2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction! - Page 14 - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com

Private Support i-Trader Ratings Become a Vendor Rules for VendorsModsUsers Contact
Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
gc8 RSS GC8 Facebook Subaru GC8 Twitter Subaru YouTube Channel Subaru Sticker

Login below or Register Now
Register Mark Forums Read FAQ Advertise
Go Back   Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com > >
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | Rust repairs and weight reduction!

Old 11-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #131
beastmodegc8
2.2L

Trader Rating: (0)

Wow, awesome build, glad you decided to fix it instead of junking it! Beautiful car and awesome swap!
beastmodegc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #132
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
Fav Mod: Ej205
Trader Rating: (1)
Default 2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | currently under construction

^^^^ thanks. Can't wait to have it freshly painted once everything is all fixed.

-----------

Here's some stuff I picked up recently, and things I was working on before the accident. Finally got more pictures from my camera uploaded.

Got this little tool recently. Should help with some stuff.

Besides the steel control arm, I also picked up a set of gc8 aluminum arms with all the washers. Not sure when I'll install those. Also got airbags....they probably won't go in for a while either.

A few months ago I finished one of the rear knuckles. Haven't had time to dunk the other yet. The picture next to the rusty knuckle is after 15+ hours total in the tank, BEFORE paint. Last picture is after paint.

Also traded in the junkyard calipers & brackets as cores for some reman ones, for a great price. Only painted one set so far. Non-painted reman on the left (obviously).

Fiberglass cover things have 90% of the fiberglass done. Haven't touched them since before the accident. I gotta trim the excess and add some layers in a few spots....then sanding, painting and mounting. The epoxy-resin & fiberglass combo seemed to work very well.

Last edited by RavensFan77; 12-03-2015 at 12:21 PM..
RavensFan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #133
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Back to the repair stuff from last week:

The only obvious suspension damage was the passenger control arm and endlink, so I replace those. Once I got the car back on 4 wheels, I was expecting a massive toe out or something.....but the alignment looks good.

I'm still expecting something else to be bent....

Below you can see that the wheel is still centered in the wheel arch...compared to the picture before the new control arm.

To reinstall the airbox, I needed to hammer the core support back out....just to temporarily fit it and be able to close the hood.

I've been starting and driving it every few days to keep it running. It feels fine while driving....no weird shakes or pulling to either side. Transmission feels fine, and engine feels good.

I'll be starting the major repairs shortly, so it'll all be coming out soon. Noticed a leak at the rear output shaft on the tranny, so that'll come out at some point too. Lots of work ahead.......
Old 12-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #134
Jeff902
2.0L

Fav Mod: Brembos

You got lucky on that man. Congrats, I will stay tuned to see the recovery
Old 12-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #135
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

those control arms clean up very nice!

and wow! the fixing things stuff is coming along great!
Old 12-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #136
Tsidreams
3.3L

Car: EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
Fav Mod: DRIVER

Good work, sounds like the damage might not be too bad.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:56 AM   #137
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Came across some sweet PDF files from the service manual showing body/frame dimensions. I've also been talking to people that know a lot more than me, and got a better idea of what I need to do. So I did a bunch of measuring and comparing body points.....I was happy to see the strut tower bolts were all still equally spaced and symmetrical from the center line of the car......the measurements for all 3 bolts on each side are practically perfect.

There is a slight bend on the front of the passenger side frame rail....it's not very much, and only towards the very front. Shouldn't be a problem.

I made a tram gauge kinda thing to help with the measuring. Its not as perfect as a real one...but it's damn close, and MUCH more accurate than only using a tape measure.

The picture with green lines is showing the measurements I've checked that are still good/symmetrical. Still have more to do...

With the damage being so far forward of the struts, it should mean drivability won't be affected.
It's just the very front of the frame rail on the passenger side that's a little bent. Most easily seen where the bumper beam bolts up. The holes were around a 1/8"-1/4" off.

You can also see it where the bumper beam slides into the frame rails. The driver side is basically centered in the opening, while the passenger side is not.
2nd pic = pass. side (damaged)
3rd pic = driver side

Passenger side

Driver side

So I picked up some chains, 2 come-alongs, and started trying to straighten that side. I pulled from many different angles....slowly....and was able to get about 1/16"-1/8" of movement so far. If I can get another 1/32"-1/16" I'll be happy.

Compared to the pictures above, you can see things are lined up a little better here.

So that means it's almost time to start drilling the million spot welds, and replace the core support stuff. From what I've gathered so far, I'll need the upper rail, a lower passenger panel, passenger wheel tub, and a few other panels.

I've outlined the main panels in red that I'll need to replace in these pics:

Old 12-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #138
George.of.the.Jungle
Baby❤Daddy

Fav Mod: BOOOOOOST!!
Trader Rating: (75)

nice work!
Old 12-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #139
susiemk
2.5L RS-T

Car: GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
Fav Mod: EJ222+10psi=12.89s 1/4
Trader Rating: (58)

Nice car, glad you kept the car - love the lightweight setup & frame machine!

Looks like its coming together easier than anticipated, if this continues I'd say turbo upgrade (I happen to have a brand new in box HKS GT Turbo upgrade designed for ej20's in the classifieds (HKS's goal was fast response with very good topend power increase, pretty sure folks have made 380'ish WHP with these) - see my subaru parts) !

Last edited by susiemk; 12-16-2015 at 06:23 AM..
susiemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #140
RavensFan77
Premium Member

Finally picked up another car last Monday. Already been busy fixing it, so there's no new progress on the Impreza. I'll get some more pictures soon.....it's been raining or already dark outside every chance I get some free time.

2006 Legacy GT Limited, 5 speed

Not sure how I feel about it yet. It's just sooo much different than the Impreza.....so much heavier and larger, and so much more electronics and stuff. Makes me miss how simple and raw the Impreza is. It will certainly make a nice daily though....

I do however, like the 2.5 engine so far....I've only driven the 2.2 and 2.0 before this. The power/boost down low feels much better than the ej205. The 05-06 LGT's basically have an ej257 which is pretty cool I guess.