2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction! - Page 19 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction!

Old 05-21-2016, 07:58 AM   #181
Ted
2.5L RS-T

Trader Rating: (3)

You ever leakdown cylinder 4?
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #182
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
Fav Mod: Ej205
Trader Rating: (1)

Yea, compression and leakdown were done before it was torn down to replace the valve.
RavensFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:12 AM   #183
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Default 2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

Rain, rain, and more rain slowing things down. Can't finalize the core support anyway because I'm still waiting/looking for a lightweight hood, passenger headlight, and corner lights.

...but anyway.....I made a new electrolysis set-up. Made use of the rebar from my old set-up, and just bought a deeper container. This time I welded the cage together instead of just linking it all with copper wire.

First up to be de-rusted is the little flywheel cover thing underneath the engine, and a bunch of hardware. I'm very curious how the hardware will turn out. I also have a spare turbo header I want to try.

While I wait on parts, I did some more little things inside the engine bay.
--Closed off some unused bolt holes. The main reason was to get rid of rusty broken bolts from a while ago....and it made the bay look a little better I guess.

The plan for the engine bay is to add minimal bondo and metal patches.....so I might not close off many more things, mainly because it'll just add a bunch of time and weight.

Passenger side strut tower had 4:

Drivers side strut tower had 2, plus the holes for the VIN plate. I removed the VIN plate because it's been falling off for years

Ran into a little rust issue on one of the holes.....which caused this side not to turn out as well as the driver's side. Drilled it out, and before I knew it I was cutting a somewhat large hole in the strut tower.

I didn't bother making the patch piece perfectly to size, because it was at a very awkward spot on the strut tower. There's a "bump out" from the factory, and it's where 2 panels meet. Not a fun patch, but it turned out OK after it was done.

I also cut and re-mounted the fuse box mount strap a little lower. Can't really see it from the picture though.

Also went to the two pick-n-pulls near me on Saturday. I was disappointed to see that there's still only 2, 93-01 Impreza's total between both places.....and both have been there almost 2 years.

So even though they didn't have anything I really needed, I did grab a new passenger fender plug.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 06-01-2016 at 06:37 AM..
Old 06-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #184
181stLeader
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Aerosim Carbon Widebody
Trader Rating: (14)

Nice! I love seeing progress on this car! Man that LGT seems cursed! Is there an intake on the car or is it stock?
181stLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #185
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

towers look much cleaner without those holes/rust. nice work. i need to do this to mine.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #186
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Default 2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181stLeader View Post
Nice! I love seeing progress on this car! Man that LGT seems cursed! Is there an intake on the car or is it stock?

Thanks! Can't wait to see how your widebody turns out.

I think the Legacy is definitely cursed or something. It's completely stock besides a catback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.of.the.Jungle View Post
towers look much cleaner without those holes/rust. nice work. i need to do this to mine.

Yea, it always bugged me seeing all the broken bolts as soon as I opened the hood. I figured they'd all rust out eventually, so I'm glad I took care of it while I had the chance.

Although, it would've been much easier to do with the struts out. Getting decent prep work on the backside was hard. Didn't want to catch the rubber undercoating on fire.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 06-01-2016 at 08:40 PM..
Old 06-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #187
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

and fire extenguisher stuff is NOT fun to clean up.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:33 AM   #188
RavensFan77
Premium Member

^^

No real progess on the cars last week. Went up to Wellsboro all weekend to watch STPR. So to make up time, I stopped looking for a used lightweight hood, and just ordered an OEM aluminum hood from Subaru. Should be here in a couple days.

The dealership dude said there's only 8 left in the country now:
Part number = 57220FA130

Yay for weight reduction!
Also, the LGT may be going away. Thinking of trading it for something. It would kinda be a downgrade (no turbo) but it's a low mileage car and hard to pass up. Just can't decide....

---------------
---------------

Here's some pictures from STPR. I still have a bunch to go through and edit.

This was my second year watching STPR. I actually planned out a trip this year, instead of going last minute by myself like last year. Such a great time, can't wait for next year....I wish there were other events closer.

Pastrana:

Loved this Porsche:

Last edited by RavensFan77; 06-08-2016 at 02:43 AM..
Old 06-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #189
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Almost got rid of the Legacy GT...so, so close, but it didn't work out. At all. Here's a quick rant/story:

I came across a 2000 Impreza L, with 70,000 miles and 1 owner, at a dealership 2 hours away. Over the phone the guy assured me the car was in amazing condition.....no rust on the body or underneath, no accidents, all original paint and body stuff, ect.
(CarFax also said no accidents)

Wasted no time and made a trip over....Unfortunately, after a 150 mile drive, this is what I arrived to see:

--damaged radiator support and a/c condenser.....so it was in a front end accident.

--rust EVERYWHERE. Strut towers, engine brackets, suspension, subframes....ect. It was BAD.

Pictures don't show it all. The underside of the car was bad. Pretty sure the oil pan was rusted through, because it was dripping onto the ground.

--rear of car must have also been resprayed, because the exhaust tip was the same color as the car.
Scratches everywhere. Visible rear 1/4 panel repairs...ect.

Super disappointing. I was very excited to get a second 93-01 car. I'm sure it ran OK...but for $4400 with only 70,000 miles wouldn't you expect minimal rust and no body repairs?

I hope no one on this forum ends up with the car for the price they were asking. The guy told me I was being too "picky" and the car was in perfect condition for the miles......so frustrating.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 06-11-2016 at 03:08 PM..
Old 06-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #190
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

i would have been PISSED off and we would have had some words. i'm willing to bet you made sure he knew you were driving that far..