Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

The Red Bomber and other orphans

65K views 251 replies 25 participants last post by  22bster 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been on this site for a very long time, many cars have come and gone. So i decided it should at least make a journal of my latest DD.

I don't have a ton of time to work on this, between my new garage being built and moving from one garage to another, working and picking up some house duties since my wife got a full time job.

But this is what she is: Brilliant Red 1995 Subaru Impreza L Sedan with a 2.2 and 4EAT. Manual windows and door lock also. 163K on here with timing belt and oil seals replaced at some point

Picked her up for cheap after I hit a deer with my 01 RS. Best part about it no quarter panel rot just a little rust starting. Very surprise for being a PA car all of its life.

First mods was some cheap struts and i picked up a set of 02-03 Maddad Road Hugger Springs from a buddy to give me a small drop.

I swapped a set of Legacy 15" 5 spokes with newish tires on them since the original owner was running bald tires in the back and new ones in the front.

Transferred my 19mm rear sway bar with kartboy endlinks on it also with a set of cheap ebay strut tower braces.

Also did a small tune up and flush a filled all fluids.

After i got all this sorted out and got a great alignment i decided to see what was up with the spray foam holding the headlight and marker in on the drivers side.

Since I removed the headlight the only spares I had were the 99-01 crystal clear headlights, so i installed them and a set of side markers. No grill for now until i can get to the junk yard.

Then the snow started here in the good old NE PA, so the set of studded Firestone Winter Force tires are on now.

Attachments

See less See more
#113 · (Edited)
Busy Busy boy here.

Had a customer bring in a 01 forester from another shop that already took it apart and said that they didn't want to do the head gaskets. Reason being is they said it was already done once and the engine is junk.

So i took it on and the guy was happy with the price and the work that was completed

#118 ·
picked up on of the ASF machine rear seal installer from flatironstuning.com.

tool works great but to justify the price you would need to use it often. for me i'm usually pulling and resealing about 6-8 subaru engines a year. between customers that come in and my own flip cars it just made sense to try one out.

the tool is a pretty simple design. it bottoms out on the crank and the seal is almost perfect depth. it has a smaller cut edge that presses on the oil seal. it also centers itself with the dimple that protrudes in the center of the crank.

i would of liked to see the oil seal be pushed in just a little bit more, but where it sits now is fine.

only down fall i saw is you need to use the longer bolts for a flywheel as the short ones for the flex plate do not even reach.

#133 ·
been way to busy with full time job, shop life and life in general to post on here or even work on my pending swap. that might change here in a few weeks when i'm on vacation for two weeks, but i doubt it.

anyways other updates include buying a new truck.

yep 2017 F250 crew cab with 8' box. all aluminum body so no more pesky rusty body.

but what else would i buy a truck for, towing those poor orphan subarus home.

this one here is an ugly duckling, but its what on the inside that counts right?

yep a ver1 wrx swap in a 95 coupe. couldn't pass it up for the price i payed.