2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction! - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction!

Old 03-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
Fav Mod: Ej205
Trader Rating: (1)
Default 2001 Subaru MoneyPit (Impreza L)

--Finally got that evaporator out last week. Combined weight with leaves and stink bugs was around 3 lbs.

--Last night I disassembled the ej20 heads. Other tools didn't work, so I used the c-clamp idea I read about, and it worked awesome. Then today I cleaned the heads and valves/springs/retainers....everything looks pretty good...but I think I want new valves at least:

Also last week I broke my fog lights...stupid ice...the LED's are fine though.
I filled the old holes and crack from where the lights broke from their mounts, and sanded it all down. I was about to finish re-spraying that spot but I got snowed out...2nd picture is how it will basically look like for a while:

I don't really like it...might get some circle lights again...or maybe I'll try to get a new/different bumper paint matched this spring...I've always liked the v3-v4 (I think) bumper.

On the bright side, since the engine is all the way disassembled and some-what clean, it's ready for the machine shop!
Gonna drop it off in the next few weeks...it'll probably be there for a month or so...which means I can start gathering parts.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 03-03-2014 at 06:36 PM..
RavensFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #12
RavensFan77
Premium Member

--Finished the bumper and light set-up repair, from when the lights were ripped out/broken.

All sanded down:

Done:

I really like this bumper...so I might get one paint matched this spring. It will also allow me to cut my bumper beam and make it lighter!:

Also removed the old Hella 500 wiring and switch:

--Put a friends exhaust on for him and he practically gave me his set of wrx wheels. Probably gonna use them next winter or maybe for gravel fun this spring/summer:

Last weekend I basically had the whole interior out, cleaning under the carpet and seeing how the bare metal floors held up this winter....and they still look exactly the same...which is awesome! Got some other stuff done while I had the carpet up:

--More weight reduction!
Finally got more of the trans tunnel sound deadening. This stuff was THICK...and amazingly I was able to just rip it off with no dry ice or heat!!

Some stuff I remove is solely for weight reduction but some is old, broken and unneeded stuff. Like this part from the glovebox that was almost seized....which probably explains why I've always hated my glovebox...now it's really smooth and easy to open/close:

More stuff removed was:
-drivers side, REAR seat belt
-lots of nuts/bolts
-old wires/switches/plugs
-part of the center console

So maybe another 10 lbs or so?....getting close. Gonna try to get weighed this week/weekend at an accurate scale that also can tell f/r weight distribution...

....and since I randomly started thinking about weight distribution, I moved the washer fluid tank to the trunk. Needed to start moving things back, so this is a good start...it also means I NEVER have to remove the washer fluid tank to work on the driver's side of the engine bay.

I plumbed the wires and hose through the same firewall grommet I use for my aux. light wires...then they run next to those 3 fuel or brake lines on the drivers side under the carpet...up onto the rear strut tower...and into the trunk.

I somehow read the size wrong and ran a slightly-too-large hose to connect the nozzles to tank...I didn't realize until I tested it out because the hoses still fit nice and snug....just not snug enough, and it was slowly seeping out. Got these watertight connectors, some pipe thread sealant, and...problem solved:

Found a fabric I like for my shift boot. It's almost like a canvas material, but softer. Here's a mock-up, but not sure if I like it yet:

Might go back to the connecting rod shifter. Also for the trunk....I'm gonna fill EVERY hole with body filler, sand the whole trunk down, and spray/dip it black or white. Gonna start at the trunk and work my way towards the front...just cleaning and protecting all the interior metal. Thankfully there isn't much rust, and I want to keep it that way.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 03-18-2014 at 07:48 PM..
Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
AWDkid
...Lower it

Fav Mod: CCW LM5T's :)
Trader Rating: (45)

Thats a awesome shift knob you made haha
Old 03-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDkid View Post
Thats a awesome shift knob you made haha
The connecting rod?

Thanks, haha. Can't tell if you're serious, or yanking my chain.

I've seen them around a few times and thought it was pretty cool. It screws on like a normal shift knob too.

Now you got me wanting to put it back on....although the shorter one in my last post feels really nice and solid with the newer shifter bushings I have.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 03-19-2014 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #15
AWDkid
...Lower it

Fav Mod: CCW LM5T's :)
Trader Rating: (45)

No for real it's awesome love it lol
Old 03-27-2014, 02:47 AM   #16
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Smaller update.

50,000th mile I've put on this car, she's getting up there!:

...and so it begins.....this big box came on Tuesday:

Still needs ecu, but that should be what I need.

Yesterday I dropped off the ej205 block and heads to the machine shop. Roads are rough around here

Still can't decide on internals though. 79mm crank would be cool, but $$
Gotta see what the machine shop says first...

Last edited by RavensFan77; 03-27-2014 at 02:52 AM..
Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #17
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Ok, bad news from the machine shop the other week....the threads I broke on the block are gonna cost too much to fix, so it's best to get more case halves or a new shortblock.
These threads: (oil cooler bolt)

Which is fine, but now I'm not gonna do the 2.1 I'm just getting a complete, running, used ej205 to swap in. This will save me like $2,000-$3,000 total in the swap, and make things easier for me. I wanted a new engine, but low mileage will do for now.

I also bought some more parts for the swap recently, and started digging this money pit even deeper:
-true gc8 crossmember
-dash harness from a '99 OBS
-new wheels

Will post pics of the harness and crossmember when I get it, but these are the wheels....I call them my "budget rally wheels".

16x7 with my 215/50-16's summers from last year:

The last update I put the washer fluid tank in the trunk, and there's an issue when doing that:
While braking down hills or heavy braking in general....washer fluid would shoot out without pressing the button....so a valve of some sort was needed.

BRZcory gave me the idea to wire up a solenoid to the button....and it worked perfect.
Wired it in parallel with the button and placed the solenoid right before the nozzles. Since electricity travels faster than water, this set up works perfect! No more random washer fluid shooting out.

I need to clean up the install, wires and maybe mount it underneath the pitch mount, not right on top. I really just wanted to make sure it would work:

I also re-mounted my auxiliary light switch. Since I removed my old Hella wires and switch, I needed another switch plate to hold my one remaining switch. I just modified one of the blank switch covers:

Last edited by RavensFan77; 04-14-2014 at 07:53 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #18
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Mostly ordering and waiting on parts now...since I'm attempting a weekend swap I'm getting everything done that I can, while still driving it. The ecu came the other week and I finally sent all the stuff out to iWire for the merge.

-slowly taking the dash/console stuff out and labeling connectors

-installed the new fuel pump early. I knew it would save time for the install weekend....especially since I broke a stud on the gas tank.

Dw300 pump. Larger, and better reviews than the 255:

-more parts came last week:
--gc8 crossmember
--gc8 hood/intercooler splitter
--wrx wagon front sway bar (20mm)
--v3 accessport

Wrx wagon bar is 20mm to my surprise...I thought it was 19. The 2-hole wrx brackets won't work, along with the bushings. I think the L/RS brackets and bushings work....I'll just ream the 19mm to 20mm.

I quickly sanded and sprayed the x-member and sway bar....both were pretty clean, but I want NO rust on my new stuff.
Since the x-member is near the exhaust I used high temp. paint....and the store only had flat black....sway bar is ok with regular stuff so I used red.

More little stuff to do and order this week...and hopefully I can order the engine finally. I was supposed to last week but never got ahold of the guy.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 05-05-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Old 05-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #19
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Been wanting to redo my de-powered rack for a while. Still waiting on my steering rack bushings and new clamps, but here is my new and improved manual converted rack. My last one was done in a rush but I still really like the way it feels...this new one should be even better.

Its a new (reman) rack...most of the factory PS fluid was already drained out due to poor shipping from FedEx....the lines were all bent up and leaked the fluid. Good thing I don't need them:

I drained the remaining fluid and plugged the 2 holes by the pinion gear. I used 2 of the fittings, cut and removed the hardline, filled with metal epoxy and painted them (3rd is a different story):

The other 2 holes, see below, are supposed to be looped together to equalize the air between sides or something.... I just used some rubber hose, copper 90's and hose clamps. I didn't do this last time, and I think it will make a difference:

This time I used Lucas oil red 'n tacky for my grease. I cleaned the factory grey colored grease out of the pinion housing and pinion gear best I could, then covered it with the new stuff:

Entire assembly. No PS lines is nice:

Last edited by RavensFan77; 05-12-2014 at 02:54 AM..
Old 05-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #20
RavensFan77
Premium Member

I pulled some steering rack brackets off a junkyard impreza and cleaned them up. sprayed the rack with a few layers of black for extra rust protection, put on the Whiteline bushings, and bolted it all up. I had concerns before, but it all fits
Nothing is torqued down, that'll happen once its on the car:

The engine came a couple weeks ago...some broken and missing parts but the most of it was there, just dirty.

Peplaced some parts and did some maintenance. New TGV motor, got the flywheel off, and cleaned the threads of almost every bolt I pulled out.

I Installed the group n motor mounts. Rustoleum for nuts and bolts because Pennsylvania:

Last edited by RavensFan77; 05-26-2014 at 09:56 PM..