was on the way back so I started that Friday after work. I didn't make my weekend timeline, but I had all the new stuff in besides the wiring harness that weekend. So last week I finished up the wiring and all of the engine bay stuff.

Started it up last Saturday....started first try .....but after the first minute or so it has been misfiring and idling really bad.

Had it running OK a few times for a few very short test drives....but it didn't do well. Just really annoying because the swap is done and runs, but I cant drive it.

Replaced lots of things so far, tightened every clamp, cleaned every ground....could still be so many things. Tried stuff every day this week with no luck. Still misfiring after it warms up and idling really rough the whole time. I hope to figure it out this weekend.

I have to thank you guys for all the help...95% of the info for the swap came from here and all the random questions I ask you guys.

Here's a few pictures of the swap and stuff, I didnt take that many....that's the last one I do on a gravel driveway with no air tools.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 07-10-2014 at 08:01 PM..
Old 07-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #26
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Day 14 of trouble-shooting:

Been trying stuff EVERY day since start-up...

Today I tried a different silicone y-pipe that fits better and secured some other hoses with zip ties and clamps. Re-checked timing for the 1,000th time and it still hates me.
Still can't drive it....still misfires and hesitates/stumbles BAD.

It was idling soooo nice....then like clockwork as soon as the ecu re-learned everything and warmed up...BAM misfires.

I'm almost out of ideas....here's what I've replaced so far:

-MAF
-coolant temp sensor
-cam position sensor
-crank position sensor
-fuel filter
-all 4 injectors
-all 4 coil packs

Parts that were brand new when I dropped the engine in:

-spark plugs, NGK platinum
-front 02
-rear 02
-knock sensor
-pcv valve

Knock sensor is torqued correctly and in the right position. Confirmed the front 02 is getting 12v.

Re-checked all hoses tons of times...even tried the carb cleaner method and had no effect.

Checked and secured all grounds.

Losing. My. Mind.

----------

Anyways...here's a few other things from the swap weekend:

I removed the keyless entry unit....never plan on setting it up, and now the lights don't flash and stuff after I remove and re-connect the battery terminals! ....its a little weight reduction too:

Here's the down pipe and rear shot with the wrx exhaust. I will be ordering a turbo blanket here soon:

Last edited by RavensFan77; 07-19-2014 at 06:00 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #27
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Day 22:

Still haven't figured much out. I've been shooting ideas around with people and it's easier for me to keep all the things I've tried and replaced here, because I keep losing my lists.

-Cylinder 3 must foul the plug almost instantly. Smells mostly of fuel but is oily....
Before the leakdown test I threw in a new plug...but after it warmed up and I took the plug back out....it was already black.

-Did a compression test last week.
150-155 across all 4.

After it got to operating temp for the compression test, it threw codes for cylinder 3 and 4 misfires.....only those, and it didn't blink this time. Really confusing how the misfire codes are so random.

-Did a leakdown test today.

All 4 leaked at about the same rate....nothing pointing to a problem anywhere or specifically to cylinder 3.

....although.....there is an "air escaping" noise right where the tester screws into the spark plug hole on cylinders 1 & 3.....louder at cylinder 1....no noise on cylinder 2 & 4.

Cracked head is a new possibility.

-I put the interior on the back burner with the engine issues....the first 2 weeks I just had the cluster zip tied to the dash bar.

I will be mounting the fuel pump controller in the glovebox somehow. The normal location makes me nervous since it gets pretty warm.
...some of the days I was puzzled I spent putting the interior back together.
Got the airbags hooked back up and the main stuff in:

Last edited by RavensFan77; 07-27-2014 at 07:08 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #28
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Default '01 SRP Impreza L | now WRX swapped | 2600 lbs | Daily driver

Finally figured out the issue last week. I exhausted every option and test I could try...I took it to the awesome dudes at AndrewTech and they were able to narrow it down to the ecu or map/tune. They put a scope on the wires and injector 3 was basically staying open twice as long.....making it super rich in that cylinder...making stuff go crazy like it was. So they threw in another ecu laying around with a stock map...and it ran perfect!!

So the tuner wrote a slightly different map, and it's running pretty good....boost and everything. Don't know if it was the tune, accessport error, or download error on my laptop....but oh well. I picked up a spare ecu yesterday just in case.

Driving impressions.....awesome. Just awesome.
I never owned a wrx/STi, or any turbo car for that matter...but this ej205 feels pretty quick to me.
I've been driving the ej22 in this car since I started driving, so it's quite the noticeable upgrade. Boosting in turns with no power steering is a handful.

The 06+ wrx clutch seems to be working fine in my older cable transmission. Still breaking in the clutch so I haven't done any WOT pulls, but the little td04 gives all the boost early so I've been getting a good feel for it....and the sound is too great. The exhaust is quiet like I wanted with the stock wrx catback....but between the downpipe and turbo inlet, I can hear the turbo very well.

-Friday I finally got my alignment and was super close to spec after installing the new steering rack on the new crossmember. One side was within spec, but the other out....pretty good for using a tape measure.

-This weekend I worked on stopping the downpipe from rattling on the transmission crossmember. It was literally resting on it and banging around a lot.

I used a BFH to dent the crossmember and downpipe slightly, grinded some of the crossmember away, and re-adjusted the downpipe to get clearance. Should be fine for a while...pics are before and after:

-Heres a random picture of the new front end stuff:

-I mounted the fuel pump controller behind the glovebox. Not sure if it's my permanent location....it gets pretty hot and I'm unsure where I want it to be:

-Here is the rest of the keyless entry delete. If you unplug the whole harness for it like I showed in the last post, you only need to loop 2 wires for the power door locks to work.....red with green, and blue with white....they everything works like normal.

-I was forced to buy new battery tie down j-hooks. I also cleaned up the tie down and some other things in the bay. Also changed the oil again, just cause....and rotated the tires.

Gonna try to take it easy for a while....make sure it's all working and I installed everything right. Next things are a boost guage and wideband....also a turbo blanket very soon.

...and most importantly....getting back to more weight reduction!

Last edited by RavensFan77; 08-10-2014 at 08:17 PM..
Old 08-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #29
Tsidreams
3.3L

Car: EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
Fav Mod: DRIVER

This is a great build thread. Keep up the good work. I'm a big fan of the clean oem look, and the lightwieght approch. That's how you can usually tell it's a driver's car oppose to the typicale subaru swap, (low, lots of power, body kits/lips..)
Old 08-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #30
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Default 2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | lightweight daily driver project

Thanks!

I'll do lips/spats/side skirts later on....right now they would just get destroyed by the roads. The only exterior, body changes I'd like to do is the v1-v3 (I think) front bumper. I'll do that when I get the car resprayed eventually.
This bumper:

As far as the lightweight stuff goes....well it just got more difficult.
I weighed it yesterday for the first time since the swap, and I'm basically back at stock weight.

Pre-swap: 2640~
Post-swap: 2730~

I'm running out of stuff I can safely remove/lighten since it's a daily. There are some spendy options left...battery is happening soonish:

-lightweight battery --> 20-30 lbs
-lighter exhaust --> ??
-aluminum hood --> ??
-lighter seats --> ??

If I get that v1-3 bumper I'll need to change the front beam somehow...light bumper beams would help A LOT, but those make me nervous....I could cut my front one to keep some strength instead of the JDM one I guess.

Was shooting for 2500's....but now I'd just like to be back in the 2600's.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 03-14-2015 at 09:02 AM..