Came across some sweet PDF files from the service manual showing body/frame dimensions. I've also been talking to people that know a lot more than me, and got a better idea of what I need to do. So I did a bunch of measuring and comparing body points.....I was happy to see the strut tower bolts were all still equally spaced and symmetrical from the center line of the car......the measurements for all 3 bolts on each side are practically perfect.
There is a slight bend on the front of the passenger side frame rail....it's not very much, and only towards the very front. Shouldn't be a problem.
I made a tram gauge kinda thing to help with the measuring. Its not as perfect as a real one...but it's damn close, and MUCH more accurate than only using a tape measure.
The picture with green lines is showing the measurements I've checked that are still good/symmetrical. Still have more to do...
With the damage being so far forward of the struts, it should
mean drivability won't be affected.
It's just the very front of the frame rail on the passenger side that's a little bent. Most easily seen where the bumper beam bolts up. The holes were around a 1/8"-1/4" off.
You can also see it where the bumper beam slides into the frame rails. The driver side is basically centered in the opening, while the passenger side is not.
2nd pic = pass. side (damaged)
3rd pic = driver side
So I picked up some chains, 2 come-alongs, and started trying to straighten that side. I pulled from many different angles....slowly....and was able to get about 1/16"-1/8" of movement so far. If I can get another 1/32"-1/16" I'll be happy.
Compared to the pictures above, you can see things are lined up a little better here.
So that means it's almost time to start drilling the million spot welds, and replace the core support stuff. From what I've gathered so far, I'll need the upper rail, a lower passenger panel, passenger wheel tub, and a few other panels.
I've outlined the main panels in red that I'll need to replace in these pics: