2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction! - Page 16 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction!

Old 03-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #151
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
Fav Mod: Ej205
Trader Rating: (1)
Default 2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

I've read around recently, and many times before.....but what do you guys think about the 2 bellhousing alignment pins/dowel pins. Are they really necessary?

The Impreza hasn't had them for AT LEAST the last 70,000 miles.....but probably longer. There were none to be found when I yanked the old ej22, and I didn't put in any with the ej205.

Since I'm taking the engine out soon I was wondering if I should worry about getting new pins or not?

When I bought the ej205, it was missing one and the other was all smashed up....so I had to remove it. Then the hole was too chewed up to hold the new pin in place, and I figured it would be pointless to only have 1....so there isn't any.

Without them, it makes splitting the engine and transmission super easy. For the same reason Ive considered taking the pins out of the Legacy when the clutch is replaced.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 03-09-2016 at 06:33 PM..
RavensFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #152
Tsidreams
3.3L

Car: EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
Fav Mod: DRIVER

I've had cars with one or no dowel pins without any noticeable issues. I always try to re-install them though. The transbolts provide a high tensile strength to hold engine and trans together, but due to the hole to bolt clearance (usually a 1mm tolerance at each hole radially), the bolts do not provide a fixed datum. The dowel pins are the locating features to insure the trans and engine are aligned properly (Providing 2 of the 3 axis needed to secure no movement. Otherwise there could be excess stress on the pilot bearing. they also prevent the trans from rotating from the engine (however unlikely).
Old 03-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #153
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Damn, that's kinda what I figured....I was just hoping someone would say "naaahh, I never use them on my engines, you'll be fine."

It just made splitting the engine and trans sooooo easy, not having to fight those pins. I guess I'll enjoy one last easy split, and throw them in while the engine is out.

I'll atleast install the one, the second one may not be able to because of the messed up hole.....have to see once it's out. I suppose I'll keep them in the Legacy as well.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #154
Ted
2.5L RS-T

Trader Rating: (3)

Next install, sand the dowels smooth and coat them in anti-seize. The motor and trans will separate like a dream next time.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #155
Tsidreams
3.3L

YUP^^^

I usually take a wire wheel to them, or a little fine grit sand paper. then anti-seize as well. 10x easier the next time.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:25 AM   #156
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Default 2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

Sweet, thanks for the tips guys. I'll definitely give it a try.

Had to change plans, so it looks like I'll be pulling the Legacy's engine this weekend. I'll butter up those pins first, and order some new ones for the Impreza soon.

So once the Legacy's clutch is fixed, the Impreza will finally have my full attention.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 03-15-2016 at 02:38 AM..
Old 03-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #157
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Next install, sand the dowels smooth and coat them in anti-seize. The motor and trans will separate like a dream next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsidreams View Post
YUP^^^

I usually take a wire wheel to them, or a little fine grit sand paper. then anti-seize as well. 10x easier the next time.

Something happened the last time I posted this, or maybe I never even posted it...idk lol......but after all my concerns about the dowel pins, I broke part of the trans case on the LGT where the dowel fits into.

Thankfully it didn't break off a larger piece. I still cleaned and greased the pins up really good before I put the engine back.

Here's a couple more pictures from the clutch replacement. The TOB was destroyed, and as soon as the engine was lifted out I saw the ball bearings scatter onto the ground.

I switched it over to an '06+ WRX clutch set up, to get rid of the stupid dual mass flywheel the LGT comes with. LGT and the Impreza have the same clutch now.

Starting the core support stuff on the Impreza this weekend or next. Finally

Last edited by RavensFan77; 03-25-2016 at 06:54 PM..
Old 04-12-2016, 03:21 AM   #158
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Took the Impreza out on Sunday for one last drive (for a while).

Engine is out and inside. I'll start drilling out the core support stuff this week. Gonna do some maintenance, cleaning, and upgrading to the engine while it's on the stand too.

One small thing I did to the Impreza a couple weeks ago. Changed out a brass fitting to plastic, on my coolant overflow hose.

Not sure what made me think of changing it.....but turns out brass is not the best material for a connector in our coolant systems. Interesting info here about different metals and how they react with aluminum engines:

Material Choice

Last edited by RavensFan77; 04-12-2016 at 03:31 AM..
Old 04-18-2016, 02:32 AM   #159
RavensFan77
Premium Member

I was able to get a few hours in yesterday on the Impreza, and got some of the core support off. A lot of time lately has been spent trying to decide if I should push the Legacy GT off a cliff, or just set it on fire.

-First time drilling spot welds. Very easy with a center punch and spot weld cutter. Center punch is a MUST. The spot weld bit likes to walk all over the place.

Pictures of said tools:

-These are the two panels I took off. The passenger wheel tub/apron panel is the next and possibly final panel that needs removed.

-Pictures of the partially disassembled front end. Feels weird since I was driving it 7 days ago lol.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #160
Tsidreams
3.3L

Coool.
good work!