Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction!

189K views 1K replies 66 participants last post by  bue car 
#1 · (Edited)
This is mostly the progress of my srp 2001 L coupe, but also some 98L and 2018 brz stuff.

Backstory:

I got the car in August 2011 with 100,500 miles. It was my first car, and it had lots of problems at the start. Almost sold it a few times, but once I read about all the swap stuff, I decided I had to keep it.

I messed with weight reduction, and fixing/upgrading the suspension while I gathered funds for the swap...lots of maintenance too...although the ej22 ran strong the whole time. It really was bulletproof. I had to have the transmission rebuilt, but was finally was able to start the swap summer 2014 and I got an ej205 in and running.

Fall of 2015 it was totaled (not my fault) and I spent a year slowly fixing the car myself with no collision experience. After tons of spot welds, test fits, wiring, and double checking......I got the car inspected and legal to drive again in November 2016, with a reconstructed title.

2017 and on will be dedicated to rust repairs,weight reduction, and self tuning.

Here are some up to date pictures, regardless of the different seasons:

The goods:

ENGINE:

-USDM 02/03 ej205 (6/28/14)

-TGV deletes

-Grimmspeed catless uppipe, ceramic coated

-Cobb catted downpipe, ceramic coated

-02-05 wrx, Invidia q300 catback

-STi oil pan

-KillerB oil pick-up tube

-Avo turbo inlet

-lighter crank pulley, and no p/s or a/c pulleys

-Protune by Jermaine @TurboXS

-v3 accessport

-iWire merged harness

TRANSMISSION:

-'01 5mt (3.9) and cable clutch;
AndrewTech rebuild

-custom reinforced clutch fork

-'01 (oem) TOB, and pivot ball

-'06+ wrx clutch

-'06+ wrx pressure plate

-'06+ wrx flywheel

-TiC shifter linkage update and pivot bushings

SUSPENSION / HANDLING

-KYB excel-g struts (2/2/14)

-Eibach pro-kit springs 2/2/14)

-Group N front top hats (2/2/14)

-3/8 saggy butt spacers (2/2/14)

-18mm Outback rear sway bar

-20mm WRX wagon front sway bar (6/28/14)

-JDM GC8 crossmember (6/28/14)

-Whiteline steering rack bushings (6/28/14)

-Whiteline rear endlink bushings

-group N front-of-trailing arm bushings

-power steering delete

WEIGHT REDUCTION&DISTRIBUTION:

-Currently about 2690~ lbs.
-***Was at 2590, but the turbo engine swap and a full-size spare added well over 100 lbs back.

-Aluminum jdm gc8 hood

-USDM front bumper beam cut in half

-deleted a/c

-deleted power steering

-washer fluid tank relocated to trunk

-battery relocated to back seat

-removed hunk of metal from glovebox and under dash

-removed most sound deadening

-stripped trunk besides spare

-lighter wheels

-removed keyless entry system

-random little things. More soon.

----------

Here's the progress from the beginning mostly in order. I'm going to add in some dates/mileage later on. Bear with the potato pictures for the first few pages. I eventually got a digital camera, and now a DSLR, so the pictures get progressively better in quality.

Warning, picture heavy:

-Bought late August of 2011, bone stock.

--some actual wheels to replace the steelies and decent tires too.

16x7 with 205/50-16 Conti DW

--This is the oldest pic I have of my car, and the only pic from the beach driving I have left.

--Rally armors, which get used on a daily basis on PA's crazy roads :unamused:

--Homemade light bar that mounts 2 hella 500's

How it looked last winter:

--Polyurethane rear end link bushings

This is when I learned how hard pressing bushings is.....

--New outer tie rods, ball joints, and front wheel bearings.

This is when I learned to hate wheel bearings and ball joints......

This is a ball joint removal tool......mine were really stuck.

j

See less See more
#28 · (Edited)
'01 SRP Impreza L | now WRX swapped | 2600 lbs | Daily driver

Finally figured out the issue last week. I exhausted every option and test I could try...I took it to the awesome dudes at AndrewTech and they were able to narrow it down to the ecu or map/tune. They put a scope on the wires and injector 3 was basically staying open twice as long.....making it super rich in that cylinder...making stuff go crazy like it was. So they threw in another ecu laying around with a stock map...and it ran perfect!! :banana:

So the tuner wrote a slightly different map, and it's running pretty good....boost and everything. :banana: Don't know if it was the tune, accessport error, or download error on my laptop....but oh well. I picked up a spare ecu yesterday just in case.

Driving impressions.....awesome. Just awesome.
I never owned a wrx/STi, or any turbo car for that matter...but this ej205 feels pretty quick to me. :D
I've been driving the ej22 in this car since I started driving, so it's quite the noticeable upgrade. Boosting in turns with no power steering is a handful.

The 06+ wrx clutch seems to be working fine in my older cable transmission. Still breaking in the clutch so I haven't done any WOT pulls, but the little td04 gives all the boost early so I've been getting a good feel for it....and the sound is too great. The exhaust is quiet like I wanted with the stock wrx catback....but between the downpipe and turbo inlet, I can hear the turbo very well.

-Friday I finally got my alignment and was super close to spec after installing the new steering rack on the new crossmember. One side was within spec, but the other out....pretty good for using a tape measure. ;)

-This weekend I worked on stopping the downpipe from rattling on the transmission crossmember. It was literally resting on it and banging around a lot.

I used a BFH to dent the crossmember and downpipe slightly, grinded some of the crossmember away, and re-adjusted the downpipe to get clearance. Should be fine for a while...pics are before and after:

-Heres a random picture of the new front end stuff:

-I mounted the fuel pump controller behind the glovebox. Not sure if it's my permanent location....it gets pretty hot and I'm unsure where I want it to be:

-Here is the rest of the keyless entry delete. If you unplug the whole harness for it like I showed in the last post, you only need to loop 2 wires for the power door locks to work.....red with green, and blue with white....they everything works like normal.

-I was forced to buy new battery tie down j-hooks. I also cleaned up the tie down and some other things in the bay. Also changed the oil again, just cause....and rotated the tires.

Gonna try to take it easy for a while....make sure it's all working and I installed everything right. Next things are a boost guage and wideband....also a turbo blanket very soon.

...and most importantly....getting back to more weight reduction!

#29 ·
This is a great build thread. Keep up the good work. I'm a big fan of the clean oem look, and the lightwieght approch. That's how you can usually tell it's a driver's car oppose to the typicale subaru swap, (low, lots of power, body kits/lips..)

#30 · (Edited)
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | lightweight daily driver project

Thanks!

I'll do lips/spats/side skirts later on....right now they would just get destroyed by the roads. The only exterior, body changes I'd like to do is the v1-v3 (I think) front bumper. I'll do that when I get the car resprayed eventually.
This bumper:

As far as the lightweight stuff goes....well it just got more difficult. :lol:
I weighed it yesterday for the first time since the swap, and I'm basically back at stock weight.

Pre-swap: 2640~
Post-swap: 2730~

I'm running out of stuff I can safely remove/lighten since it's a daily. There are some spendy options left...battery is happening soonish:

-lightweight battery --> 20-30 lbs
-lighter exhaust --> ??
-aluminum hood --> ??
-lighter seats --> ??

If I get that v1-3 bumper I'll need to change the front beam somehow...light bumper beams would help A LOT, but those make me nervous....I could cut my front one to keep some strength instead of the JDM one I guess.

Was shooting for 2500's....but now I'd just like to be back in the 2600's.

#31 ·
Thats my favorite bumper as well. I have a 01 2.5rs bumper right now, but still want a Ver 1-3.

I haven't wieghed my car, but i have no rear bumper beam, removed rear wheel well (replaced with a thin sheet of aluminum), half a 2.5rs front bumper, no rear seats, no interior trim (except a dash), no air bags, no sound insulation, manual windows, no cats or mufflers (that saves weight right?), a cheap used CF hood... I imagine the car is pretty light. It is 75% rally cross only, i rarely drive it on the street, i know i would be smoked if i got hit. my car stock was 2650 (96 brighton coupe).

Thanks!

I was never a huge fan of lips and skirts. The only exterior, body changes I'd like to do is the v1-v3 (I think) front bumper. I'll do that when I get the car resprayed eventually.
This bumper:

As far as the lightweight stuff goes....well it just got more difficult. :lol:
I weighed it yesterday for the first time since the swap, and I'm basically back at stock weight.

Pre-swap: 2640~
Post-swap: 2730~

I'm running out of stuff I can safely remove/lighten since it's a daily. There are some spendy options left...battery is happening soonish:

-lightweight battery --> 20-30 lbs
-lighter exhaust --> ??
-aluminum hood --> ??
-lighter seats --> ??

If I get that v1-3 bumper I'll need to change the front beam somehow...light bumper beams would help A LOT, but those make me nervous....I could cut my front one to keep some strength instead of the JDM one I guess.

Was shooting for 2500's....but now I'd just like to be back in the 2600's.

#32 ·
This is the same approach I had for my car! BTW, cutting the lower half of the front bumper beam is a much better idea. You lose a lot of weight, but it is WAY stronger than the JDM beam. Doing a rear JDM bumper dropped a tad bit of weight too.

If you get a V3/4 bumper you should also get the aluminum hood too! They a frickin sweet (and light).

Nice work!

#33 · (Edited)

If you get a V3/4 bumper you should also get the aluminum hood too! They a frickin sweet (and light).

Yup, aluminum, or carbon paint matched.
Doing the hood, bumper beam, and battery would help a lot, especially since it's the front of the car where I need it.

I forgot about gas last time I weighed the car. It didn't change much but I always go with:
-1/4 tank of gas
-full size spare (16x7)
-scissor jack and tire iron
-full interior

Current weight: 2720...So the swap added 80 lbs, not closer to 100 like I thought. Still a lot of weight... -_-

Current stuff:
Just been enjoying driving it. Clutch is almost broken in so I can have more fun. Scheduled a pro tune for sometime soon. Depends when I need to get the accessport fixed:

I had no heat shields on the turbo or downpipe. This is my first attempt at a DIY turbo heatshield....I used rectangular reflectors from 277 lights that are the perfect size. I left the underside the same reflective silver color, and used high temp spray paint on the top....and aluminum strips for the brackets.
$14 total. Cheap and simple.

Before, the intercooler was too hot to rest a hand on after driving....now touching the side right by the turbo is hot, but can rest a hand on. Really surprised how much of a difference it made.

Another engine bay picture. I cleaned up some stuff and painted a few things, like the alternator cover. Also replaced the main fuse because I accidentally touched the alternator wire to ground.

#34 · (Edited)

Not much to update. Got my coolant topped off today and have been just keeping an eye on everything. Finally past break in on the clutch, so last Tuesday I got a pro-tune at turboxs.

Jermaine did an awesome job....car feels smooth and holds boost better in higher rpm's....before the pro-tune, it felt like it ran out of breath too early....and I just wanted a nice, reliable tune. Gonna go back when I get my up pipe and other stuff.

I know numbers are just numbers, but it made around 220hp/260tq, with a downpipe and TGV deletes...still gotta get the plots though. Goals for weight and power are; lower 2600 lbs with around 300tq. Should make for a fun daily.

**rough estimates**
Stock L = 2730 lbs --- 100ish whp
Current = 2720 lbs --- 220hp/260tq
Goal = 2600 lbs --- 260hp/300tq

and a random picture from a gravel road the other day. I keep forgetting I have a set of steelies and oem wrx wheels I can use for gravel duty on the weekends....gonna try them out this week possibly:

#35 · (Edited)

-The end of August marked 3 years since I've had the car, and just this past weekend I hit 160,000 miles....60,000 miles, 3 years, and 2 engines, but still so much to do...

-Anyway, the other day I noticed the e-clip for the wastegate actuator was kinda loose. I tried to crimp it tighter but it didn't work well. I ran out to get more clips and stuff and on the way it felt like I lost 1/2 the power all of a sudden. I was thinking something bad happened....but the actuator just popped off. :lol:

Now I keep a whole box of e-clips in the car, incase that **** ever happens again:

-Sunday I cleaned the interior and got it all back together for the first time since before the swap. I need a better mount for the accessport, and will be adding real gauges soon.
I also re-finished the connecting rod shifter a couple weeks ago....when the car was sitting for that month during the swap, the shifter started rusting.

-Today I did my take on the DIY grounding mod. I used red, stranded, 12g wire.....I can get wire from work so it was free and red 12 was all we had. I will be re-doing this later on with 10g black wire to hide it better.

My main focus was the grounds for the injectors/coils/ect for each side.

I started at the negative battery terminal, and ran a separate wire to each side of the intake manifold where the engine harness grounds already were. I wanted a straight shot to the battery for both of those. Then, since I knew the manifold is a really nice ground, I used another bolt hole and ran it to the driver's side strut tower.

#36 · (Edited)

Ordered a mechanical boost/vac gauge tonight. The accessport shows me hitting 16-17 lbs. at times, so I'd like to see what the real PSI is. Hope to install that this weekend so I can send the accessport off to get fixed next week.

-I never liked the oem corner lights, but couldn't decide on amber or clear. I got curious and tinted my stock ones to amber...it took a bunch of coats to turn orange, but its a pretty close match.

I definitely like the amber look now, and will be picking up a set...but again let me mention how I dislike my front bumper. I wish I didn't black out the bottom, and have to change my fog light set-up...but hopefully I can respray this one to all red, or get the v3-v4 one soon.

-Had to replace the oil filler neck & o-ring. It was leaking a ton of oil, probably because the o-ring was hard as a rock! I wasn't sure if the neck was cracked (it wasn't) so I just bought the whole part from Subaru...it came with a new o-ring, and the little bracket too for only like $22. Pretty cheap for a dealership part.

#37 · (Edited)

This weekend I installed a TurboSmart mechanical boost gauge. I should have just bought a real mount or something...but I took out one of the dash vents and put the gauge there.

I cut the HVAC tube to make room and blocked it off so the other side still flows nice. :D ...ran the wiring and tube in that plastic conduit stuff, and wired it to the same place as my LED's.

For boost it shows the same reading as the accessport...anywhere between 16-17 psi at full boost. Good to know the accessport is accurate for boost.

It reads -20 at idle, fully warmed up. Also good to know that I have proper vacuum at idle. (I think?)

Here's a few pictures of it finished...for now....moved the accessport too. I'd like to make a backing plate type thing to go behind the gauge. I also need white/ blue bulbs for the stock cluster to match the head unit and boost gauge.

Little bit of weight reduction from this weekend....random stuff....a 5 whole lbs. ;)
I removed the hunk of metal under the drivers side dash...and I have no clue why I had a steering wheel cover, so I took that off too. Hopefully I'm getting close to the 2600's again...

Passed inspection last week. PA is easy, so it was no issue with the swap and stuff...I'm fully catted anyway.

#38 · (Edited)

Haven't really done much lately except drive it. Just been keeping up with things and preparing for winter. Still running pretty good...I get anywhere from 22-25 MPG depending how I drive. Pulls nice and still hitting 16-17 lbs.

Changed oil on Saturday (11/1/14). I mention it so I can remember for once:

...random fall picture:

I lose a bit if oil between changes...but it's at random times. There was nothing in the TMIC or compressor outlet, and no leaks....so maybe the turbo...just gotta pull the DP and see but I'm lazy.

..when I get my up-pipe I'll probably just get rebuilt/new td04 too.

I finally installed the little gasket/plug I was missing for the cam position sensor....before it was just a wide open hole around the sensor and I didn't want water getting in:

I want to clean up the bay some. My plan:

-Relocate battery
-Move the bracket holding the BCS and 02 plugs.
-Simplify the spaghetti mess of EVAP hoses
-Hide Alternator wire (and others)

I made a cover for the BCS bracket because the oem WRX cover wouldn't work...that's why I'm just going to move it instead. I also mocked up the EVAP hose simplification on my spare manifold....it removes the circular valve and hoses, just leaving 2 hoses and the Fuel Vapor solenoid.

I started the battery relocation last week. This is my first attempt and I'm sure I'll re-do it later on. I'm running the wire in flexible conduit, and the battery behind the passenger seat in a box. So far I only have the box mounted and conduit mocked up.

I will be using 1 AWG THHN wire in Sealtite conduit and watertight connectors. I'm only running the POS up front....NEG will be grounded to a seat bolt. There will be a 200 amp breaker on the POS. There's a picture below comparing 1 AWG to different wire sizes I had from work.

I made a bracket to tie down the battery and bolted it right to the floor. I'm planning to re-use the normal j-hooks. The box is plastic, and doesn't support any of the battery's weight. It's only there to conceal the battery, wires, and breaker.

I'm going through the drivers side firewall, because I don't want to risk a leak over the ECU on the passenger side. Not much room to hide the conduit but it won't be too visible to anyone except the driver anyway.

#40 · (Edited)

^^thanks...but it seems I jinxed myself with the last update...and bad.

I have the p1443 code and can't figure out which solenoid is the correct one to look it/fix.

Can anyone tell me if it's the solenoid BESIDE the charcoal canister.....or ABOVE the charcoal canister!??

Also, this morning on the drive to work I noticed a ton of Feedback knock on the accessport. I almost turned around and went home because it was so bad.

It shows -4.x during any acceleration!! Even slowly getting up to speed shows knock the entire time until I let off the throttle. The DAM stays the same and there's no fine knock correction, so I'm not sure what's going on. Only CEL is that p1443.

So frustrating.

#42 ·
Thanks for the link. I found a helpful bit about the test mode connectors I didn't see when I read that page yesterday. I spent a good couple hours reading around different Subaru forums but didn't find much.

I still can't figure out which solenoid is the "vent control solenoid valve" the CEL refers to.

Last night I dropped the charcoal canister down and removed one of the solenoids. Nothing seemed obviously wrong but I ran out of daylight so I put it back together.

Today I'm gonna completely remove the charcoal canister and check it out. I'm also gonna remove and inspect every hose back there to check for blockage.

Not sure what else to do besides that....

#44 · (Edited)

So the past month or so I've been having random issues....the EVAP cel, brake issues, oil randomly burning, and some other stuff. I just wanted to thank everyone on here that's helped me cause this stuff gets frustrating.
....but I've also gotten some things done I've wanted to do for a while.

Winter is here though, so the snow tires and winter wheels are on....definitely needs taller tires.

For the p1443 I took all the EVAP stuff apart and made sure there was no blockage, and made GOOD connections on ALL the hoses....to hopefully rule out a small vac leak. I also replaced the gas cap for shits and giggles.

It was off for 1,000 miles then came back last week....so I don't know what to do there. It's been off since then, but we'll see how long it lasts.

2 weeks ago a brake cylinder decided to explode on me....while replacing that and bleeding the brakes, I broke the bleeder off the other wheel cylinder...so I had to replace that too. One of the calipers up front was dragging too...so I greased it all up and replaced all the pads up front.

That should hold me off for brakes until spring....then I'm overhauling ALL the brakes....discs in rear for sure.

There's still some other issues...but I'm just keeping an eye on everything and trying to get it through winter. After winter I should finally be able to get a spare GC for when this one has problems. Then I'll have 2 GC impreza's and be happy.

#45 · (Edited)

Had a long Thanksgiving weekend off work, and was able to get some things installed/done. I installed a GD impreza master cylinder brace, smaller fuel filter, deleted the antenna, and finally relocated the battery.

Then I re-did the POS wire for the battery relocation yesterday. At first I used rubber/metal conduit, with 1AWG THHN wire....now I used all plastic conduit and fine stranded audio/battery cable.

Engine bay is starting to look better:

--Battery relocation

The conduit is mounted at the box, firewall, and engine bay.....the other clamps are attached to the center console trim, but are just to keep it in place. Overall, the wire is very secure and protected.

I was able to use a normal j-hook set up for the tie down. It just uses two pieces of aluminum that basically sandwich the battery and keep it from moving....again the box is just to hold the wires and breaker....the structure is all in the frame I bolted to the floor.

I used a seat rail bolt for the NEG wire. I made sure it was ALL bare metal with a wire wheel....bolted it down good....then sprayed a layer of Rustoleum to prevent rust.

--Master cylinder brace and fuel filter

Figured I would try one out....I'd say it helped the pedal feel a little bit...cool piece to have too. I bought a Perrin one for a GD knowing it wouldn't fit....but I made it work.

The oem fuel filter was obviously in the way....and I recently saw some people with a smaller inline filter....so I bought one online. It's from a company called JEGS, and is about the size of a D-battery.

The Perrin brace has 3 mounting holes...2 line up perfect where the fuel filter bracket was....but the 3rd needed a hole drilled. The set screw/bolt was also too short so I picked up a longer one from a hardware store. Feels solid.

--Antenna delete

Used the Grimmspeed block off plate. Pretty easy...the antenna just pulled right out. Took the a-pillar cover off for no reason. :lol:

...and here's the little bit of weight reduction from the past month. I know I added weight with the battery relocation....but I still like to keep track of the stuff I remove. I should be into the 2600's again....I just need to go get weighed

#52 ·
Thanks!
I just like to explain how and why I did things.....and it helps me keep track of how and why I did things. :lol:

one of the very few build threads i've read from top to bottom. i like.
Thanks!
I've been following your thread for a long time....always a good read. The turbo'd ej22 set up is sweet....hopefully you get all the kinks worked out.

Awesome direction you're going!

Motivation for the rest of us!

I'm doing the same thing w/ mine, cleaning it up, getting rid of the unnecessary weight and cleaning up rust. It's been in WA state it's whole life but there's quite a bit of rust still, good work though!
Thanks!

That's the only thing about GC's I hate...the rust! My rear 1/4 panel rust actually just started this year.....I saw it starting to bubble up over the summer. At least it managed to hold off 14 years of northeast winters.

I regret rebuilding my ej205 because it's a long, arduous, nerve wracking, frustrating, and expensive process. But I beefed it up, so it's not all bad. The biggest problem has been remembering how everything went. I started the motor in school, so I took it apart in august, and am just now putting it back together. CP pistons, sti rods, king bearings, cross drilled crank. About $1600 in the shortblock, on top of the initial cost of the complete engine, crossmember, sway bar, and harness ($1500), then the UEL header (ebay unit, got it for free) up-pipe (used $100) downpipe (cnt-$280) and catback ($250 used SRS) makes the total cost about $3,730. About the same price as the car.

Well like you said, its not all bad because you'll have a fresh engine.....definitely worth it in the end.

If I can ever find a 91-94 turbo leggy at the junkyard...I'll take it's super awesome engine and rebuild the bottom end to have a spare block....and eventually do a 205/22t hybrid.

#50 ·
Awesome direction you're going!

Motivation for the rest of us!

I'm doing the same thing w/ mine, cleaning it up, getting rid of the unnecessary weight and cleaning up rust. It's been in WA state it's whole life but there's quite a bit of rust still, good work though!

#55 ·
Yeah, the ecu and wiring allows the Accessport to hook right up as if it were a WRX.

love what youre doing. FYI I removed my front and rear bumper beams on my old car. I bet i lost like 50lbs total. Its crazy how little metal is in those jdm ones.

Thanks.

I've decided to just cut the front one when I get my new bumper...to have some protection up front....and maybe get a JDM one for the rear.

Next weight reduction will be a catback....the oem wrx one is really heavy because of the muffler....so an aftermarket one should help me drop 10-15 lbs or so.

Just don't know which one to go with yet.

#56 ·
make a custom "cat-back". make it go above the hangers in the rear, then you can go straight through the bumper, it's rally amazing.

Like mine! except, I might recomend a little more subtle cutting of the bumper.

ps, yes i removed my spare tire well for a sheet of aluminum as well.

#57 · (Edited)

it's rally amazing.

:lol: :lol:

...I also want to keep a quiet exhaust, so my catback choice is pretty limited. I can't weld either, so that throws out making my own.

Right now...it's basically a stock WRX exhaust system....the ONLY aftermarket part is the Cobb catted downpipe. It's just as quiet as the ej22 with stock exhaust was.

I hate to hop on the Cobb bandwagon....but their catback is supposed to be quiet and about 10 lbs or so lighter than the OEM wrx one....I just need to find a used one.....but I still don't know....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.